Coaches staying involved

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

first off, I'm new here! *waves*

I'm in a bit of a decision making rut. I was a gymnast my entire life, and finished my senior year with 2 years of L9 under my belt. I only did 3 events my last year because of a scoliosis-type back problem (tumbling on floor was just not going to happen, and my beam was a matter of pride more then a score; my backtuck-backtuck series was inherently unconnectable, although impressive)

I'm now a sophomore in college and got the opportunity to do some rec level coaching at the local YMCA. At the encouragement of my former coaches, I now have a 5-8 Judges rating and I love being back involved with competitions. Here's where it gets complicated. I was on the club gymnastics team my very first semester but quit for a variety of reasons - my back was flaring up and I didn't have my PT & ortho to help me deal with it, the environment in the gym was less then competitive to say the least, and I didn't mesh well with the team.

I'm now on the rugby team, which I love because I'm encouraged to work my absolute hardest, unlike the gym team. But lo and behold, my back is flaring up AGAIN. I haven't seen my ortho again yet, but I know the "you need to take a break" is coming. So I'm weighing lots of options here:
-go back to club gymnastics and just vault (I LOVE vault and it was never a real problem with my back) and deal with the team
-start coaching club (which is a huge time commitment, and i'll be leaving soon for grad school, so i don't want to desert the girls, but)
-asst coach high school
-wait out my burning desire to be in the gym more

sorry that was so long, but I think this is the place I'm going to get the best advice

Well if your back is giving you problems again and you need a break I doubt the doctor would want you doing any gymnastics. I would say first step is to make the Dr. appointment and see what he has to say.

If everything checks out or you can return after a short break why not do vault and coach, maybe if time is an issue coach part time rather than the team. Then you could have your cake and eat it too!

move on to coaching. the sport of gymnastics needs mature, responsible, loves children, comes early stays late adults.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back