Coaches Side somi

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Most of the drills I've seen for Side Somi are have to do with doing barrel rolls over blocks at shoulder height.

I think it's one of those skills that you either can figure out and do (besides having the guts) or you don't.

I do believe it's important to teach it with a 1/4 in or 1/4 out. I remember my boss telling me one bad landing and I'd blow my knee out and be done for.

Mainly I got it in my head to play with them on a tramp. My boss said I must have had Matrix on the mind.

Basically, bounce, bounce, star cartwheel in the air. Eventually I played with either a 1/4 in or out on both sides though I could only 1/4 in on my bad side and couldn't do it piked without getting lost.

Now if we are talking a beam side somi, that's a bit different with the aerial cartwheel entry. I've only taught a few kids a side somi and generally it was boys with lots of aerial awareness and guts.

It's still my favorite flip though it's been a long time since I could do them from a chasse and I switched to arabians on floor mainly because they were a bit easier as there had been a long time since I practiced the side somi from a RO to when I started doing them again in 2010 (5 years).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back