WAG Skipping optional levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Agreed. A 14 year old repeat level 7 making the national team in a year sounds ludicrous on paper. But if you have been prepping for elite and you have the skills levels are less important. What your routines would score in FIG is what counts. There is no need to compete level 8 9 or 10. Because you are already 14 you would be better focussing on your elite routines and requirements so you can qualify next year. Maybe just use some meets for practice. Do you have the FIG skills to compete junior elite?

Without evidence of your physical abilities or the technical skills to judge them, I can't comment on the likelihood of your talent being enough to achieve what you want to. If your coach believes you have it, you should listen to them.

However, I can say that the people you are addressing here (somewhat abruptly) are a mix of people also willing and able to guide you. Proven coaches, gymnasts (ex and current) and other peoples' parents. If you talk to these people in real life the way that you have spoken to them here, I'm going out on a limb to say your dream is unlikely.

Humility and composure are huge parts of this sport.

Good luck.

I just finished my second season of level 7 this year and I am planning on skipping levels 8 and 9, competing the rest of the season level 10,

The season is already over, except for regionals, easterns, westerns, nationals, etc Regionals is this weekend for region 8 level 9/10. So unless your state has their state meet after region 8 regionals what you describe is not going to happen considering you need at least one meet at 8 and one at 9 before you get to 10.

I guess I'm wondering why it took so long to get to Level 7 if , after a second year in that level, you're ready to skip all the optional levels, go elite and make the National team? I'm surprised your coaches weren't scoring you out of the compulsory levels at the younger ages...

I would say not so much. But she could be on her way to a nice college career one day if she works hard.

Repeater L7, state scores are fine but not anywhere near the top. I would expect a twelve year old elite bound kid to be killing L7. But to be honest I would not expect a twelve year old elite bound kid to be either a L7 or a repeater.

When she referred to being a Freshman as "first year in high school" I became suspicious. My kids always had a hard time keeping the names of the years straight (i.e. Freshman, Sophomore, etc.) until they were almost there. That terminology sounds exactly like what my son would have said at age 12.

Thanks to the mods for being so vigilant in making sure people abide by the forum rules and expectations.

I would say not so much. But she could be on her way to a nice college career one day if she works hard.

Repeater L7, state scores are fine but not anywhere near the top. I would expect a twelve year old elite bound kid to be killing L7. But to be honest I would not expect a twelve year old elite bound kid to be either a L7 or a repeater.
Honestly, I hope she's not on her way to a nice college career....if she has the attitude that she has already, she isn't on her way to being a team player....and who wants that?! Maybe she's nicer in person??!!

Meanwhile, I do hope the kiddos on this forum use your comment about finding her as a warning....some kids give way too much information these days and just dont' get the possible repercussions!!

Honestly it takes nothing to find people in the gym world. It is shocking how easily people can be found with very little info. She actually gave a ton of info out without even realising it.

Honestly it takes nothing to find people in the gym world. It is shocking how easily people can be found with very little info. She actually gave a ton of info out without even realising it.
I guess it is a small gym world....especially at higher levels??! But gym or not, so many kids just aren't careful with their internet 'self'! Don't you just want to tell her parents.....look how much info your kid gave out!!!

I am often tempted to let parents know. But that would almost be creepier.

A lot of adults give out way too much info too. It is one thing with an older child looking for a college scholarship, but for young kids, sometimes there is just too much info out there. I know some people do not care, but having seen the kinds of freaks we get on here I wish people cared more.

A lot of adults give out way too much info too. It is one thing with an older child looking for a college scholarship, but for young kids, sometimes there is just too much info out there. I know some people do not care, but having seen the kinds of freaks we get on here I wish people cared more.
It does scare me, the 'freaks'...so do you mean the freaks that try to get on and you figure out before accepting them or are there freaks here we should know about?! :)

Seriously, though, I guess some parents have more tech awareness on their radar than others.

In our school district, there are a number of meetings for parents run by the police, the district attorney etc to teach parents what to look out for. Even things like iphone access as well as ipad/ipod. Kids have a LOT of technology in their hands and they understand more than their parents. And, yes, I think parents here make themselves fairly easy to identify! I have nothing bad to say about our gym but I still wouldn't give too much info!!

Oh well, I digress......

=
With that said, Does JBS at least know the identities of all the coaches here on CB? I think that should be a requirement to have the label at least.

=
With that said, Does JBS at least know the identities of all the coaches here on CB? I think that should be a requirement to have the label at least.

Well I think I know more of the coaches than he does. I know Dunno, and I know who you are. I know GT and JBS of course. Some of the others I have communicated with and I "know" their gyms or I know enough about them to know I can trust them

But there are a couple on here that I have some definite issues with, which is why I constantly remind people to not trust anyone they do not know with information or videos.

JBS has never wanted to get into vetting coaches.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back