Parents Sore Muscles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ashyflashy

Proud Parent
Gymnast
My DD just recently switched to a more competitive gym which requires longer & harder workouts/conditioning.

The day after she has extremely sore ab muscles. Is there anything I can do right after a workout to prevent sore muscle? Bath in Epsom salts?

Appreciate any advice. Thx!

I would suggest the epsom salt bath and just give her some time to adjust. We made a move like that 2 years ago and it took surprising little time for her to adjust. Do the baths, give her a good snack after a work out and make sure she's getting enough rest. She will probably be fine in just a few weeks time.

Good luck!

We also did a similar switch about 2.5 years ago. DD went from 7.5 hours a week to 15 and LOTS more conditioning. I bought her some eucalyptus bubble bath that was supposed to be good for sore muscles. I don't know how much was the placebo effect, but she did feel like it helped. It actually took quite a while for DD to be less sore. For all I know, she may STILL be that sore and may just be used to it by now! ;)

Thanks ladies. Is too much Epsom harmful? She went from 4 hours a week to 9 hours! She loves it. I just worry about her over doing it.

Thanks ladies. Is too much Epsom harmful? She went from 4 hours a week to 9 hours! She loves it. I just worry about her over doing it.
Epsom salt is a laxative that is absorbed through the skin in water. So yes it can be overused and cause diaherria (sp)

I would recommend giving her a high protein snack or meal within an hour of her class finishing for muscle recovery. Not a magic pill of course, but should help. Nuts, cheese, tofu, meat, milk, yogurt, kid protein bar, whatever protein is easy for you. Post workout protein intake for muscle recovery is a pretty standard practice for many types of athletes, though the optimal timing, amount, percent combination with carbs, and form of protein are always debated.

Since my kids have started more intense gym, we have upped their ratio of protein in general across their diet. Not super strict counting or anything, but more conscious to specifically make sure most meals have a good protein source.

Epsom salts bath after the workout should help. Just a handful should be enough.

We really like a Young Living Oil blend called Deep Relief. She can't use it all over, well she could but it would be expensive, but it is great for those tender spots. Other than that we do the warm Epsom salt baths.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back