WAG Stronger ROBH?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel like my ROBH is "weak".
- I go slightly crooked (not too much)
- My coach is telling me that I am not jumping off both of my legs.. She says that my right leg pushes off more than my left (sometimes it switches)
- I feel like it is not "powerful". It feels a bit slow.
- This is starting to affect my back tucks.
I'm not afraid of doing one. But problems are constantly popping up D:

Should I condition more at home? If so, what are some good drills/ excercises?
Can someone give me some good tips on making it more powerful?

Thank you so much

I'm going to say its all in the hurdle and the round off because from my experience at my gym those with the weaker BHS are those with the weaker round offs and the weaker hurdles so maybe ask your coach for some drills for your round off? Some that might help you are korbut flics (with or without spot, probably with as you say your BHS is weak) - flic = BHS. Basically a Korbut flic/BHS is where you have either a spring board or something not too high and you kick to handstand. Once you kick to handstand you want to snap down and do a back handspring. Could you possibly not be getting your feet together in time to have them push off evenly - if this is the case have a block mat or a crash mat on its side with someone holding it up (it should be tall enough that your feet touch the mat in handstand the aim is to hurdle round off and have your feet hit the mat at the same time (you can hear whether they do or not). Also round offs uphill onto a crash mat (work up to round off BHS - you will need more than one crash mat) Also practice jump hurdle/power start round offs and then round off BHS that way your round off BHS will be a lot stronger from a small run if you can do a strong one from power start

Echoing gymgurl's comments: 99.9% of problems with backhandsprings actually have more to do with the hurdle and roundoff than with the backhandspring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back