MAG Summer Skills, updated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
It has been a while since everyone has updated! what are the boys up to?

D has finally started picking up some new skills. whew. I have no idea what most of them are, but here is what he says he can do or almost do (one of his favs)

Floor: rhbhsbl, fhs bounder ft, front lay
Pommel: scisssor pick up, almost has a travel down, has magyar, almost consistenton magyar/shivado, circles on handles
rings: Dislocates, mainly cleaning everything up. double back dismount and back full dismout into pit
vault: working tsuk and front handspring front tuck?
Pbars: back lay dismount (tonight!!) pirouette, moy support almost there, working some kind of flip over the bar thingie
high bar: endo on strap, giant giant flyaway, kip-cast-handstand-free hip

I think that is good ;) He is quite happy right now, but not quite to level 8 :( He says he will be fine with whatever, so that is good!

Hahah, flip over the bar thingie. I wonder if that is a peach or cast ( peach drill ) unless it's a front/back toss.

I don't watch practices and I'm clueless on the boys skills - just can't remember all the names. So here are just some things I heard lately from my son.

He just got a Stockley B Down - all I know is it is on Pommel Horse.
He is doing a double back off P-bars.
His giants on p-bars have improved - doing 3 in a row and not traveling.
Handstands on rings are much better. I think he has giants on rings.
Still struggles with floor. He is just not strong at tumbling so adding strength moves - wide arm press and floor flair.
He has endos and ???(like endos ones with legs apart and ones with legs together).
Vault - he is working a few different vaults - one is hand front. I can't remember the others.

Wow, D is making amazing progress! Can't wait to see his videos this year! What else does he need for L8?

As for DS, here's the list, based on what I've heard. L6 is starting to look kind of realistic.

FX: has front tuck (still inconsistent), FHS stepout FHS, still working on back tuck and doesn't yet have it connected to BHS on floor. But, BHS seems to be improving based on having caught a little bit of floor this week. They're also working on twisting. DS hasn't really got the hang of it yet, but he's got a nice front pike on tramp. Some of his teammates have fulls from tramp to mat.

PH: Moore looks good. Spindle flairs almost there. Russian, not so much. No Stockli in sight. He's confident that he'll have 1-2 bonuses by the first meet. False scissors very close on the horse. He's getting the dismount because he's tired of bruising the heck out of his knees. :)

SR: Back lever hold still ugly, but making some progress. Inlocate there but ugly. Don't know about anything else.

VT: They all seem to have their FHS vaults at this point.

PB: Close on the moy. Has an inconsistent long hang kip. Close on the stutz dismount. Saw some pb last night and was surprised by how he seems to be able to do three swings to handstand easily at will now.

HB: Kip finally looks good. Has giants in straps but not on the bar yet. Currently fretting over flyaway, but close. Some of his teammates have good ones!

momtotwingymnasts- what level is he competing this year? Sounds like he is getting some great skills!

profmom- level 6 will be great! A lot of kiddos added skills during the season, but I bet a lot of these come before season! Way to go :)

I don't know waht he needs completely. I know that he needs some front giants, those still seem to be a struggle. But, we are jsut waiting....I am still thinking level 7.

BlairBob- I have heard him talk about both of those, but I believe it is front toss he is mainly working now. That seems to be the most recent thing I heard about! LOL! Of course, we like to joke at the gym and just call everything "a flippy-twisty thingie" Too many strange words to learn in this sport!

Momtotwingymnasts, is he headed for L8? I LOVE wide-arm presses and floor flairs! Will be really interested to hear the reports on how the new L8s get their routines. Skschlag, when do your guys start competing? We don't start until December, so there's still plenty of time for the guys who are on the bubble regarding level. We could have a L6 team as large as 10 gymnasts, depending on who moves up and who doesn't.

DS made team and is at team camp all week. I know they are learning a lot more than I know, today is in house practice all day (as was Tuesday) and Mon/Wed were field trip bonding days followed by training when they got back. Tomorrow they travel across town to meet one of his favorite Olympians and see how elites train. He is super stoked about that.

Skills wise:

Pommel Horse: has bell swings and leg cuts to dismount. Is working on cleaning the leg cut to dismount up to make it look nicer.

Mushroom: still working on full circle consistently. Sometimes he gets it sometimes he doesn't.

Rings: has the routine down. He is also has the bonus hold of his "L" position and is working on the horizontal part before lowering to hang.

Vault: can do a front roll and flip, is working on handstand landing on his back. It's the fact that its ok to land on his back that he is working through.

P-bars: has basic routine down, is working on bonus hold and swinging higher. He can also side dismount.

High bar: this is putting the biggest smile on his face as he is learning the most on it and loving it. He has his pullover, hops, kips sometimes, is working on back hip circle and most of all straight legs. He can do just about everything on the lower bar so now they have moved to the high bar. He has a way to go, but I love seeing the smile on his face as he "gets" it.

Floor: needs the most work as his previous gym rarely did floor work. He can kick to handstand to forward roll, backward roll extend to prone support (he calls it the seal), he is close on splits - on a good day he gets it, can straddle hold, just started straddle hold to handstand and some days he gets it some times he doesn't. He is cleaning up his cartwheel and round off - they could be neater. They are practicing elements more than the whole routine right now.

Yes, DS is headed to Level 8 and 11 year old Future Stars. I don't think he is working routines yet - just skills.

Sounds like lots of progress being made by all this summer.

I love reading about all the boys, and what we have to look forward to as DS grows into the sport. We have lots of 6s and 7s in our gym and DS loves to watch them and loves when they work out with and show/help the younger ones. They are great role models.

I actually just talked to DS's coach yesterday, so know a little more of what he can do. (he is competing level 5 this year.)

Vault - yeah... he still lands on his butt some. His coach assures me that it will be fine by December.

Rings - he apparently has his inlocate and the flip thing at the end. That is all that I know.

P Bars - he held a handstand on the bars for 40 seconds the other day!!

Floor - finally has a front handspring. I think he has a RO/BHS/BHS on the floor and a RO/BHS/BT on the tumble track. He also has his full piroette.

Pommel/mushroom - he got his 5.5 circles last year, still has that. He now also has the spindels and is working on flairs.

High bar - his coach says he is really close to his kip. And I think he has the fly away dismount. He says he has the clear hip circle.

My DS is going to compete Level 6 this year.
Floor is going well- tumbling is getting higher and cleaner landings. Also he can twist forward and backward fulls on tumble track.
He can actually vault over the table! Pbars looks good. HS look easy for him this year and he has his moy to support and is working giants.
Pommel is going fine working on cleaning up the bonuses.
Rings - still cleaning up the uprise but can do nice inlocates and dislocates. High Bar- having a bit of a mental block. He's struggling with his giants out of strap so now he's starting to lose tricks like his kip and cast HS that he's had forever.
But he has a long time until meet season so I just keep dropping him off and telling him to go have some fun.
His new favorite thing to do at home is press HS up and down without touching while reading or watching his iPad. We counted 12 in a row one day!
It seems like he's living at the gym this summer but he loves it.

DS will compete level 6 this year, and honestly, the only thing I know for sure is that his tumbling looks good. I used to feel like I could follow and guess what it was supposed to look like (I was a gymnast, so even though I don't know men's gymnastics I could basically follow along well) and now I feel completely clueless. He did show me a mushroom routine yesterday that looked pretty cool. I think I need to go on youtube and watch some rings and bar routines!!! On the other hand, it's sort of nice to be completely naive and have no expectations. :) I also used to watch some practices because he and his sister would be in at the same time, but when his little sister moved up they are opposite times and I usually stay for some of hers since she is younger and none of his. So, I have turned into clueless mom (which may be a positive thing!!!).

Both my guys are on team now. Older, level 6 is having a tough time with everything in general, but that has less to do with the actual skills as it does with other stuff that's happening. Little one is doing well. He pretty much has all the skills, and he is just learning saluting and stuff like that. Because of his birthday, they wanted to compete him last year, but I didn't want him competing as a kindergartner.

Sorry to hear your older guy is not totally happy right now, J&A's mom. I hope things start going better for him soon. It's soooo cute watching the little guys learn the saluting process -- I vividly remember watching those lessons when my son was getting ready to compete L4. He practiced saluting at home!

Sorry your older DS is having a tough go of it at the moment. I bet little one looks up to him. We have a level 5/6 across the street (he is up training) and he loves that his "neighborhood younger brother" looks up to him. Lol. I totally "get" the saluting too- DS does it too

We (meaning J) had a rough start to L6 too. He left the kids he moved up with behind and was the youngest by almost 4 years but its getting better. This is the first time I've seen him afraid ( of giants) and worried about letting everyone down if he doesn't get everything. But he seems to be much better lately. He was thrilled today bc he got to do the L7 pommel horse routine and work the L7 pbar dismount. I am worried about training hours and school this year- everyone claims 4th grade is rough.

A new skill...finally. Coach said it wa sa big step to level 8, if only the other events would catch up. He got a "check-year" on pommel (on the handles.) I have no idea what that is, or how to spell it, but that is how it sounds ;)

I used to try to keep up with the skills, but I am leaning more towards the.. "wow, that was cool" camp! And calling things a "twisty flippy thing"I just can't keep up anymore! In fact, we have code words for giants...his first giants and the other giants since I still can't figure out which is which! (first giants are also sometimes called flyaway giants!) but pommel skills really all kind of look the same to me :eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back