WAG Swimming before a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are never, never, never EVER allowed to swim the night before compete. No hot tub, no floating & they probably would rather us take a shower versus have a bath. It's absolutely forbidden.

If she catches you she will kick you out of the pool- only happened to two girls in four years; the rest of us knew better than to pee off our coach before a meet!

We were never given a legitimate reason other than "because I said so!"

You must all be from cold states! Swimming happens practically daily 8 months out of the year here. Maybe we're used to it or something but no one would dream of telling the kids not to.

Absolutely! I have never heard of this rule until now. Our coach wants the kids to have a good, healthy dinner, get to bed early and not do a ton of strenuous stuff the day before, but a little fun in the pool is more than likely going to be relaxing and will help them sleep well. Actually, the kids get so excited when they travel that they need a moderate activity to help burn off that energy - they can't just sit around all day.

And ice skating ... eek! No way - my DD's luck she'd go and hurt herself! Most of our team has never ice skated before.

This is kind of funny. Our coach has suggested no swimming, but that is because he knows his boys! LOL! They would totally overdo it ;) But hearing from states where pools are the daily thing, swimming seems like no big deal.

Our coach's main rule when we travel is no SKIING the day before the meet ;)

And ice skating ... eek! No way - my DD's luck she'd go and hurt herself! Most of our team has never ice skated before.

Right??? I've never taken Bella ice skating because of worries about falls. I just picture snapped wrists or broken fingers. It bothers me a little when she goes roller skating!

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

Why would you let your gymnasts go swimming when they can be locked up in a hotel, thinking constantly about the competition tomorrow and how it is the most important meet ever and they better not screw up! ;)

This is kind of funny. Our coach has suggested no swimming, but that is because he knows his boys! LOL! They would totally overdo it ;) But hearing from states where pools are the daily thing, swimming seems like no big deal.

Our coach's main rule when we travel is no SKIING the day before the meet ;)

Too funny. Our coach is actually trying to schedule a meet next year in CO so that the boys CAN go skiing. :D But he is from France and now lives in the US, in the South. So he really misses skiing. haha

We have a pool, are about 5 minutes from multiple beaches, so swimming is kind of a year round thing here. Especially during the summer. My little one will swim in the morning, eat lunch, then go to the gym with no issues. We also have divers in our optional program, the coach's surf, and going to the beach after Saturday practice is normal. I don't think any of the parents would let their kids spend all morning in the pool, then go compete...but a blanket no swimming policy wouldn't fly.

No swimming, skiing, anything tiring and/or dangerous before a meet. No prolonged sun exposure and drink lots of water. These are coach's rules :D

no prolonged sun exposure for sure. Moxiegrl83 brings up diving and gymnastics both. that's not such a good idea as they advance. this again has to do with the vestibular system and what i have referred to as a "transfer" problem. we must reinforce that gymnasts land on their feet. diving reinforces the opposite. this is a no brainer but diving coaches love us.

the only risk to the swimming pool is the water itself. not the physical act of swimming. there is the risk of water born infections and the kids can end up with ear infections. yes, it happens. but it's not going to happen each and every time you go swimming.

no prolonged sun exposure for sure. Moxiegrl83 brings up diving and gymnastics both. that's not such a good idea as they advance. this again has to do with the vestibular system and what i have referred to as a "transfer" problem. we must reinforce that gymnasts land on their feet. diving reinforces the opposite. this is a no brainer but diving coaches love us.

the only risk to the swimming pool is the water itself. not the physical act of swimming. there is the risk of water born infections and the kids can end up with ear infections. yes, it happens. but it's not going to happen each and every time you go swimming.

So the whole "softening the callouses" thing is nothing? That's what our coaches say is the biggest concern. Maybe for kids who don't swim on a regular basis? That's why they limit it to 15 minutes only.

cause the the skin stays saturated and never dries out, right? [Dunno winks over and over cause he can't find that wink thing]

A brief "family swim" the evening before a meet is ok, but I'd limit it to 20-30 minutes tops. Any other time of the year....swim until you look like a wrinkled wrinkle. It's good exercise, especially for core tension if the kid's actually swimming instead of "horsing around".

Re ear infections: my kids aren't prone to them at all so we don't do this for one-off occasions, but alcohol or swimmer's ear drops after swimming would lessen that risk and help to dry out the ear canal.

You cannot prevent everything. Kids pick up germs from the air and every surface they touch as well, not just from pool water. Norovirus strikes within hours of contact, and it is a real risk every time our team gets on a plane to go to a meet. We just have to take reasonable precautions and hope for the best. For us, a little pool time (if it works out with the schedule) tends to have more benefits than drawbacks.

Re ear infections: my kids aren't prone to them at all so we don't do this for one-off occasions, but alcohol or swimmer's ear drops after swimming would lessen that risk and help to dry out the ear canal.
A few drops of a mixture of vinegar and rubbing alcohol will take care of it. Only do it if the kid feels water in the ear after drying off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back