Parents Spinoff-how many left?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SurpriseGymMom

Coach
Proud Parent
a recent thread got me thinking.... How many of your gymnasts "original" group remains, and how do you define that original group?
I would define my DDs original group as the girls who moved up at the same time from developmental team and were placed in the "bypassing L3 and going straight to L4, combining with existing L4 group". Out of the girls that didn't "bypass L3" only ONE remains out of perhaps 10, and she is still a training groups "behind" DD.
Out of those girls almost 3 years ago, there are 7 left out of 14 or 15, plus that group has caught up to a second group of "L5's when DD moved to L4". Out of *that* group, 3 remain out of like 12. We haven't hit the part of season where kids decide if they're staying or going yet, finished up L7 but still have summer training to go. I would be surprised to see any of the remaining 10girls leave, but then again I have been surprised before..! ;) From the original group only one has failed to move up with the others but she has still been allowed to work out with her peers.
Fall will likely see some division of the group as some will move to L8 and some will do a second year of L7, and those levels practice at different times.

From OG's 2nd season team 2009/2010 (because I don't have first season records on hand and the team was REALLY small then)
20 girls (L4 and L5 combined… just because) in 09/10
3 still compete for our YMCA team … 3 have moved out of state … 4 competed for the high school team this past season (with one overlap from our team) … 1 has graduated … 6 are in other sports and drama.

From DD's original prepreteam team group she started shortly before age 5 ( almost 5 years ago), 3 are doing JO, 1 is doing Xcel, one is doing JO at another gym, and 5 have quit the sport before reaching JO level 4. (Gym doesnt do Level 3). They were all age 4-7 five years ago. 1 kid did 7 this year, 1 did 6 (mine) and 1 did 4. They are all 9 Turning 10 in the next few months.

Out of our original group of 11, only 5 remain. All started old level 4 together. Out of the 5 remaining two moved out of state. 4 of the remaining 5 will be level 7s this year, one may move to level 8. Interestingly they were all the youngest of the original group.

From dd's group that was in old L3 & 4 and moved together to old L5, which was first year of team at our gym, 7 of 15 remain. They are all L8 and 1 L9.

From DD's original rec team group of 13, 1 is at another gym, 1 went xcel, 4 have left the sport and 7 are still at DD's gym (2 or 3 of them may move to xcel in the fall) and the rest should be mostly together on L4 next season although there is some possibility for optionals for 1 or 2 of them.

So, 7 out of 13 are left, but we are only 3 years into gymnastics at this point. I expect that a couple of the girls will move away from gymnastics and maybe towards cheer (they love tumbling more than bars and beam) in the next couple of years.

Let's see...started with 14... 6 are left. Of the 6, they are spread out in 3 different levels.The rest either moved away, switched gyms, or opted for other activities.

From DD's groups that started developmental together there are 3 left at that gym , dd who moved last year (and 2 who moved out of state). In the groups who repeated developmental there is only 1 left.

Well for this I'll consider DD's first ever team track group... Pre-preteam, since I was thinking about this the other day.

The same group did pre-preteam together and preteam. When DD started that group, there were 9 girls. After about 1.5 years, DD was the 4th girl to leave.

Fast forward a bit, and DD and one other girl eventually came back. So then you might consider 7/9 girls were still around. They lost one other girl one year, so 6/9 actually remain in the program, though have progressed differently. Next year, I imagine they'll compete a range of 6-9 or 7-9... should they all stick it out through summer training... we just had training groups shaken up some, so we'll see.

For DD's training group from her second gym, where she competed her first season? 5 girls remain in the sport out of 8, but only one remains at the original gym.

16 were in DD's group that competed L4 (L4 is the first level DD's gym competes; DD didn't do pre-team with the group and some had different lengths of time on pre-team). Three years later 7 are left. I hope none leave, but I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 quit before L8 next spring. Of the 9 who left, 3 are still in the sport (2 are still JO and the other is in an alternative program in my state).

3 out of the original 12 starting in pre-team. Several of the other gymnasts moved to the xcel track, a couple slowed their pace of advancement through levels and are competing a level or two down. Some left the sport completely. Seems to be pretty par for the course.

I responded in the other thread, but I'll respond here too. Seven girls started training brand new L3 3 years ago. Of the seven, one moved and is at another gym, one moved to Excel, two quit, and the remaining three are training L5. Most of the quitting happened after a rough first L4 season. I'm curious to see how many L3 girls move up and stick it out.

11 girls were in my daughter's group when she first competed old L4 in the spring of 2013. The girl that everyone thought was the best moved and went to a sandbagger gym and will be doing L4 again next year, 1 does cheerleading, 1 does dance, 3 do xcel ( although 1 went to another gym and did L4 and returned for xcel), 3 followed coach to a different gym (2 training for L8, 1 training for L7), 1 in L4, and my daughter who changed gyms and is training L7/8. My daughter and the 3 that followed the coach are still tight friends.

Both my DDs started preteam 2.5 years ago There were 7 girls that year.

2 are still on preteam
2 are competing level 2/XB and will likely more to 3 this summer (younger DD6 is here)
2 are level 3 (older DD8 is here)
1 left the gym, but recently came back and was only offered rec classes

Dd's first year on team (L3) they had 10.

By the next season,1 had moved away and 3 had quit, leaving 6.

We lost one more to a move so now we're down to 5 of the original group (more have been added since).

I'll have to go back and look at the numbers, but the group DD started with (xcel bronze) is mostly still there, there have been a couple that have come and left and some that progressed at different rates or stayed XCEL instead of moving to JO, one that left and came back, and a few new additions, but many familiar faces with DD.

Throughout the gym turnover is pretty low - I think we lose more to graduation than anything else.

My DD started level 2 with 12 girls. One repeated level 2 and 3 left after the first season, leaving 8 of these original at level 3. Of those, 2 stopped gymnastics completely and 1 changed gyms because the commute was too long, all within the past month. So 5 out of 12 are left after just 2 years. There are new girls on the team, but it still makes me kind of sad. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back