WAG Strength Training Tips for a dancer from gymnasts! PLEASE

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

I am a girl and actually a dancer. I got the opportunity to go abroad and attend a dance and acro school but beside flexibility they have strength requirements!

The following:

20 good-form hanging leg raises
10 pull-ups
5 pull-up pull-overs (Never tried those-Sound soo hard!)
straddle press to handstand
a pike handstand (not from L-sit, just floor)
a good V-Sit for some seconds
hold a free standing handstand for 1 minute
climb a 12 ft rope without legs.

I can do about 5 full good-form hanging leg raises, 3 deadhang pull-ups, I can hold a straddle on floor for about 30 seconds and an L-sit on floor for about 10. I can easily press into handstand against a wall, I can hold a handstand against a wall for about 4 minutes, but free I can just do 3 secs or so!

the test will be in 14 months - is this achievable? We don't so strength at class so i need to work on it in my own!

Do you gymnasts have tipps or Training programs for me? I want it so much but I feel a little helpless!

Hope You guys can help!

Its great that you are getting started now. Those goals may very well be achievable with lots of hard work. See if you can install a pull up bar at home ( ask you parents first). Then work on all of the above along with planks ( and plank variations, look them up on the web) , push ups, and handstands. You can look up strength and abdominal strength on this site and other fitness sites. Look for a gymnastics gym near you and show them your list, they should be able to help with the rope climb, the pull up and overs and press handstands. Good luck and start training now.

I think those strength exercises are achievable in 14 months. The best exercise or drills that will help you do those is actually doing them. The pike to handstand may prove a little difficult if you are not flexible. As far as the free standing handstand, there is a technique to hold those. My daughter could not hold her handstand more than 15 secs. and like you she needed to hold them for a minute for TOPS. I found a drill and literally overnight, she was able to hold it for more than 30 seconds. She then just built up from there. I'll try to look for it. I cannot remember it from the top of my head. Getting pull up bar for the doorway as txgymfan's suggestion is a good idea. Amazon.com has a wide variety ranging from $25 and up.

If you work as hard on strength as you have at dance, and have someone with a bit of knowledge helping you....... well what do you think will happen?

I am a girl and actually a dancer. I got the opportunity to go abroad and attend a dance and acro school but beside flexibility they have strength requirements!

The following:

20 good-form hanging leg raises
10 pull-ups
5 pull-up pull-overs (Never tried those-Sound soo hard!)
straddle press to handstand
a pike handstand (not from L-sit, just floor)
a good V-Sit for some seconds
hold a free standing handstand for 1 minute
climb a 12 ft rope without legs.

I can do about 5 full good-form hanging leg raises, 3 deadhang pull-ups, I can hold a straddle on floor for about 30 seconds and an L-sit on floor for about 10. I can easily press into handstand against a wall, I can hold a handstand against a wall for about 4 minutes, but free I can just do 3 secs or so!

the test will be in 14 months - is this achievable? We don't so strength at class so i need to work on it in my own!

Do you gymnasts have tipps or Training programs for me? I want it so much but I feel a little helpless!

Hope You guys can help!

you said you started gymnastics "late" and that you have "bicep pain". make up your mind whatever you are...

In your other post you mention that you can do 20 leg raises, and in this post only 5. I'd imagine that if you did strength training regularly, you could achieve their requirements, but it will be rather difficult if you have terrible bicep pain.

Hi OP. I had to check your past posts because of what has been said in this thread. Perhaps you are posting different scenarios for your questions because you are not getting your questions answered and/or do not like the answers. It seems to me you may be looking for a quick, sure fire formula to achieve your goals. I can tell you at least two things about gymnastics, 1) there are no guarantees and 2) there are no short cuts. Only hard consistent work will get you the results you want. Good luck to you.

Hi OP. I had to check your past posts because of what has been said in this thread. Perhaps you are posting different scenarios for your questions because you are not getting your questions answered and/or do not like the answers. It seems to me you may be looking for a quick, sure fire formula to achieve your goals. I can tell you at least two things about gymnastics, 1) there are no guarantees and 2) there are no short cuts. Only hard consistent work will get you the results you want. Good luck to you.

Epic, timely, and wise!

Epic, timely, and wise!
Wow Iwannacoach. Thanks. It is rare that any of the good coaches of this forum likes any of my posts. But the couple posts (and I literally mean a couple) that have garnered approval from a coach in this forum makes me feel like I am actually learning or know something. :D

Wow Iwannacoach. Thanks. It is rare that any of the good coaches of this forum likes any of my posts. But the couple posts (and I literally mean a couple) that have garnered approval from a coach in this forum makes me feel like I am actually learning or know something. :D

Just don't get too cheeky, and it may just happen again. No, that doesn't mean it's time to open up your own club.......:D

I found a drill and literally overnight, she was able to hold it for more than 30 seconds. She then just built up from there. I'll try to look for it. I cannot remember it from the top of my head.

Did you find the drill? I'm interested to know what it was!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back