Parents Sore muscles?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
My 3 kids have rarely complained about sore muscles. In fact, my younger DD never has, my son extremely rarely has (he and his sister had a sit up contest once and the next day he did complain some; but he had done more than 350 sit ups non-stop); but it was just kind of an, "ow! my muscles are sore today!" kind of thing.

My older DD (DS twin) has occasionally complained; but it has been more when she has gone on a stretching kick.

Until today. They started a new gym yesterday. I know that they did some new conditioning exercises that she hadn't done before. I also know that they worked a lot on front hip circles and kips. Today she is so sore that I have given her ibuprofin for it and she doesn't even want to do a handstand (normally my kids are doing handstands and cartwheels as much as they walk ;)). She also had been out of the gym for a week due to the holiday on Monday and being sick on Friday.

Should I expect this more? She is going from practicing 6 hours per week to 10 hours per week (between new gym and moving up a level). Actually, they are all going way up in hours (younger DD is going from only 3 hours per week to 9! DS from 5 to 12!). I kind of had thought that maybe these young kids just don't get sore. :D I remember being on swim team as a kid (year round, dry lands and swimming 3+ days per week) and I don't remember my muscles being sore until I was over 10 - my kids are 7, 9 and 9 (they just turned 9 this week). I do think that the kids do more that would make muscles sore in gymnastics practice than I did in swim practice though.

Any advice on what to do for the sore muscles as they happen? Things to reduce the soreness from the start?

Ok, this might sound "hoakie", but soaking in a hot Epsom salt bath after practice has helped my DD with sore muscles. I'm not sure if its the actual Epsom salt bath or me convincing her that it is helpful...but either way, I hear less complaining.

Epsom salt is a great way to get magnesium.

Actually for sore muscles, light exercise is good. Get blood in and through the tissues to accelerate recovery.

Heat packs or sauna/spa or a hot bath. Ice can dull the pain but that's about it all it does unless we are talking about an injury or ice baths/cryo baths.

As for the increase in hours, it's probably gonna be a rough 2 or 3 weeks. At least.

they did some new conditioning exercises that she hadn't done before.

That could do it! I'm also a fan of epsom salt baths. There are some nice herbal rubs that can be helpful (I don't know what brands you have in the US, we have a nice one here called Anti-flamme). I also like using wheat bags. Sometimes some gentle stretching can help. Hopefully they will adapt quickly to the new training.

not only have they moved up in hours but you say they started a new gym. You may find that even though she has only increased her hours by 50% ish, her workload may well have doubled - smaller class size, more stations, less hanging round etc - she will adapt and keep treating her til she does. :)

Actually you don't want to do hot water soaks. You want to do cold water -- or some combination. The muscles recover faster when they are cooler. Ice Water Bath After Exercise - Does an Ice Water Bath After Exercise Speed Recovery

I'm glad you posted this. I've always been told do not use heat until after 24 hours for injuries or soreness. Epson salt baths are great but I always use them the next day for soreness. But if it works for others maybe we should try it?? My daughter usually ices her feet/ ankles after practice as a preventive measure. She has practice twice a day so she can rest/eat/ice/study/etc in between practices.

To the OP, I agree it will probably be a rough week or two for your gymnasts. But that is normal when switching gyms and increasing hours. But you will see their gymnastics improve greatly as they get stronger!!

Ok, I haven't done this with my DD, but this "old woman" has this tip: yoga....when I alternate yoga with a hard workout, it helps me not be so sore. I don't know if this would help gymnasts, since they are just a little bit more flexible than me! Idk: just another idea!

not only have they moved up in hours but you say they started a new gym. You may find that even though she has only increased her hours by 50% ish, her workload may well have doubled - smaller class size, more stations, less hanging round etc - she will adapt and keep treating her til she does. :)

I agree with this. I'm seeing it from my kid - who hasn't changed gyms.

1) In summer, they have more time with the kids and our gym does more conditioning in summer.
2) Higher levels are expected to be more difficult - our coaches had the talk with the girls that they expect them to work harder and be more focused. Each level practices get more difficult and the coaches expect more.
3) We've just changed our conditioning - so my kid is talking about how it is tougher. You just went through a gym change - different priorities will mean different tired muscles.

As an additional note to my previous post. If she comes home from practice with any pain it gets ice. I also massage her calves if her heels had been hurting her that day. Sore muscles tend to kick in the following day and that's when she likes a hot Epsom salt bath.

My dd has been complaining more recently of sore muscles and has gained a few pounds as well. More conditioning, lots of new skills that require different muscles. Increasing hours in a few weeks so I doubt it will end any time soon.

I am sure that your dd will adjust soon. Good luck in your new program!

Sore muscles? What sore muscles? I remember starting my freshman year in a public high school after graduating from a private school, and nobody there was aware of my involvement in weight lifting. I'd go to school the day after my training day with muscles that were so sore I had to walk as if I was on ice, and if somebody stepped in my way and made me break that specific stride it took me three or four steps to regain my balance and controlled stride.

I never made a big deal out of my weight training and the soreness until I'd accumulated a group of friends, and was asked why I hadn't gone out for any of the fall or winter sports. When I told them about the amount of training I was into and that I was so sore every other day I could hardly walk straight, let alone participate in another sport, two of my new friends broke out laughing and said there were other kids at school suggesting I had a drug habit and was stumbling about in a fog.

Sore muscles...... no big deal. Perception, on the other hand..........

Great...my 6 year old DD will be going from 1 hour/week (rec class) to 9 hours/week (team) starting in a week.

Guess I need to stock up on Epsom salt! Do they at least make scented Epsom salt? ;)

(Luckily all the swimming she does in our pool over the summer will stimulate blood flow and muscle recovery).

I've always been told do not use heat until after 24 hours for injuries or soreness. Epson salt baths are great but I always use them the next day for soreness.

I've used epsom salts baths right after training to prevent soreness and it has worked well for me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back