Coaches Sort of a vent and a releif at the same time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CoachTodd

Coach
Proud Parent
Back in June a couple of the kids I coach made the cheer team at their high school. This particular school required them to attend a week and a half long tumbling camp at a local cheer gym. They are also required to take classes at this other gym. Back in June, one girl was really close to being able to do a standing back handspring and had a really strong round off. After a week and a half of tumble camp, she could barely do a cartwheel and lost all of her technique for the back handspring.
I am happy to say that after only 4 1/2 months, she's finally corrected almost everything that was broken during that 1 1/2 week of tumble camp.

Ha, I hear you. My dd's tumbling was trashed after a week of summer camp. She went from provincial tumbling champ to unable to do a BHS. He coach was horrified, it took her quite some time to fix things back up again.

Oh she is now a cheerleader. She says she has trouble landing her skills with her arms down as the cheer coach likes, I am sure they'll "break" her of that "bad habit"!

I know all about the arms down thing. I teach my cheer kids to land with their arms up then put them down. Why do they always choreograph cheer that way? I can't see the point in it.

I know all about the arms down thing. I teach my cheer kids to land with their arms up then put them down. Why do they always choreograph cheer that way? I can't see the point in it.

I really do not get cheer, in fact I am actively working to know as little as possible about it. I dump and run at the doors. Fortunately she is not a flyer so I do not have to stress about her being dropped on her head.

Cheer tumbling makes no sense, if they coach everything to finish with arms down, how do they work on progressions? Bad body shapes and ugly legs. ICK

I think they need to come up with individual compulsory requirements for cheer so they have to learn correct form before they're allowed to compete on a team at each level. i.e. if they haven't been judged to be able to do a good back handspring, they aren't allowed to compete one with the team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back