Coaches The chalk bucket (not this forum)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twisting007bigflip

Coach
Proud Parent
Though I'm not currently spotting bars due to a shoulder thing, I've noticed that my kids are chalking constantly it seems. Anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce time around the chalk bucket? I feel like there has to be a way. I honestly wonder (per kid) how much actual time is spent training bars and how much time is spent chalking.

A for instance: I have 10 kids in my group so I usually set up 5 stations. I spot one station and the kids do the other stations independently. Due to equipment, I only have 2 stations that require chalk, and the others are usually shaping or floor bar or some kind of disguised conditioning. We spend 30 minutes going through the stations. I usually have the kids spend about 5 minutes at each station. The kids at my station which is usually routines or up training can usually get in 3 routines. That's 6 routines between the two kids (compulsory level 5s) in 5 minutes. I feel like the kid who isn't doing the routine could be doing other things, but they chalk so much that there isn't time for them to finish a second task at my station...or if they finish it, I am stuck waiting on them an we don't make it all the way around....

Suggestions on spending less time chalking??

I often set up my bar workouts in a circuit: the gymnast do something spotted with me, something by themselves on the other set of bars, casting or some sort of other drill on a single rail, a couple floor bar or shaping stations, and then they are allowed to get chalk before they come back with me. In other words, they have to go all the way around the circuit and get chalk on their way. Seems to work.

I'll give that a try. These kids just seem to think that they need t chalk after every routine, or after every 3-5 clear hips or whatever skill we might be training. The only thing is that I don't want to make them "uncomfortable" on the bars from feeling like they dont have enough chalk. I know, I know...these are level 5s not swinging giants or doing huge releases....I'm just tired of standing around and waiting

I believe that bars is the most physically difficult event, so I expect and allow a little extra time getting from station to station for recovery. Most girls can't kip, cast, giant, clear hip, etc. for an hour straight (I wish!). Also, I believe only the athletes know how much chalk they truly need, so I would never regulate that. How would you feel if you said 'no more chalk', and then had an athlete peel? Having said that, I do find myself reminding them on occasion that it is a 'chalk box' and not a 'talk box', as they do seem to forget rather easily. :)

have have several generations that do not use water, I allow them to start using water when they reach level 8. By that time they are pretty efficient in the bucket. Some kids just never use water even when they are allowed.

Get one of these buckets for each kid on bars (8 kids = 8 buckets)...

Homer Bucket 5-Gal. Orange Bucket-05GLHD2 at The Home Depot

Put each bucket on the outer perimeter of bars...make sure they are not close together...each kid must go to their own bucket only.

Bam!...chalking up is not as fun when you can't talk.

Chalking up once every time around the whole circuit works well too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back