So Frustrated! Am I getting the "run around"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Also forgot to mention - last week before the meet her coach said she was ready for 6 - that this would have been her last 5 meet. Then she did well at meet & the day after the meet the HC said she should stay a 5.

Okay this is so not cool. He set the bar at a certain height and then keeps moving it all over the place. If the little one was promised 6 after her meet, and is ready for it, then that is what should be happening. I would definitely be asking why they keep changing their minds. Way too confusing for a small child to understand, frankly it is confusing for me.

Update - So after thinking about all of this (stewing actually) I brought my daughter for a trial at another gym on Fri. She stayed for a practice - liked the new gym & I spoke with their coach who felt my daughter could do level 6. Sat morning the owner of current gym calls me & tells me that new gym called him & told him we were thinking of changing gyms!! I was shocked that new gym would do that! After multiple conversations current gym will put her on whatever level (5 or 6) that she/I want because they do not want to lose her. Spoke with her coach who assured me that she just wants to see her succeed & feels she would excel as a 5 & be a mediocre 6. Also spoke with coach about her not yelling so much. So at the end of the day - daughter will stay at current gym. She also wants to compete 5 but train 6 so she could do well at meets. Thanks for listening to my vents over the last few months :)

just so you know...when the dust settles after a kid leaves 1 gym for another, the club owners and coaches must still remain friends somehow. once the kids are gone we're still here. so then, we call as a professional courtesy and it helps to keep the peace.:) don't feel like a trust was breached. and sometimes we find out that a parent owes $39583685635358630975 to the former gym.

just so you know...when the dust settles after a kid leaves 1 gym for another, the club owners and coaches must still remain friends somehow. once the kids are gone we're still here. so then, we call as a professional courtesy and it helps to keep the peace.:) don't feel like a trust was breached. and sometimes we find out that a parent owes $39583685635358630975 to the former gym.

spot on. as usual. :cool:

Dunno I don't think a gym should be calling another gym to say so and so is thinking of coming our way until it is more definite and the parents should know that will happen before it does. There are gyms out there that don't like parents shopping around and make things difficult for them if they are.

Cher062, gyms do it all the time. I know for a fact that at leaset two CB parents were thrown out of their gyms for shopping around. Ugly, but true.

Then she did well at meet & the day after the meet the HC said she should stay a 5. So I guess this is aldo what makes me question their intentions. Is it for my daughters benefit or theirs as a gym?

Depending what state you are in, scores at states at that age could be more in the 38.5+ range. Mid 36's are VERY respectable for level 5, but not the "sandbagger" type scores that you might see in some areas.

My guess would be it's for your daughter's benefit. If she isn't hitting the angles on bars at level 6 she could be looking at a low 7 or even lower depending how tough the judging is in your area. That can be very disappointing to an 8 yr old who is expecting to do well.

Cher062, gyms do it all the time. I know for a fact that at leaset two CB parents were thrown out of their gyms for shopping around. Ugly, but true.

This is definitely true. Lettrich, I'm glad everything worked out for the best. IMO, it says much about your gym that they were willing to work it out because they really want your DD to stay there. That's the perfect outcome. The reason switching gyms can be so agonizing is because not all gyms operate in such a professional manner. It's too bad. Congrats!

Update - So after thinking about all of this (stewing actually) I brought my daughter for a trial at another gym on Fri. She stayed for a practice - liked the new gym & I spoke with their coach who felt my daughter could do level 6. Sat morning the owner of current gym calls me & tells me that new gym called him & told him we were thinking of changing gyms!! I was shocked that new gym would do that! After multiple conversations current gym will put her on whatever level (5 or 6) that she/I want because they do not want to lose her. Spoke with her coach who assured me that she just wants to see her succeed & feels she would excel as a 5 & be a mediocre 6. Also spoke with coach about her not yelling so much. So at the end of the day - daughter will stay at current gym. She also wants to compete 5 but train 6 so she could do well at meets. Thanks for listening to my vents over the last few months :)

As dunno stated...this is very normal. It is our standard practice.

If and when we get one of these phone calls from another local gym...the gymnast is suspended from team until a solution is worked out. Which is hopefully at a parent meeting before the next practice.

As dunno stated...this is very normal. It is our standard practice.

If and when we get one of these phone calls from another local gym...the gymnast is suspended from team until a solution is worked out. Which is hopefully at a parent meeting before the next practice.

JBS, would you mind explaining why it is necessary to suspend the gymnast? It just seems really harsh. And it reinforces why parents can be afraid to question unreasonable practices and shop around for gyms. Afterall, new gym parents may not necessarily know what's normal and what's not. It could be that once they look into a different program, they realize that they are happy just where they are. I just don't see why there needs to be a punitive result from checking out another gym.

some gyms do this because we usually find out that there has been other undermining going on and where parents will cause a mutiny at a gym. so, no one gets to work out until a meeting takes place and all the BS is sorted out and thru and everyone is on the same page going forward. it's that simple.

kindly remember that there are things that go on at ALL gyms that are never seen by the parents. most of us are very good at what we do managing these sorts of things and heading the horse off at the pass so to speak before all hell breaks loose.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back