WAG Stay or Go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Grass isn't always greener on the other side.... but it can be.

Are you in an area where you will be shunned for going to a couple of 'trial trainings' at another gym? If no, I would suggest trying it for 1-2 weeks. Hard to know if its a good fit after 1 practice. Worse if you move and realized the new gym culture is not what you wanted at all.

That might make you feel better about either staying or moving.

I've said this before on here...for me - the olympics/ college gym was never the end goal - so yes perfecting the basics is important in terms of safety, however perfecting it to a score of 9.9 would have bored me. I would have been much happier at a gym where I was progressing (maybe not perfectly) but at least working on new things.
However, if there was a larger end goal then 'just for fun' maybe I would have trained differently?

No answer is a wrong answer - do what is best for you and your DD (hence my suggestion for doing a couple of trials at different gyms)

Yes! That's what I was looking at. Thanks :)

This is all super helpful. I keep waiting for someone to factor her age into the equation but since no one has mentioned the fact that she's going to be way too old by the time she starts competing (which is/was a large part of my concern) I guess that's not an issue here? I know each kid has their own path, etc, but if there were some consensus that competing younger is better, no matter what, that would push me toward trying to find another gym.

One more thing to consider. If you stay and she isn't allowed to compete next year either and then you want to move age may start to become an issue in finding another gym. Our gym lets girls start competing in their teens but there are girls here who said other gyms wouldn't let them compete. 8-9 may not be too old especially if she has all the skills already, but maybe others can weigh in on this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back