WAG Shackles on beam?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Are shackles commonly used on beam? It was my turn at the carpool and my daughter's team were all complaining that they kept falling and hurting themselves because their feet would get caught while wearing shackles on beam. I don't know if it was because this was the first time they've used it on beam and that they will eventually get used to it or if they should not be using it on beam. They use them on floor and have no problems with it. But they say because their feet have to start together on beam, it tends to get tangled. Coaches?

I'm thinking shackles as in bungees or therabands...? Normally we wear them to improve our split and straddle jumps on floor but never on beam. Beam seems like a really dangerous place to wear them in the chance that your feet get caught and you have less control when falling.

My DD might have to be shackled to the beam from now till the first weekend in Dec. if she has any shot of getting her BHS BHS between now and her first meet! But seriously, no! I have never heard of such a thing. It sounds like a very very bad idea to me!

Low beam or high beam? I don't think there is any force on the planet that could make my DD do something on the high beam with a theraband on. She broke her arm badly a few years ago in a fall where her legs got kind of tangled up and she instinctively threw out her arm as she was going down. Hopefully some beam coaches will weigh in, but it sounds like a bad idea to me.

Our gym uses the therabands on beam all the time to improve their jumps. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting tangled up or hurt while using them on beam.

I'm going to assume OP is referring to a theraband or something similar in which case I can totally understand why their feet would get tangled because if you have it around your ankles with feet together it is very loose. The only way I could see it being a little better would be if they start with the theraband around their legs under their knees. Even still, working with a theraband is tough and it throws my balance off when I'm working out on a regular floor! Of course I'm no gymnast--ha! I'll be interested to hear the coaches weigh in.

If she is indeed talking about therabands (and I really hope she is) I know lots of gyms use them for leaps, some even on beam. But I can see how tangled they could get.

On floor , on the tape line, mostly for split jumps, etc. Sounds dangerous on high beam.

I too envisioned girls chained to the beam for the entire workout.

Oh my, I can imagine that my DD NEEDS to be shackled to the beam from time to time!! (at least until after her first meet LOL!)

LOL. Sorry. My daughter used that term and I could not for the life of me think of therabands. Yes, it is therabands. But thank you for the humor and all the responses. They were using therabands on beam and their feet were getting tangled. Just seemed dangerous to me.They were using therabands to perform their tumbling series.

We don't have a beam coach. So for the time being one of the other coaches is being trained. Her background is not not gymnastics and has some dance. She goes to another gym to get training and is studying the code of points. She may be good someday but right now she is just learning. So, I am just a little worried that she may not know yet what she is doing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back