Stalder

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
I've just started one of my girls working stalders, and she's having trouble turning it over enough in the bottom, so she always comes out way early. Anybody have any drills/tips/tricks for this?

Have you done it from stacked mats (not cast) through the bottom? That makes no sense. You know the free hip drill from standing on block, just jumping into the drop? Basically that but for a stalder. She doesn't even have to turn it fully over, just do the jump to a basket swing-ish thing. I'll try to find a video.

Edit: here's the basic idea...just change the toe-on to stalder drop...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q0xDsIuEmI

Last edited:
Best ever progressions to develop stalders: 1.)lots of toe circles in a row.
2.)Then start lifting toes off bar after every other toe circle.
3.)Then have them drop in the stalder (late, from a snap) and just circle in that position.
4.)Then you stand in front of the bar, so they face you, and as they stalder thru, you grap their hips & pops them up.
If the tming of the drop & snap is correct, doing this for a while should fix her timing.

Personally as a gymnast i hate working stalders as i have long legs and dont have a very flexible japhana which makes it easier!
I found a toe on toe off much easier to learn and within one week i was able to perform giant toe on toe off giant backaway!

Good Luck anyway

Newt1997 :)

Personally as a gymnast i hate working stalders as i have long legs and dont have a very flexible japhana which makes it easier!
I found a toe on toe off much easier to learn and within one week i was able to perform giant toe on toe off giant backaway!

Good Luck anyway

Newt1997 :)

okay. you're killing me smalls...what the heck is a "japhana"?

back in the day we called it jap splits. must be a derivative. that word didn't cross my mind.

This is theory... never tried myself since I wasn't a stalder worker rather a toe on'r. But I remember some of my stalder working teammates doing something similar to this...

What about using the trampoline as a tool. Back drop that simulates the stalder position and have them rotate through to push up then continue to rotate to handstand. The timing of the trampoline bounce should encourage her to lift her hips and stay staldered to press through to the handstand. Not sure the timing of a tumbl trak will suffice though... too quick

If you try, let me know if it works. I guess you could start with a wide straddled seat drop to start too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back