WAG Switching from Xcel to JO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m currently a Xcel Silver gymnast. Next year I’m supposed to move up to Gold which I’m so excited about. In the future I would really like to do JO optional levels but I don’t like the JO program below that. If I did switch though, I would probably go to level 4 or 5 which I think is the first required level. Does this mean I would have to decide to switch to JO instead of Gold so I could do the required JO levels? Or, would I be able to work my way up through the Xcel program and then switch to JO when I could be an optional level gymnast? I’m just confused if level 4 (I think) is required then would I have to do that in order to eventually be on JO? I hope that makes sense!

You can switch into JO at any level, I would suggest if you want to switch into JO, compete gold first so you can get the compulsories out of the way. You have to petition in to it if you are 13 or older.

I’m not an expert, but Here are the rules about switching from Xcel to the Development Program (formerly known as JO).

B. Athletes whose competitive experience has been in any system (including USA Gymnastics’ Xcel Program) must enter the Development Program at Level 4.

C. Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience other than USA Gymnastics but including USA Gymnastics Xcel athletes, and who is a minimum of 12 years of age is eligible to petition by submitting a formal written request to the SAC for entry into Level 7 and below. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level.

If a gymnast is 12 or older, they can submit a petition to move to DP level 5-7. However, individual gyms may insist that gymnasts compete level 4 and score out to level 5 or 6. Petitioning may be possible in the rules but not possible at your gym, so talk to your coaches about your goals and the best path for you.

If you go to gold for development and gain the skills for DP6/7 than it is not uncommon for a gym to have you do two in house score out meets the following summer and get you to 6/7 for the next competition season. You don't have to do a full year at those levels.

I’m currently a Xcel Silver gymnast. Next year I’m supposed to move up to Gold which I’m so excited about. In the future I would really like to do JO optional levels but I don’t like the JO program below that. If I did switch though, I would probably go to level 4 or 5 which I think is the first required level. Does this mean I would have to decide to switch to JO instead of Gold so I could do the required JO levels? Or, would I be able to work my way up through the Xcel program and then switch to JO when I could be an optional level gymnast? I’m just confused if level 4 (I think) is required then would I have to do that in order to eventually be on JO? I hope that makes sense!
First option - Score out of Level 4 2x with at least a 36.0 or score out of Level 4 & Level 5.

Other Option:
"Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience ... including USA Gymnastics Xcel program, and who is a minimum of 12 years of age is eligible to petition by submitting a formal
written request to the SAC for entry into Level 7 and below. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level." (USAG R&P 2023-24)

Does your gym allow you to do this,cross over to JO? I know at our gym, Xcel is used as basically a rec team, not nearly as many hours or focus on form/technique. We get a lot of call of girls wanting to switch over and move to level 5/6 and it’s rarely happend because they don’t have the same foundation as our compulsory. Not saying this is your case, because gyms use xcel differently.

Our gym has girls move back and forth. More common from DP to xcel but they do let girls move back if they have the skills. My daughter is moving from 4 to gold this year due to her flexibility being a little less than what level 6 would require for split jumps etc and she doesn't want to do 4 again (had 33-35s but our gym does not compete 5). The plan is for her to do gold and platinum then consider moving over to 6 or 7. She would probably petition (she is 12 already).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back