Parents "state" leo?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
In my gym "mailbox" I got an order form for a commemorative GK State leo. I can't recall seeing any gymnasts wearing a State leo (from last year). Perhaps, I never looked?

Anyway, does anyone buy these? I like the idea, but I don't want to "flaunt" that DD made State in case the rest of her team doesn't make it. Plus, if she moves up to Level 5 (or very possibly, scores out of L5), would she WANT to wear a leo that says 4? (I think she will say she would because a new leo is involved, but I'd hate to buy it to see her put it in the back of her drawer.)

Anyone have experience with this?

In our area most girls make state, so I wouldn't do that. If it is a big deal to make it to state I see no reason why she shouldn't and I don't think that she would not want to wear it just because it was for her previous level.

Hmmm...in our state, the girls who qualify for regionals get a Leo instead of at tshirt. It was really pretty, but didn't say a level on it, just the state. The boys wear a special singlet if they represent the state at regionals, but it's borrowed and they have to give it back.

The girls do get a leo with our state name on it if they go to regionals. I'm not sure if they have to be competing as our state or if they get it even if they go representing our gym.

Has no one else on her team made it to states? In most states most everyone will make it.
Most have, but there are a few who have not. We have one of the higher qualifying scores.

Either way, I was just wondering if this was typical. Once she gets to a level where she could compete at regionals it will probably be a bigger deal.

In our state (Texas), whichever meet is the furthest they can go has a meet leo. Last year in Level 3, South State was as far as they could go (and it's not easy to make it), so they all got pink leos that said "Texas" on them. This year, in Level 4, they can go as far as State, so South State doesn't have a leo, but State does. The drawback is that it's hard enough differentiating my daughter from the other girls on her team when they're wearing the same leo and all have hair that is pretty much the same. It's REALLY hard when every girl at the meet is identical! :)

No state leo's here. Just a tee and sweatpants. Regional qualifiers get leo's. But my vote is if you can afford it, and she wants it, get it!

Reactions: sce
If you make the state team for regionals, you get a leo, and you wear that leo at the regional meet. Other than that, I haven't heard of it.

My DD would absolutely want that state leo :) she got wrist bands at L3 states, before she even used grips. And she has NO problem using those now in L4.

Since our gym requires a higher score than the state, it's a big deal to make it, and DD would be quite proud to wear it as a practice leo even in a future level.

Of course, my child would probably never wear it, because it's probably pretty and sparkly. which makes it scratchy to DD :( (I sent her to Karolyi's over the summer with enough money to buy a Karolyi's leo. She was dead set to get one. Nope, it just didn't "feel" right. I was glad she didn't buy it and never wear it, but man, as a mom, I'm like "Really?? You can't get past an itchy seam to wear one that says 'Karolyi's' on it??")

We are in the same area as you domalley (I think based on what you're saying) and I don't believe the State leo is actually supposed to be worn AT state. Just another way for them to make money off of us. I am on the fence about ordering for DD. She's already qualified so I'm fine there, but I just don't know if she needs yet ANOTHER leo, especially one so danged expensive that will only get worn for workouts.

Sorry I just reread what you posted about wearing them. I thought you meant at the competition. Sorry - cold meds are messing with my mind!

At our gym, girls will wear commemorative leos from meets all the time. I think it would get worn, but no more than the $18 budget leo I buy her and therein lies my objection. :)

In our state (Texas), whichever meet is the furthest they can go has a meet leo. Last year in Level 3, South State was as far as they could go (and it's not easy to make it), so they all got pink leos that said "Texas" on them. This year, in Level 4, they can go as far as State, so South State doesn't have a leo, but State does. The drawback is that it's hard enough differentiating my daughter from the other girls on her team when they're wearing the same leo and all have hair that is pretty much the same. It's REALLY hard when every girl at the meet is identical! :)

So true! And, a lot of our girls still wear their pink Texas state leo from last year so it's really fun trying to find your kid in the gym on days when lots of them are wearing that leo!

We already have practice leos, so matching isn't a big deal.
I actually asked DD yesterday, and she wasn't interested in wearing it if it said 4 on it. Plus, they're nearly $50!

So every girl wears the same leo? Every girl on every team?? Oh man, I'd never find my kid!!! Last meet I was watching the wrong one warm up on vault for about 10 minutes....

So every girl wears the same leo? Every girl on every team?? Oh man, I'd never find my kid!!! Last meet I was watching the wrong one warm up on vault for about 10 minutes....

For level 3 North and South State and level 5 State that is the case here. For level 4 North/South State the girls use their team leo but if they qualify for the State meet they get the same matching leo. Each level has a different color assigned and it is usually a tank GK leo.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back