WAG Skipping optional levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You would have no way to verify who I was besides taking my word for it. Unless you required me to send a photocopy of my license and social security card. Many gyms don't have their own email system (really?) and my gym has nothing online about coaches. Besides the fact that even if they did what would stop me from just saying one of those names.

I've been on lots of forums and this is silly. Anyway your identity online is no more dangerous than your identity in a newspaper. I don't believe the internet is any more dangerous than real life for me because I don't engage in any if the behaviors that account for most cyber crime. Honestly, I'm more likely to be targeted for a random crime in real life.

Freaks come in a few categories here.

1. Freaks who are not members, just lurkers, they can read every post made, except those in private social groups. They can use the search functions to search particular topics and they can dredge for information. Some people give way too much detail out.

2. Freaks who are members and are here to specifically to get their particular fetish met. The two that spring to mind are the long term member Westham who pretended to be a young adult, German, female gymnast with leo issues. He actually was a middle aged, American banker living in Germany with a serious velour fetish. The second is the fart freak, who I have banned twice. Comes here and tells a disgusting tale about her young dd and then asks other parents to share equally disgusting tales to fill some kind of nasty fetishistic need.

3. Freaks who are members and who are long term posters. They lure you in by their stories or coaching prowess. BriBri514 was one of these. Great story, pulled everyone in, became a mod even. But in the end she did not really exists and managed to create 4 personas here that drew people further into her fantasy. She was blown out of the water by a number of members and slips ups. I fear there is at least one more of those amongst us, if not more.

I am pretty gifted at stalking people down, but there is only so much I can do to keep this place safe. It is why we keep younger gymmies off the board, or try to (they love to lie) and it is why I warn members to be careful who they share private info with, even if they think they know the member.
Eeekk!!! I am a clueless mom....and not much time on my hands to boot....I read CB at lunch most weekdays....I guess there really are crazy people out there! My hope is to get through the season with a healthy daughter, learn a little about what's coming at the next level (she just finished 9 and will compete 9 again next season) and hope I can give a little insight to newer parents when I can....but really, I guess some people are crazy with too much time on their hands!
Bog, you are great! Thanks for keeping this site going in spite of the freaks! :)

2. Freaks who are members and are here to specifically to get their particular fetish met. The two that spring to mind are the long term member Westham who pretended to be a young adult, German, female gymnast with leo issues. He actually was a middle aged, American banker living in Germany with a serious velour fetish. The second is the fart freak, who I have banned twice. Comes here and tells a disgusting tale about her young dd and then asks other parents to share equally disgusting tales to fill some kind of nasty fetishistic need.

At one of my compulsory meets there was a middle-aged man who was videotaping and taking pictures of the young girls competing. Turns out he didn't have a daughter or niece or anyone out there competing and had found out about our gymnastics meet and came to fill his nasty fetishistic need. He got thrown out obviously! I didn't find out about it until years later but after that I always made sure I wore as much clothing as possible right up until I had to go out and compete!

You would have no way to verify who I was besides taking my word for it. Unless you required me to send a photocopy of my license and social security card. Many gyms don't have their own email system (really?) and my gym has nothing online about coaches. Besides the fact that even if they did what would stop me from just saying one of those names.

I've been on lots of forums and this is silly. Anyway your identity online is no more dangerous than your identity in a newspaper. I don't believe the internet is any more dangerous than real life for me because I don't engage in any if the behaviors that account for most cyber crime. Honestly, I'm more likely to be targeted for a random crime in real life.
You could call JBS from your gym phone ?

Lol, now that our gym has moved to an old school (being converted into a new school), there isn't a phone in the coach's office. HC is the only one with an official phone line at the Y (because she is also gymnastics coordinator)... but she is never there - the Y is across town. Her voicemail has been full for at least 2 years now. Team knows to contact coaches on their cell phones or by email. Current rec families know to ask questions at the gym or leave msgs at the main desk. The main desk fields all of One of the parents that works at the Y brings the msgs to the gym.

Well I think I know more of the coaches than he does. I know Dunno, and I know who you are. I know GT and JBS of course. Some of the others I have communicated with and I "know" their gyms or I know enough about them to know I can trust them

But there are a couple on here that I have some definite issues with, which is why I constantly remind people to not trust anyone they do not know with information or videos.

JBS has never wanted to get into vetting coaches.
I can understand JBS' reticence. "Verifying" coaches could be interpreted by some as "endorsing" the coaches knowledge and opinions. And I can see why CB wouldn't want to open that can of worms. Anyway, I think the coaches on the forum do a great job of fact checking each others advice. Doesn't every coach who posts say quietly to themselves, "What will Dunno or Iwannacoach have to say about my advice," before answering a question?:D

Bog are you serious another Brianna!!??
I am usually pretty good at sniffing out liRs, but dang!! She/he was GOOD!!

That's weird and I'm not gonna do it . I seriously doubt I could possibly know half if what I've posted without being a coach/instructor. It seems like it's pretty obvious to me.

As far what dunno would say, he knows I respect him greatly but I will go head to head with him over hand placement on beam any day. That's just the way it is.

hat's weird and I'm not gonna do it . I seriously doubt I could possibly know half if what I've posted without being a coach/instructor. It seems like it's pretty obvious to me.

As far what dunno would say, he knows I respect him greatly but I will go head to head with him over hand placement on beam any day. That's just the way it is.[/QUOTE]

===========
It was just a suggestion to help protect kids. I guess I just don't understand the whole covert thing, but I wasn't trying to cause problems.

That's weird and I'm not gonna do it . I seriously doubt I could possibly know half if what I've posted without being a coach/instructor. It seems like it's pretty obvious to me.

I agree. It's pretty obvious when someone knows something or when they don't. I personally would rather stay anonymous on an anonymous forum...I understand that there are weird people and you wouldn't reveal our identities to the whole world, but I have to say that'd make me very uncomfortable.

===========
It was just a suggestion to help protect kids. I guess I just don't understand the whole covert thing, but I wasn't trying to cause problems.

But how does it help protect kids? They can just monitor my PMs since I don't PM any kids. I would imagine kids are far more vulnerable to the "trusted adults" they deal with in real life. A site like this does carry the possibility that people will form relationships. But unless there's a problem I'm unaware of with people posing as coaches and then forming relationships with others on here, just verifying coaches isn't going to change that. And if someone has that intent they'll just sign up under another user group. So therein lies the problem.

But fakers nearly always slip up. Bri wasn't good AT ALL. Classic munchausen by Internet faker, they want attention and will go to further lengths to get it and will slip up. Pretty harmless, but they prey on emotions and may try to get money, etc. And I'm sure they're reading. They posted their fake gym prominently. I straight up asked someone at that gym if there was a kid like that and they were like WTF. I gave the benefit of the doubt for awhile and then she disappeared. When she popped back up I knew I had to go to Bog. My mistake to sit on it but since she was a moderator and Bog seemed to be corresponding with her mom I thought I was missing something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back