Parents Success at Level 5 Sectionals!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late post... DD had level 5 Sectionals last weekend and she had a GREAT meet!

First of all, as many of you know DD has issues with vault. She walks over the table on her hands. Well, HC would NOT let her go to sectionals unless she made it over the table without walking. Level 5 practices 3 times a week... Sunday before the meet - nothing...

Tuesday before the meet - nothing...

Friday night before the meet - HC had a long talk with her regarding how she believed in her and knew she could do it. Both her team coaches worked relentlessly in helping her to get over her fears for months and it was now up to Kayla...

Well she rose to the occasion and MADE IT OVER THE VAULT TABLE WITHOUT WALKING!!! SIX TIMES!!!

On to the meet!

First up Vault:

Made it over both vaults with a small hop for a 7.5 (this is a GREAT score for Kayla)

Bars: 8.75 A nice routine and she has steadily improved on bars throughout the season. Started the season in the high 7's.

Beam (her best event): 9.325 (this is actually a low score for her, but she was a bit more cautious then normal (she was very worried she wouldn't qualify for States). It was though, as always a very pretty beam routine.

Floor: 9.175 Another ever improving, evolving event for her. She was scoring high 7's in the beginnning of the season.

AA: 34.75 (She's never scored a 34 before). So happy!!!

It is so exciting to watch her grow as a gymnast. We are so proud of her and so thankful to her awesome coaches!

What a GREAT story!!!! Congratulations to your DD!!!! WOW, I'm in awe of her determination!!! What a special personal triumph to savor!!! Enjoy these moments!!! This to me, is what this sport is REALLY about for our girls....this type of tangible personal triumph!!! Woo-hoo!!!! Hearing this story really made my day!!! Thanks for sharing!!! And good luck to your DD at STATES:D!!!!

Wow very cool...congrats to her for conquering that darn vault. She is on her way now!!!! My DD struggles with it too, doesn't walk it but, um, doesn't do it right either...at all. ;) We are hoping for divine intervention at state meet to pull her score out of the 7's! Congrats too on that 34AA and that 9 on floor. To have improved from the 7's is really something HUGE to be proud of. My DD still has not hit a 9.0 on floor in L5 but we can dream....Your daughter must be soaring with confidence and pride. I hope so, because it is very, extremely well deserved! CONGRATULATIONS.

Great to hear she has overcome her vault fears!! I agree it is so great to watch these girls improve so much in a season! Alex's first meet she scored in the 31's AA and her last 2 meets were in the 34's. That is HUGE!! Congrats to Kayla!!

Great job and what great improvements!!! My dd also struggles with fear on vault so I KNOW how estatic you (and her) must have been when she stuck both of them!! It's such a great feeling and the smile on their face is just priceless!!! And great job on the other events and the personal best AA score and congrats on her making it to States!!! Well done Kayla!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. The video is from a couple of meets ago. The venue for sectionals was not conducive to videography. But, the video is pretty similar to what she's doing at this meet with the exception of vault. No walks on vault this time! :)

What a wonderful post!! So glad that she had such a great meet! It seems like things are really working for her at her new gym. It takes awhile, old habits (and issue) take time to overcome. She is doing great!

Fantastic! I remember how concerned you were about her vaulting. What a time to pull out a good one! Her hard work at the new gym looks like it's paying off. Congrats to her! I'm sure she's pleased. Good luck at State!

Where was your sectionals? Ours was in/near Pittsburgh. Guess we'll be at the same "States" meet. We'll have to stay in touch and see which session our DD's end up in. Hopefully they won't take too long to post the schedule!

Great job to your DD! Mine is thrilled to be going to States, but was dissapointed at practice today when all of the girls who DIDN'T make it got to start working on level 6 skills while she and the other girl who DID make it had to keep working on the level 5 stuff. I think she feels like she's being punished for making it to States!

Congrats to your dd!! My dd just started training level 5 and vault is by far her biggest struggle, thank you for letting me know it does get better:) Good luck at states!

P.S.
Kathy's vault score at her first level 5 meet back in October was a 4.8. At sectionals it was an 8.65... almost double that original score! I'm finally beginnning to see the light at the end of the vault tunnel, so to speak! :) Dare I hope for a 9 at states? ;)

Where was your sectionals? Ours was in/near Pittsburgh. Guess we'll be at the same "States" meet. We'll have to stay in touch and see which session our DD's end up in. Hopefully they won't take too long to post the schedule!

Great job to your DD! Mine is thrilled to be going to States, but was dissapointed at practice today when all of the girls who DIDN'T make it got to start working on level 6 skills while she and the other girl who DID make it had to keep working on the level 5 stuff. I think she feels like she's being punished for making it to States!

Our sectionals were in Williamsport??? Somewhere down the Turnpike. I'm a Jersey girl and you know what they say, "you can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl." That's why I got GPS for Christmas a few Christmases ago.

So funny how you're DD feels punished for making it to states. I'm glad our new gym uptrains all year so she is always working on level 6 skills once she showed readiness.

We should definitely stay in touch. I got your pm. It would be fun to get together. We'll have to see how they schedule the meet. I'll be in touch!!!

P.S.
Kathy's vault score at her first level 5 meet back in October was a 4.8. At sectionals it was an 8.65... almost double that original score! I'm finally beginnning to see the light at the end of the vault tunnel, so to speak! :) Dare I hope for a 9 at states? ;)

WOW!!! That is some improvement. A-MAZ-ING!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back