Coaches Side somi

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Most of the drills I've seen for Side Somi are have to do with doing barrel rolls over blocks at shoulder height.

I think it's one of those skills that you either can figure out and do (besides having the guts) or you don't.

I do believe it's important to teach it with a 1/4 in or 1/4 out. I remember my boss telling me one bad landing and I'd blow my knee out and be done for.

Mainly I got it in my head to play with them on a tramp. My boss said I must have had Matrix on the mind.

Basically, bounce, bounce, star cartwheel in the air. Eventually I played with either a 1/4 in or out on both sides though I could only 1/4 in on my bad side and couldn't do it piked without getting lost.

Now if we are talking a beam side somi, that's a bit different with the aerial cartwheel entry. I've only taught a few kids a side somi and generally it was boys with lots of aerial awareness and guts.

It's still my favorite flip though it's been a long time since I could do them from a chasse and I switched to arabians on floor mainly because they were a bit easier as there had been a long time since I practiced the side somi from a RO to when I started doing them again in 2010 (5 years).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back