Spotting blind changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've seen the coaches spot L4 and L5 but rarely higher levels and mostly from the floor. Is that adequate? Is my daughter just spinning her wheels trying to learn blind changes herself or am I too pessimistic and truly do not know anything about teaching a skill?

Above it the set of questions I was referring to. I believe in spotting on bars. There are other schools of thought...but I believe in spotting on bars. I believe that a gymnast will progress quicker with better technique when there is lots of spotting on bars. Once again...this is my opinion and I don't want to get into the spot or no spot discussion.

Blind changes are a much easier skill for male gymnasts. The rail is thinner and there is no low bar in the way. I just did repeated half turns until one went to handstand and over the top.

There are two styles of blind changes in women's gymnastics...one on the way up and one on top of the bar. I am assuming that she is trying to turn on the way up...is this correct?

Last edited:
yep JBS, that's precisely what she's doing in the video on the low bar.

Like JBS, I learned blind changes from simply doing swinging half turns. You do enough of them in one turn, and you get comfortable and familiar enough with simply tapping and riding them up higher and higher until you are swinging from handstand to handstand. Without really being coached (or spotted), you figure out on your own how to swing and how to pull on the bar/weight-shift and change hands.

Doing the reverse pirouette-style is probably less desirable; but it might help some gymnasts to think to swing higher before initiating the turn (in my experience, many girls start out trying to turn too early and leading with their chests rather than their toes).

The other thing that might help is back extension roll bind turns on the floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back