So Frustrated! Am I getting the "run around"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lettrich

Proud Parent
So long story short - my daughter is 8. Initial plan for this season was to compete a few level 5 meets then do lv 6. She did 2 meets already - took 1 pl AA & 2nd pl AA. Last week coach said she is ready to do lv 6. I signed her up for meets & paid the $. This past weekend she had 2nd meet - scored 36.4. Yesterday HC now feels that she should compete 5 but train 6. Spoke with my daughter who agreed (more or less) Today went in to let him know our decision. (I personally would have preferred her competing 6 but agreed to have her do 5) I said I guess she will be competing 5 & asked for $ from lv 6 meets back (credited to account - lv 5s arent doing these meets) And he was like lets not be hasty there is no need to take her out of meets. He tells me one thing yesterday but is telling me we should "wait & see" Is this wishy washy attitude typical for gymnastics? It is so frustrating & I am more angry today with all this indecision! Thanks- Also wondering if they want to compete her down a level so the gym looks good.

At this point, I think I would be really frustrated with the HC as well. I know you have been dealing with this for several months now. I think your next step is to have a sit down with the coach and figure out what he/she saw at the meet that changed her mind about competing level 6. Maybe she feels your dd needs to work on something a little more first? 36.4 is definitely a respectable score so it can't be that. I would just try to pin down the HC to get some answers.

I am sure there are some wishy-washy hc's but it seems to me that in order to rrun a good program, you have to have a clear plan for girls and have to portray it well to the parents.

Does she have the skills for 6? (sorry if that was already answered but that seems like the only logical reason to have her compete 5 and train 6). Coach could just be trying to keep her at 5 so he can rack up some medals for his team........just a thought.

I would be super frustrated too.

She now has all skills- is just missing the angles in bars. We had a long talk yesterday but it went around in a circle - I felt like it was getting no where. He said something about if we keep her 5 she would do amazing at states.

Sounds like, based on what you wrote, that the coach wants her to do level 5 states and do very well. And the fact that he won't return your money yet means that HC has every reason to believe she will be able to compete in the lvl 6 meets that you paid for. I know that most state meets are wrapping up, so what would be the harm in having her do lvl 5 states and then moving on to lvl 6? Sounds like your DD is doing well!

When are your states?? If they are very soon, I might see the coach's logic in seeing her do well at L5 states. Ours aren't till the spring, and that would be a long time to wait.

Other than that...she has great L5 scores and all of her L6 skills...I'm thinking she should move to L6.

Level 5 states is in May. The level 6 meets are in Jan & Feb

Oh - sorry - in my earlier post I was assuming that all the regions finished lvl 5 states in Nov. In that case, I see why you are frustrated.

Wow, you should definitely get your money back for meets DD will not compete. Weird. Keep us updated! (Unless they are going to give you a credit?!)

She now has all skills- is just missing the angles in bars. We had a long talk yesterday but it went around in a circle - I felt like it was getting no where. He said something about if we keep her 5 she would do amazing at states.

Keep her L5 and put the hammer down at states...way more fun!

L5 >> L7 is the path to go.

Who are you Yiking at Dunno - the OP HC or JBS? Just wondering lol.

I suppose she could do a couple of level 6 meets to score out and for experience and then do level 5 for the rest of the season including state, while uptraining to start 7 next winter. If that is their plan though they need to come out with it. When is level 6 state?

From my talk with the HC he wants her to uptrain as a 6 while compete as a 5 - thats what was said on Mon. Yet on Tuesday does not want to pull her out of the lv 6 meets. You cant compete as a 6 then drop back to a 5 so this is why I am so confused. She would be the only one "staying back" Plan for next season (2012-2013) is to train 7 compete 6. But then he said "or maybe skip a level" I guess I should just sit back but I am questioning the reasoning here - is it for my daughters benefit to stay back (to build her confidence) or is it for the gyms benefit to have a winner at lv 5?

I believe as long as she does not compete level 6 states she can compete meets at level 5 and level 6 at the same time. As long as she is uptraining I don't think it matters if she competes 5 but it sounds like they don't want to refund your level 6 meet money! So she would end up competing both.

That sounds so confusing! I get why you would be so frustrated. I was told by a mom whose daughter did one lv8 meet then competed lv 7 state: her daughter could do this only because the lv8 meet was an out of state meet. If she had competed as a lv8 in-state, she could not "drop back" to 7 for state. I do know that our state does not allow out of state meet scores to be submitted for state meet qualification, so maybe that is the reason? I hope you get some clarification soon.

if she doesn't go to a sectional as a L6 she can compete regular qualifiers and invitationals as either a 5 or a 6. My DD did this with L4 and L5 started as L4 did a few Feb meets as a 6 then when sectionals came up she had the coice to compete as a L4 or L5. Once she when in to the sectional as a L5 she couldn't do L4 anymore.

Your coach may be doing the same. Maybe she sees her bars aren't exactly where the coach wants them, maybe your DD is showing nervousness so it could be a mental thing coach sees not where he/she wants it to be. The coach will probably let your DD compete L6 at those meets and see how she does then have the option of going to sectionals as a strong L5 or a weaker L6.

Your coach too maybe having her score out of L6 so she can skip it and move on to L7. I don't always agree with that type of thing but many gyms do it this way.

I would make an appointment with the owner and coach to sit down and just clear the air. Tell them you need some clarification as to what their plan is for DD and you want a meeting.

I agree about just asking. Personally, I think the progression of skills training is more important than the level at which a child competes (as long as the child's not competing in a level where s/he can't perform the skills safely). But if the issue of competing/not competing at level 6 is causing your daughter anxiety, then just getting a simple answer of yes, she's competing L6, no, she's not competing L6, or we're waiting to make a decision about whether to compete her L6 would probably help a lot.

I'd also say that if your daughter isn't bothered by this, you could just let it go and see what happens, as long as the money is not a big issue for your family.

I agree with profmom, if your daughter isn't bothered by this and is willing to do whatever the coach decides to do, just go with it for the time being. I know of girls who have competed up a level at an invitational just to see how it goes and how they score, so that could be the coaches plan. If your DD does really well at the level 6 meets, let her jump up for sectionals/states but if there is still lots of room for improvement, let her compete as a level 5 at states and be really successful could be the coach's game-plan.
I can see how it's bothersome for you as the parent spending the money, trying to plan schedules, etc. I think I would try to let the coach know you are okay with whatever they have planned, but would like some more details so you can plan accordingly for travel and financial commitments.

the HC! holy smokes!! :)

Who are you Yiking at Dunno - the OP HC or JBS? Just wondering lol.

I suppose she could do a couple of level 6 meets to score out and for experience and then do level 5 for the rest of the season including state, while uptraining to start 7 next winter. If that is their plan though they need to come out with it. When is level 6 state?

Sounds like the HC really has no idea of what she wants to do. I didn't realize you could compete multiple meets at a higher level during the season and still do States at the lower level. But if she says keep the level 6 meets, then I'd go with it.

Also forgot to mention - last week before the meet her coach said she was ready for 6 - that this would have been her last 5 meet. Then she did well at meet & the day after the meet the HC said she should stay a 5. So I guess this is aldo what makes me question their intentions. Is it for my daughters benefit or theirs as a gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back