WAG Spondyliothesis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In the case of bilateral spondylolysis, spondylolisthesis does not narrow the spinal canal-it widens it. What is "slipping" isn't the disc but the entire anterior(front) portion of the bone, carrying the disc along with it. I also have read research on newborns indicating that spondylolysis has never been found to be present at birth, contrary to what was previously believed. The incidence in gymnasts IS higher than the general population or in most other sports-up to 12%. However, this may be because most cases of idiopathic spondylolysis with spondylolisthesis (which seems to be the type you are talking about?) are asymptomatic. Thus in gymnasts it may be that the activity creates symptomatology allowing diagnosis that otherwise would never occur in the general population-ie, it inly SEEMS to be higher in gymnasts because extension triggers symptoms and a search fir a diagnosis. As to what happens to these gymnasts after diagnosis, I defer to Dunno and other experienced coaches.

In the case of bilateral spondylolysis, spondylolisthesis does not narrow the spinal canal-it widens it. What is "slipping" isn't the disc but the entire anterior(front) portion of the bone, carrying the disc along with it. I also have read research on newborns indicating that spondylolysis has never been found to be present at birth, contrary to what was previously believed. The incidence in gymnasts IS higher than the general population or in most other sports-up to 12%. However, this may be because most cases of idiopathic spondylolysis with spondylolisthesis (which seems to be the type you are talking about?) are asymptomatic. Thus in gymnasts it may be that the activity creates symptomatology allowing diagnosis that otherwise would never occur in the general population-ie, it inly SEEMS to be higher in gymnasts because extension triggers symptoms and a search fir a diagnosis. As to what happens to these gymnasts after diagnosis, I defer to Dunno and other experienced coaches.

Thank you! Can I be done now please...you said what I wanted to say so eloquently. Bless you!:)

Hey Doc, you can see that we are speaking the same language. hence my description about the glass sliding off the table. And to the rest of what you stated i concur. :)

My oldest Dd, now almost 17 had to quit gym due to spondylolystheses and spondylolysis. She tried physio, ended up with surgery two years ago. She never found a new passion as she has 18 months of absolutely no sports before surgery to try to heal things. Stopping gym was very hard on her mentally, she was a fierce athlete but now looks on herself as not good at any sport as she sat out almost two and a half years of gym before, during and after surgery. It really knocked her confidence sideways.

Her surgeon gave her a list of sports that she an never do. This years she was able to ski fouls and ride rails again, that made her very happy.

Gymbeemom, I am so sorry to hear your daughter's gymnastics journey is coming to a premature end. You are handling it with such grace and calm acceptance.

I hope you will stay on the board and fill the rest of us in on life after gymnastics. This is a young person's sport and all our girls are heading toward the end of the line one way or another: natural attrition, age, time commitment, skill set, injury, etc. It's not if, but when.

Maybe someday, if her passion for the sport stays strong, she will be a great coach.

You have all been so kind with your words of support. I have realized this past week that this is harder on me than my DD. She is excited to go back-to-school shopping for the first time ever (she homeschooled since first grade and trained 30+ hours a week). She is at farm camp right now and she is looking forward to being at the same school as her best friend. She told me, "Mom, you always said I was more than just a gymnast and now I get to show everyone that its true." I will be back to keep you all posted and to see how far your lovely little gymmies have come. Happy training all:)

I know of a gymnast (equivalent to an very average level 10 in the US) who was diagnosed with spondyliothesis around the age of 14. I'm not sure of the extent, but I'm guessing it was grade 1. She was carefully monitored by a sports doctor and continued with gymnastics. She stopped doing skills that required back extension. No bhs, no fhs, of course no back or front walkovers. No ring type jumps or leaps either. She tumbled out of a roundoff and stuck to tsukahara entries on vault. She avoided giants on bars as well. In addition to that, she did lots of ballett and core conditioning. She trained and competed pain-free for 5 years after the diagnosis. She trained around 20-25 hours a week. The same doctor who monitored her, has made other gymnasts stop after the same diagnosis.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back