WAG Snacks...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I love the chocolate milk idea! I think trail mix too! If my DD had her choice it would be a pop tart though.

You guys are so good!! I have parents who send things like a whole bag of Whoppers, a pack of Oreos, Candy bars, Chips, Cheetos, Coke. I couldn't believe it.
We have had plenty of that at our gym. Fortunately, I know better! I can't imagine a body running well on all of that junk! And these girls need to run like well oiled machines!

Well I would not recommend chocolate milk. It's so bad for young athletes , unless you make it yourself . Sugar will get them high and then they will crash , their bodies would have to work so hard after . Smoothie is so much better. I like a lot of different heathy choice snacks that pepople listed here.
One that I like is quinoa salads ( my kids love it with beats or even a wrap (use lettuce no white bread) and slow on crackers ( just like white bread = sugar ) and my favorite is avocado with lemon wedge. Fruits and veggies , boiled eggs coconut water (glass bottle best) . Nuts and seeds (pumpkin or sunflower )

Well I would not recommend chocolate milk. It's so bad for young athletes , unless you make it yourself . Sugar will get them high and then they will crash , their bodies would have to work so hard after . Smoothie is so much better. I like a lot of different heathy choice snacks that pepople listed here.
One that I like is quinoa salads ( my kids love it with beats or even a wrap (use lettuce no white bread) and slow on crackers ( just like white bread = sugar ) and my favorite is avocado with lemon wedge. Fruits and veggies , boiled eggs coconut water (glass bottle best) . Nuts and seeds (pumpkin or sunflower )

Chocolate milk is actually considered to be an excellent recovery drink for athletes.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/10/30/benefits-chocolate-milk-after-your-workout/

Chances are, many smoothies will contain as much sugar as chocolate milk.

Do you know how soon after a workout you have to drink the chocolate milk in order to reap those benefits? We carpool and having a car full of kiddos drinking chocolate milk on the way home has the potential to lead to a very stinky car! :eek:

Choco milk tastes better than smoothie concoctions.

Seriously my go to's:

Pre cooked bacon or jerky

Granola bar

Raisins or banana, apple. Fruit snacks or fruit jerky if need be.

I was talking about homemade smoothies ( I use fruits and salad and avocado and yogurt )
...and I was talking about home made chocolate milk. :) My daughter has a dairy allergy, so as I stated, we use oat milk, which she can drink. I've never seen store-bought chocolate oat milk here in Australia, so hers is definitely home made.

For mid-training snack, my daughter has a smoothie, made with fruit, coconut cream, and oat milk. You might think this is less than desirable, but my daughter's sports nutritionist (consulted due to my daughter's allergies, energy needs and quantity of gym training) has recommended both these drinks for my daughter's particular dietary requirements.

As my daughter's head coach once said to her, "You eat what you have to eat", fully understanding that individual gymnasts have individual needs. Mine needs sugars and fats, as part of her gym diet.

Mary, general recommendation is ASAP as the body is primed for replenishing and absorbing nutrients.

Pretty much any non mammal milk is a poor substitute for dairy though soy has the most protein other than brown rice&pea protein powder.

None of them contain whey which is highly anabolic compared to other proteins. Cows milk is 20% whey, 70% casein besides the galactose in milk as a sugar.

While eggs are a good protein, theydigest slowly and lack carbohydrates for glycogen replenishment. A lot of kids din't like eggs or the yolks.

With any non mammal milk, the protein digest s slowly as well besides having minimal amounts of protein to begin with.

A serving of choco milk once a day isn't the end of the world. A quart or more probably should not be recommended.

If said child is pre type II diabetic, ya prob not a great idear.

I have no idea why the smell of choco milk could ever be stinky.

I really need to get some choco flavored whey protein again.

Yes, exactly. Try pouring some chocolate milk in the backseat of your car and wait for the next warm day. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. I believe that Click and Clack were once asked what to do when you have spilled milk in your car and their answer was "trade it in."

I agree, milk is a great fuel but not in the car. I once brought some to drink in the car on the way to work. I drank the whole cup but accidentally left the cup in the car. Even without spilling and having a only a few drops in the cup my car stunk at the end of a day at work. After that, I will not drink milk in the car again.

We use the horizon or other organic chocolate milk. 1 a day, 5 days a week....and no spills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back