WAG Spotting on high beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There is quite a large difference between watching/coaching and actively spotting beam. I will occasionally put hands on a kid on a low beam that is just not "getting" something... But more often than not, I will place them on a floor line and do any "hands on" work there.

Our typical beam progression is: Floor Line, Soft Floor beam, Low beam with Stacked panel mats (and a beam throw if necessary), Remove panel mats slowly, move to medium beam (with an 8" mat if necessary), remove extra mats, move to "Low" High Beam (About 100), then up on the high beam.

If a kid has trouble with any of these steps, they go back to the last step that they are comfortable with and do about a million repetitions until they build confidence.

There is quite a large difference between watching/coaching and actively spotting beam. I will occasionally put hands on a kid on a low beam that is just not "getting" something... But more often than not, I will place them on a floor line and do any "hands on" work there.

Our typical beam progression is: Floor Line, Soft Floor beam, Low beam with Stacked panel mats (and a beam throw if necessary), Remove panel mats slowly, move to medium beam (with an 8" mat if necessary), remove extra mats, move to "Low" High Beam (About 100), then up on the high beam.

If a kid has trouble with any of these steps, they go back to the last step that they are comfortable with and do about a million repetitions until they build confidence.
Our beam progression is similar. Floor line. Low beam with stacked panel mats. Work down to no stacked mats. Move to crank beam, cranked down as low as it goes. As confidence grows, crank it one revolution. Continue cranking until full height. Move to competition beam. No spotting above where it can be safely done on crank beam (dependent on coach height). The only reason we even spot there is because we have a limited number of beams and sometimes, they have to be on the crank beam before they are 100% confident :( ... But even then, we don't spot often.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back