WAG Some technical questions for an upcoming novel about gymnastics - please help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a beam dismount that was invented by the coach in the story called The Cazacu.

In case you don't know, you can't just invent a new skill and give it a name. A skill is named after the gymnast who first performed it in a competition. So if the coach invented a new dismount, it wouldn't have a name, until the gymnast performs it in a competition, and then it will be named after her.

Ooh that's interesting. I have gone back and forth on how to talk about tape and hand grips, as I will hopefully have an audience who aren't all gymnasts, so I need to be inclusive of them, but also not seem like I'm getting it wrong. I had 'hand grips' then changed it to 'palm guards' - but is palm guards wrong?
When you say pre-wrap, is that zinc oxide tape (the white stuff) and then the athletic tape is a thicker version of the same?
Just say grips

In case you don't know, you can't just invent a new skill and give it a name. A skill is named after the gymnast who first performed it in a competition. So if the coach invented a new dismount, it wouldn't have a name, until the gymnast performs it in a competition, and then it will be named after her.
I believe the skill has to be performed at an international competition in order to be named.

I believe the skill has to be performed at an international competition in order to be named.
Ian Gunther created a video on the process. It has to be turned in to USA gymnastics I think and they give it a rating then the coach has to show the judges a video of it before the gymnast competes it internationally and then on top of that it has to be clean

I looked it up and I think this place ships to the US

Thanks IreneKa, totally. Yes, my coach character invented it in her days as a gymnast!

And is a backwards full layout with double twist the same as a double full? Can anyone confirm?

Just wondering, how can I get this book in America, without ordering from the Shakespeare and house bookstore thing. Shipping is 25 US dollars!

Just wondering, how can I get this book in America, without ordering from the Shakespeare and house bookstore thing. Shipping is 25 US dollars!

Yikes, that's crazy. So annoying it's not on US Amazon. I've seen it's on Shakespeare and Company and Fantastic Fiction, but the publisher is going to be selling international rights at the Frankfurt Book Fair in October, so fingers crossed a US publisher takes it on, which would make shipping much easier. Will let you know!

ok from here you can get it for 26.39 in us dollars including shipping which is equal to 21.84 pounds. Better but not good.https://www.mightyape.co.nz/trolley

the publisher is going to be selling international rights at the Frankfurt Book Fair in October, so fingers crossed a US publisher takes it on, which would make shipping much easier. Will let you know!
Best of luck!

While we're discussing places to get the book, a couple of site rules I want to preemptively reiterate:

1) We do not allow members to use posts as a means of free advertising (such as spamming links to their product or website).
@Eloise_the_author so far you're fine here. @Gymnast2009 asked where they could get your books, and you answered with a link, and I see nothing wrong with that. I'd also consider your posts here about your book so far to fall well within the realm of research, not advertising.
Having said that, when the book is published we might need to figure out more solidly what would and would not constitute advertising as opposed to just keeping us updated. No need to figure it out immediately as far as I'm concerned, but as the publish date gets closer, ping a staff member about it so we can discuss. (Formally advertising through the site might be an option as well, but @JBS would be the one to talk to about that)

2) While we're talking about where to get books, a quick reminder: we don't like pirated content here. So far, everything I'm seeing here seems fine; just a reminder to our members that if you're recommending places to get books (especially ebooks), please make sure it's a legitimate source.

Last edited:
Best of luck!

While we're discussing places to get the book, a couple of site rules I want to preemptively reiterate:

1) We do not allow members to use posts as a means of free advertising (such as spamming links to their product or website).
@Eloise_the_author so far you're fine here. @Gymnast2009 asked where they could get your books, and you answered with a link, and I see nothing wrong with that. I'd also consider your posts here about your book so far to fall well within the realm of research, not advertising.
Having said that, when the book is published we might need to figure out more solidly what would and would not constitute advertising as opposed to just keeping us updated. No need to figure it out immediately as far as I'm concerned, but as the publish date gets closer, ping a staff member about it so we can discuss. (Formally advertising through the site might be an option as well, but @JBS would be the one to talk to about that)

2) While we're talking about where to get books, a quick reminder: we don't like pirated content here. So far, everything I'm seeing here seems fine; just a reminder to our members that if you're recommending places to get books (especially ebooks), please make sure it's a legitimate source.
I think for sure a update when she gets a us publisher would be awesome and fall into the category of informing about a already interested topic, not advertising

Also, one more crazy question.

I have a beam dismount that was invented by the coach in the story called The Cazacu. It's supposed to be super-hard, a
backwards full layout with double twist. That's not known widely as anything else is it? It's okay if it's not well known, but shouldn't be impossible. Does it work?
If you still need a dismount (or any more general gymnastics research), the Balance Beam Situation blog is an amazing resource:

He has every element with a difficulty score, GIF, and description. Here's the layout double twist:

Which is a pretty easy dismount (by elite standards) at a C. The layout triple twist is very hard, but it's just called a triple twist/triple full. If you want a super-hard dismount to be the "Cazacu", you could look at named elements rated F or G, or the gainer layout double full which is an E but very undervalued. But is your gymnast doing this dismount or is it just background context in the story? Because ofc some of those aren't feasible for even a very talented 13yo.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back