Straight cast vs. straddle-up cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justanothergymmom

Proud Parent
I was wondering if a straight, legs-together cast is preferable to a straddle-up cast in a level 9 or level 10 uneven bars routine. What do most gymnasts do? What do coaches and judges prefer to see?

I think that most gymnasts do a straddle up handstand, because it seems to be easier to do with good form. I don't understand the timing of a straddle up, so I do a straight cast. My form isn't the best, though, so I get deducted on that.

a straddle cast is easier i believe. i do both, and straight legged is alot harder to get a complete handstand and not get deducted, as to a straddle cast where it s a lot easier to get up to handstand and not get deducted.

It depends.

A straight cast requires more strength, but is simpler in execution and sometimes allows for easier pirouettes.

A straddle cast requires less strength but on a technical level is more complex.

A short, stocky, strong gymnast who may not naturally have the cleanest technique will likely be better off doing a straight cast. A longer, leaner, less-powerful but more-technical gymnast will likely have an easier time with a straddled cast.

I tend to prefer working straight casts until about level 7, at which point I would allow the progressions to diverge depending on the gymnast.

From what I've seen, it would be more beneficial to teach the straddle cast first for female gymnasts. It does a better job of teaching them to get their hips over the bar and to use technique instead of strength. At the same time working press to handstands on floor to give them the edge should they need the extra strength at times.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back