WAG Skills - which level would that be in USAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twistingmia

Hey!

I am from Finland but now I live in the US. Next week, my cousin will come to the US as an exchange student and she wants to join a gymnastics class here. The only problem is, that we don't really know what Level she would be in in the USAG System, how many hours per week she could train here etc. Maybe you can help :)

Her skills are:

Flexibility:
Oversplits of about 8 inches
Very good shoulder and back flexibility

Strength:
10 pull-ups
20 leg raises
7 chin up pullovers
press handstand from straddle lever support
pike handstand (standing)
40 secs straddle support
20 secs L-Sit
10 secs V-Sit

Floor:
20 secs free standing handstand
Roundoff
Cartwheel
Side Aerial
Front/Back Walkover
Front/Back Handspring
Front/Back Tuck
working on layouts and front aerials

Bars:
pull over
long hang pull over
front/back hip circle
kip
long hang kip
clear hip
cast handstand
working on giants

Beam:
cartwheel
full turn
scale
roundoff
back wand front walkover
working on back handsprings

Vault:
front handspring

Hope that some of you will share their experience!

Mia

Sounds to me like a level 7. But I'm not sure. I don't think level 7s do front handspring vaults. You can check on USAG's website ( USA Gymnastics ) Just search usag on Google and you'll find it. Hope that helped. :)

At our gym she would be in with the level 5/6s, those that are training level 7 skills not the ones training level 5/6 skills. Sounds like she has all the skills for 5/6 and is uptraining the skills for 7.

Level sevens usually compete a handspring vault from what I have seen.

From what you say she'd be a level 5 or 6 (Depending on if the gym competes level 6) And she'd be working towards 7.

Level 7's compete front handspring vaults

The code of points for USAG values a front handspring vault at a 10.0. The vault she has will be sufficient for competing either 4,5,6, XCEL, or 7. I usually compete kids on the level of their weakest event. For example, if you have the layout on floor, back handspring on beam, front handspring on vault, but cannot meet the handstand or circling requirement on the bars for level 7, then I would compete the child at level 6 or XCEL. I wonder what her combination front tumbling is like? If she has a front handspring front tuck on the floor, then she might could pull off a decent enough start value to compete at Level 7.

I am located in Florida and the competition is very stiff here, therefore I do not move children to Level 7 without giants on bars. Every single gym and state is different. What state is she moving to?

If she were to walk into my gym tomorrow, then I would put her in the level 7 practice and not compete her until next year being as it is the end of January.

Final thought, doing the skills and doing the skills in routines is different. A coach would need to evaluate her combinations, and how she can put the skills together in a bar routine before deciding on her level. Best of luck to you and her!

She could easily compete Level 6 if she can do the skills in combination to have full routines. However, if she wanted to compete, she would either need to score out of L4 and L5 or Petition USAG into L6 or compete Xcel (she could compete Platinum... after one meet at Gold to get the mobility score, but using the same routines she would use in Platinum) with her skill set (given the above stipulation about putting it all together)

Have you visited any local gyms? I suggest you observe at a few ( within an easy drive) and approach the owner/ head coach with your situation. Being in a gym should be a great way for her to get to know girls her own age who share a common interest. I agree with the others she would be at a level 5/6 training 7. The coach should know about petitioning but I would think it could be arranged since she is from another country. Dunno would know more. How long will she be with you?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back