Parents Summer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
Curious how it works at other clubs. Does your child's gym close at all during the summer? Offer camp? How many hours do they do?

DDs gym doesn’t alter training for the summer. Optionals are 16 hours a week, in the evening. They stop team practice while they have team camp, which is 9-4 for one week, but that’s it other than the day that July 4th is celebrated.

DDs gym doesn’t alter training for the summer. Optionals are 16 hours a week, in the evening. They stop team practice while they have team camp, which is 9-4 for one week, but that’s it other than the day that July 4th is celebrated.

That makes it easy- no waiting around for the summer schedule to come out and hoping the hours aren't too crazy!

That makes it easy- no waiting around for the summer schedule to come out and hoping the hours aren't too crazy!
True! My other daughter’s dance studio doesn’t switch either so it works out. Unfortunately for us, the dance studio charges us full tuition every month even though they’re closed 3/4 of the weeks in June. I’ll take the gym! Ha!

Reactions: RTT
Our gym closes Memorial Day Week and the 2nd week of August. We have team camp in June. Hours change for my son's group...usually 5-9, but 8-1 over the summer.

Well her in Australia Summer coincides with Christmas and New Year. Pretty much everyone shuts for at least a few weeks because it’s both Christmas and Summer, everyone stops and spends time with their families. We also only have 6 weeks of school holidays over the Summer, so we don’t change our schedule during any school breaks.

Hours change after July 4, usually a few more hours per level than during the school year and most of the practices are during the day, rather than evening, and no weekend practices. 6 weeks of that, one week of team camp and then one week closed before starting with the school year schedule.

We are off the entire month of July (the week beginning July 1 through the week beginning July 29). There are 2 weeks of Rec Camp (5 days, 5-7pm each week). The first week, they are off the whole week for the 4th of July - the big factories in the area all close down that week too, so a lot of ppl take their vacations that week. The following 2 weeks are Rec Camp. The week after that, we are off for Fair Week (Fairgrounds are across from the gym, so ppl tend to use our parking lot... plus we have girls in 4-H and FFA that "show" at the fair). The final week, we are off to stay on track with the YMCA "month" schedule.
For rec camp, Team can attend and work out on the open event or be "junior camp counselors" and help with the campers. If they are working out, they can choose to come any of the days or all of them. If they are helping, it is preferred that they are there all 5 days in a week so they can be paired with a specific camper the whole time.

Increased total hours in the summer and different schedule with all daytime/weekday hours for level 4 and up.

Gym closes for a week in the summer. No camp for team kids, just regular summer practice.

I’m curious - what is different about team camp compared to regular summer practice? More hours? Anything else?

Same number of hours, but the times are changed to daytime instead of night. The gym takes a group of team members to a camp (Flipfest) they also suggest that team kids go to the local college gymnastics camp. There is also a clinic in the late summer.

Increased total hours in the summer and different schedule with all daytime/weekday hours for level 4 and up.

Gym closes for a week in the summer. No camp for team kids, just regular summer practice.

I’m curious - what is different about team camp compared to regular summer practice? More hours? Anything else?
Our team camp is mostly more hours- from the normal 16 to 32. They also spend a little time on team bonding.

Our camp is full day for a week. Lots of team building, games, basics, and skills. The kids love it!

For my DD, more hours per week in the summer than school year. The schedule changes so it is during the day and no weekends.

One week of camp (more hours with generally fun stuff, goal setting, bonding for the extra hours). They also bring in some special coaches that week.

Really only days off are national holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July). But having weekends free is really nice.

Our gym doesn't close at all for summer but does one week of team camp (9a-3p) and there is no practice that week. The girls find out their summer training groups at the end of this month and if last summer's example carries over, they will train about 3-4 additional hours over the summer (starting 1st week of June) and then move to the school year schedule in mid-August. I wish they did a daytime practice option in the summer! And had a week or two off!

Curious how it works at other clubs. Does your child's gym close at all during the summer? Offer camp? How many hours do they do?

We switch to day training Monday - Thursday 9-2 for all optionals. There are also three weeks spread throughout the summer that the gym is closed. I love it.

Training hours go up a bit (by about 4-6 hours) and switch to daytime hours. I love it. I love having the evenings free since it's light for so long. We really catch up on family time during the summer.

The gym doesn't close at all and we don't host a camp.

Two weeks of downtown. Then back to same number of hours as winter training. They are just in the morning as opposed to afternoon.

A week off at the beginning. A week off at the end. And no matter what, my DD and DS will be set up so that 1) at least one of them is in the gym every day of the week except Sunday, 2) they only have partially overlapping practices once or twice a week, and 3) there's at least one day when they both have practice that does not overlap at all and thus necessitates two round trips to the gym.

Switch to day hours. 8 to 1 Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday. No closed weeks, coach is fine with being out two weeks but prefers no more than 2.

Our teams up the hours slightly, too, from 19 to 24 for 8-10s. We close the week of Fourth of July. Hours are 8-1 or 1-5 during the week, so we get our evenings and weekends back for 10 glorious weeks! I love summer! I miss my kiddo so much during the year, especially now that she drives herself to practice. Summer is catchup time for our family, too, and we try to live it up. I’ll never understand parents wishing for school to start again! Then again I only have two kids lol..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back