Coaches Split leap drills!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nj45576

Coach
Hi! I was wondering if anybody had some good drills for split leaps. My level 3's are struggling mainly with getting up in their leaps as well as the landing (keeping their chest up and not falling). I've been using panel mats for them to leap over and onto but I'm trying to find more of a variety so they continue to practice at the same intensity (not letting them get bored of a drill) Thanks in advance!

Most of the time, the athlete is not struggling with flexibility but fast twitch muscles. I have my kids on one knee with other leg straight out in front, lifting up and down. In the same position but adding a slider under the foot of the straight leg, they slide into splits and out without using hands. Adding ankle weights will help! One drill I use is I place a cheese mat against the wall, the girls stand (enough room so they can kick, start closer than have them slowly move back as they get better) step with non-dominant foot kick and lean onto the wall, holding a high releve, arms in T, chest up, holding for ten.

Most of the time, the athlete is not struggling with flexibility but fast twitch muscles. I have my kids on one knee with other leg straight out in front, lifting up and down. In the same position but adding a slider under the foot of the straight leg, they slide into splits and out without using hands. Adding ankle weights will help! One drill I use is I place a cheese mat against the wall, the girls stand (enough room so they can kick, start closer than have them slowly move back as they get better) step with non-dominant foot kick and lean onto the wall, holding a high releve, arms in T, chest up, holding for ten.
Thank you! This is very helpful

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back