Parents Snow Day Practice Change?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Another thing to remember is that this winter has been unseasonably snowy for several states. We are a state that doesn't get snow every single year so it isn't economically feasible for us to keep a fleet of snow plows and tons of salt. We have some but when it is super snowy, then it is hard to get every where plowed. We've also missed days for temps because our buses pick littles up around 6:30 a.m. at bus stops and we don't want them out there in -8 *F with even colder wind chills.

Many school districts have 5 snow days planned in the schedule so they have to make up days if they get 6 or more. In Michigan ( where my family lives) they have had many more snow days than usual ( 10 -15) so the state will have to decide if the days will be forgiven or made up. I'm in Texas and we have had 2 ice days here because of unusual weather. Here we do not have salt trucks and people do not know how to drive on the ice. Most kids are also not within biking distance to their school (snow or no snow). When both the city and county close down all city services then the schools close as well. On those days gym practices was optional and a few gyms had practice in the afternoon after the ice melted off the roads and before it had a chance to freeze again.

We have 'built in' snow days. So for instance next Friday the kids will have off and have a four day weekend. If we had a snow day this year they would have attended school and only had a three day weekend.

My state comes to a standstill in snow so they cancel practice.

Ooops I meant to write from November to April!

Usually if it snows at night the streets are well cleared by the morning. Don't you have snowplows?? I don't think the kids are that different, maybe our snowplow arsenal is just bigger and stronger :rolleyes:
I think population density has something to do with it too, honestly. The school I work at can have a 20-30 car/bus backup for a half hour or so on a normal, good weather day (this is for both the middle and high school). And then there are all the walkers as well. If you have a snow storm timed just right, then you can have slippery, but mostly plowed roads, and many unshoveled sidewalks at the start or end of school. Then you're risking accidents and children being hit. There're too many people in too small an area here. Snow days are for safety, not convenience.

Excellent point Magic. We had a marginal day that we went ahead and went to school. One of our school buses had a small wreck. No injuries to the kids thank goodness! But man, can you image the flack TPTB would have received if they didn't call off school and a kid got hurt because of it??? Yikes!

Our biggest issue with changing practice for snow is that our team comes from 4 separate districts. So all four have to be closed to get changed. But when the stars all line up.....lovely!

Our gym NEVER closes for weather. We will sometimes get an email telling us to "be safe" or that "practice is not mandatory if you are uncomfortable driving" or whatever, but practice isn't actually cancelled. Not for team. Rec classes may be cancelled if the weather is bad.

Same here.... (except Monday when it was really bad and coach still waited till 4pm to decide to cancel team). Today we had 1-4:30. It will be nice to be home early.

No, no, no! It is not supposed to be 80 in February! February is snowflakes and sledding and ice skating! :D

We haven't had a practice in the last 3 days due to the weather. My girls are conditioning (their choice) for the last two days as they are dreading when they get back to practice. They have been lamenting the fact that we don't have a rope so they could do rope climbs. Never thought I would hear that!

Today was the first time team practice has been cancelled due to weather in the 2.5 years we've been at this gym, and we live in the NE, so it's not like we haven't had weather...

My dd was cancelled today too. It really wasn't that bad (we've had worse NOT cancelled), so I'm kind of annoyed since they have a meet Saturday. But dd isn't worried - "I've got this." Okay...

Our gym only closes if the weather is extream. We have had an awul winter and they only closed once. If we miss class we then have to schedule a make up

Earlier this year our gym moved team practice up on a day when the schools had closed. But rec classes were cancelled for that day. This week they have had to cancel all activity Tuesday thru Thursday due to the excessive ice. The only exception was the level 8/9/10 girls who needed the practice on Tuesday before heading to Forth Worth. Other teams were rescheduled for today (Saturday) as a makeup.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back