Parents sweaty hands and feet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wonder why they don't allow beam shoes, they are allowed in competition.

Thank you Sasha for all the usef information....I'm going to Target today after I pick up dd from the gym.

The weird part about all this is I know she would be so much more confident with beam shoes and chalk.

Thank you again for all the replies!

I'm not sure why they don't allow the beam shoes Idw4mio but I coach ds in another sport and I bend over backwards (not literally lol) to make sure everyone has their equipment and is comfortable at practice.

gymdog....she has liquid chalk in her bag, it works great for a few minutes but she said it wears off quickly ugh! Thank you for the suggestion!

My DD has palmar hyperhidrosis which is extreme sweating of the hands and feet. She was diagnosed with this at age 6, most days her hands and feet sweat so much they literally drip water as if she just got out of the shower. Thhe drysol did not work for her so we ordered her a machine from Germany (it is not FDA approved in the US) but it worked like a miracle. Her old gym did not allow chalk on the beam, vault was OK. In Level 3 she actually fell during her handstand on beam because her hand literally slipped off the beam it was so wet and she fractured her growth plate in her shoulder, she was out for 4 months. After that she was allowed to use chalk, needless to say we switched gyms the year after, they did not promote her using chalk, more like discouraged it. My suggestion if the Doctor won't prescribe the drysol again be adamant the gym allow the use of chalk and a lot - allow her to bring her own chalk and chalk bucket so she never runs out and if that doesn't work change gyms. Her safety is a concern and they seem like they aren't putting it first.

ha ha duyetanh..I will send your dd the beam fairy but my dd definitely does not have miracle beams at her gym, just chalk free beams.

My DD has palmar hyperhidrosis which is extreme sweating of the hands and feet. She was diagnosed with this at age 6, most days her hands and feet sweat so much they literally drip water as if she just got out of the shower. Thhe drysol did not work for her so we ordered her a machine from Germany (it is not FDA approved in the US) but it worked like a miracle. Her old gym did not allow chalk on the beam, vault was OK. In Level 3 she actually fell during her handstand on beam because her hand literally slipped off the beam it was so wet and she fractured her growth plate in her shoulder, she was out for 4 months. After that she was allowed to use chalk, needless to say we switched gyms the year after, they did not promote her using chalk, more like discouraged it. My suggestion if the Doctor won't prescribe the drysol again be adamant the gym allow the use of chalk and a lot - allow her to bring her own chalk and chalk bucket so she never runs out and if that doesn't work change gyms. Her safety is a concern and they seem like they aren't putting it first.
That is horrible! I now feel like they are demon beams.

Rain14322...I am so sorry your little gymmie went through that emotional and physical pain, how sad since her fall should have been prevented.

we purchased Certain Dri today and I'm hoping it works. I hope your dd continues to stay dry.

Was the recent meet her first one ever? If she's pretty new to competition, I could see the gym not wanting her to go into beam shoes right away, figuring that as she gets more experience, she will have less anxiety at meets. At DD's gym, I've never seen anyone under around L7 in beam shoes. I would also guess that as she gains more experience competing, this issue will improve.

oh that's a great point profmom, yes she only competed one time ever. We are hopeful that the issue will improve once she competes more. She loves her gym, loves the coaches (although they are tough) and really wants to do well. She just hopes she can keep dry for long enough on the beam and vault.

She took second on vault at the meet and she said she would have done better if her palms weren't so wet.

I guess it just depends on the gym in terms of beam shoes...some girls have them from the beginning. ..my dd's does not, but her good friend two hours away has been in them since she was a level 2 (level 5 now).

OT... Other than this issue, what is the reason for beam shoes?? I have actually never seen anyone wear them IRL...

The only people at our gym who ever wear beam shoes are the "sweaty Bettys". When someone is leaving puddles behind on beam.... There's a need for beam shoes!! Other than that, nobody. We currently don't have anyone using them but one gymmie will likely need them soon as she's doing more complicated stuff. I have a few hand sweaters in my developmental group. I would never put their safety at risk! I haven't had anyone ask for chalk on beam yet, only bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back