Parents Team contract....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
Is it ok/normal to ask to review a team contract prior to agreeing to team? With weslan's medical concerns I don't want to commit to something without an option out if needed.

we have a team contract that comes out in the fall before season. It lays out the fees, costs, etc. It is until the end of season. Our old gym did not have one, but they would not refund anything if you left. I like ours because it seems to protect both parties, not just the gym. There are provisions for injuries, but that is it.

I am not sure when exactly we get it, as we got it in October as that is when we moved there. We had to sign it before we could sign up for the session (after his trial).

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking to review any contract before signing it. I will say that only two gyms (out of 8 we have experience with) had any contract at all. Personally, I love a contract because I like when things are clearly laid out on both sides.

Is it ok/normal to ask to review a team contract prior to agreeing to team? With weslan's medical concerns I don't want to commit to something without an option out if needed.

Oh, and I definitely reviewed it. I took a good 2-3 days to decide..

Is there a MAG team now at your gym for your son? I thought they were transitioning MAG out and T&T in? Maybe I missed something.

Anyway, there is no contract for our MAG team. Even though we are a large team (for MAG) with high participation from level 4-10. Even with no contract, our gym tends to retain the boys who actually stay in gymnastics (of course along the way, we lose many to other sports or life like any gym.) We pay the gym month to month for practice tuition, and can leave, quit, whatever at any time with no penalty other than losing that one month tuition. Once a year we pay a lump sum for the competitive season and I assume that is not in any way refundable. We also have a booster club to offset competition costs and while volunteering is expected it is not required (legally can not be.) Again, no contracts, so we have no experience with gym contracts.

But heck yeah, I have been married to a lawyer long enough to know that you should read ANY contract before you commit to anything. And if there is anything you do not understand get that clarified and, if possible, have a lawyer look it over.

Always appropriate to review anything before signing.

I do think a lot of times there are clauses about injuries/medical needs to withdraw. Obviously check yours. We don't do a contract, so we can also drop at any time with 30 days notice, but if there is an injury or illness requiring a long time out of the gym, they will work with you on pausing tuition.

Definitely ask to review it before. I did this just to make sure I could meet everything that's being required.

Yes, we are given a contract every year and not expected to sign it that same day or week. Read it and discuss what it says with your athlete. Our contract must be signed by both parents and the athlete as well.

We have a team contract. It isn't honored by our gym, and a lawyer told me it isn't binding anyway, so take everything with a grain of salt.

You definelty should be able to review the contract before signing it. If you feel there are mitigating circumstances in your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to discuss them with the gym, if there are health concerns they may allow yiu to vary parts of the contract.

The contract serves a few purposes and one of the main ones is so thatbyiu know what you are up for before it all begins. How many hours a week, how much money, extra fees for travel, comps etc, expectations etc. that way there are no surprises later on.

Gymnastics is not like most other sports, a greater commitment is needed, due to its intense nature so most teams do have strict rules about attendance and commitment.

Most gymnastics teams do not run at a profit, many gyms runt heir teams at a loss or a break even mark and make up for it by making a profit on their recreational classes. But unlike red classes they can't just take kids in year round, acceptances are made at the start of the season and may not come around again until the following season. So if a kid or two drop out it can hit them hard, that is why parents are often asked to commit to the full season.

Thank you for all of the responses. I have received a copy of the contract, we are working out a few minor issues with scheduling and his potential health issues but we are on the right track. Ready or not we are about to be a gymnastics team family!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back