Parents Survived first Level 7 meet (barely)!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really enjoyed watching her and I also think her score was great. A lot of girls from our gym do not even get to compete bars at there 1st level7 meet. I think an 8.2 was a good bar score. I quess if other girls were scoring 38 I would feel intimated too it is hard not to compare.

First, let me just say that your gymmie did a wonderful job as a first time L7 competitor. So, congratulations to her for this achievement! You all have every reason to be proud.

With that said, allow me to be direct and be the first to state that these scores are probably high for today's L7 standards. Given that the meet was won by a 38+, I think her placement is appropriately ranked. Again, no disrespect intended.

Over the last couple of seasons under the new rules, judges have been far more conservative in giving out high scores. For instance, kids have been scoring low 8s with decent bars routines that had no falls. So, her 8.2 for bars with 2 falls is really outstanding. Same goes for the other 3 events. Of course, that is not to say that there have not been high scores given out (like 37/38). But, all of those that I have seen over recent seasons have been exceptional and were elite bound caliber.

Yes..a 35.55 is not barely in my book. That is AWESOME!

My DDs first level 7 meet last month was a 23. something something. I am still trying hard to forget the score and to find some positive improvements :)

I don't mean to sound mean but I wanted to comment on your use of the word "barely". Perhaps at your gym this was not a great first meet but for many gymnasts they may never get a score like that at level 7.

Any way congratulations to your daughter and I hope her year goes well.

Sporty, certainly I mean no disrespect to anyone. I only used the word "barely" because of the somewhat disastrous bar routine. She was the lowest scorer on her team and, as NotaMom mentioned the scores were high. Thanks for your good wishes. I will pass them on to dd.

First, let me just say that your gymmie did a wonderful job as a first time L7 competitor. So, congratulations to her for this achievement! You all have every reason to be proud.

With that said, allow me to be direct and be the first to state that these scores are probably high for today's L7 standards. Given that the meet was won by a 38+, I think her placement is appropriately ranked. Again, no disrespect intended.

Over the last couple of seasons under the new rules, judges have been far more conservative in giving out high scores. For instance, kids have been scoring low 8s with decent bars routines that had no falls. So, her 8.2 for bars with 2 falls is really outstanding. Same goes for the other 3 events. Of course, that is not to say that there have not been high scores given out (like 37/38). But, all of those that I have seen over recent seasons have been exceptional and were elite bound caliber.

NotaMom, I agree that some of the scoring was quite high. My dd hit handstand on both her casts and her free hip, and made her giant, and so I am supposing this is one reason for her score. That said, I personally thought it was high. In fact, I couldn't at first believe it was her score as I was expecting a 7 something. Vault scoring was no doubt high, but beam and floor seemed pretty fair to me. There were a lot of 37s at this meet so again I agree that scoring was high. DD probably will not do so well at the next meet.

I will say that the meet was attended by two gyms that have girls very likely elite bound and that several of the girls on the podium are headed to camp in Texas next week. I saw some of their routines and they were pretty near flawless.

I am unable to edit my post apparently to remove the word "barely", so I will just apologize to anyone who I may have offended by the use of the word. I only intended to refer to bars, which were difficult for my dd and had her in tears.

Thanks to all who have responded.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back