WAG Teammates?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey! I am an optional girl at a very small gym. Im the only level 8. And ee have two level 7's. We have about 7 level 6's and we all practice together in one group.
When I am practicing the other girls seem to always mess around and walk right in the way of me. Like for example i was working on round off layout dismounts off of beam and one if the girls walk right across the mat. I almost crushed her. Ive told them several times that they need to watch where they are going, but they never seem to listen. This happens more than enough times, and ive seen some pretty close calls. Somebody is going to get hurt if this keeos happening. Do you guys have any advice for me? And how to get them to pay attention to whats going on?

This is just one person's opinion on how it could be handled. Talk to your coach about allowing you to call a team meeting. As the highest level gymnast, you should be something of an example (if not a leader) already. Discuss this and other things that relate to your team (good and bad) and then do some type of team building exercise.

Them it becomes about the best interest of the team rather than the lower level girls thinking that you don't want them in your way. I'm sure you can see the, "She thinks she's so great because she the highest level..." nonsense coming if it becomes about people getting in your way rather than keeping the whole team safe.

It seems to me that the coaches should be taking care of this - especially if it is an ongoing problem. Have you tried to talking to them? Give specific examples of very close calls so that in case they didn't see them they know exactly what you are talking about. Safety should be #1 and hopefully something will be done.

I am surprised the coaches have not addressed this already... What do they do while you are training? Every child in our gym is reminded to watch where they walk and will be told off if they cross the path of someone else working. Young children/recreation kids must move to parts of the gym in lines so they are visible. Dismount mats are for landing not for traffic, and kids should be busy at stations/apperatus not wandering around.

It's a safety issue plain and simple. These girls are old enough, and have been in the gym long enough, to know better. If the coaches are not aware that this is happening, bring it to their attention and let them handle it.

This is not, nor should it be your problem, and don't wory about it sounding like it's "all about you". Why? Because it is, and should be about you.....and the safety of every girl on the team. Talk to your parents and have them talk to the coach. I'm thinking the coach has missed the point all ready, and will miss the point again if you bring it up. I mean geez, this stuff happens right under the coach's nose, and the fact that it's still going on just screams indifference ond ignorance.

Have your folk do this, and don't let them stop until the problem goes away.

Where is your coach??? Is he/she not paying attention? What you've described is a potentially dangerous situation, and if you are not comfortable speaking with the coach, then your parents should get involved.

extra rope climbs, extra bungies, extra sit-ups, or extra laps will drive the point home very quickly to those that can't follow the rules. Safety first.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back