WAG Tap Swings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That is the level that my daughter peeled off a tap swing and broke her elbow. Long story, but super long recovery, basically caused her career to end at level 10. And in AAU, it is required that coaches stand between the bars for Level 3 (AAU jumps to high bar and does a long hang pullover and tap swings instead of the stride circle). The routine is void if they are not standing there.
Do they also require active spotting (not a coach just standing there, but a coach on the balls of his/her feet to do something if the girl falls)?

I peeled off twice as a kid and landed on the lowbar. What should the spotter do, maybe push you over the lowbar do you miss it? I honestly think the underswing is a dangerous skill because it's so easy to shoot too high and fligh off on the tap swing.

I wish our coaches stood between the bars. I think it would encourage some of the kids who have peeled badly in practice to swing bigger at meets. They stand sort of off to the side by the low bar.

I have watched my older daughter peel off on a tap swing during a meet and land straight on her head (terrifying, and no coach spotting at all). My youngest has also peeled off at practice and sprained her ankle (I’m going to assume no spotting there either). It’s been awhile since I have watched L4/5 bars at a meet but I will pay extra attention at the next one I go to. Seems like spotting really should happen at a meet!

I've seen a broken forearm ne cause le peeling.

Here we have to stand on a spotting block between the bars for the lower levels (1 to 3) after that, we are allowed to be there. We can also adjust the distance between the bars as we want. We always have gymnova bars in competition and they are really easy to adjust.

I coach pre-team. They aren't allowed to catch the high bar yet and they never swing the high bar by themselves. They swing on the low bar, in the pit.

Do they also require active spotting (not a coach just standing there, but a coach on the balls of his/her feet to do something if the girl falls)?
The coaches all always ready to catch a falling gymnast. And I've seen optional coaches who move back and forth from between the bars to the outside of the bars as their gymnast performs.

This video shows a coach spotting the tap swings then re-positioning himself to spot the flyaway

The coach in that video is doing the absolute most he can to be ready for a possible accident. That's what every coach should do, at all times. It is the coach's job (literally) to be there in case something goes awry. However, peels can happen on other skills too, and at any time. Even if a gymnast has never peeled, it could still happen. Judgement must be used, taking everything into account on that given day.

"Statistics are no substitute for judgement."

In my opinion, if a coach isn't standing in during a bars routine, they are being negligent. In optional levels, standing between the bars for the duration of the whole routine is a 0.1 deduction, so in this situation the coach should move in and out as necessary, based on each individual gymnast.

And I have a bit more to say about the deduction for standing in at optional levels… what a stupid rule! I understand that it exists so the coach does not get in the way of the judge evaluating the routine, which is a valid point. Coaches should stand in at the far side so as not to obstruct the judges' view, and the deduction should only be applied if they are blocking the judges' view.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back