The day has come . . .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tumblequeensmom

Proud Parent
DD just got home from the beach and asked if I had already paid the upcoming season's meet fees. She KNOWS I have paid everything that's due up to this point. I knew where she was going with this! Yes, after 6 years in the sport, she has decided that she is done. She is a junior in high school, is taking some difficult classes and would be a Level 8 this upcoming season. She no longer wants to practice 16-20 hours per week knowing that there's no scholarship at the end of the tunnel. She's been "iffy" about gymnastics for awhile now, but always kept at it through thick and thin. I'm just sad because things were finally starting to come together for her regarding her giants, series on beam, vault, etc. Such is life! I just want her to find something else to keep her busy other than BOYS!

Oh no :( Have you made any payments yet? I hope she finds something new that she loves, does she have any thoughts on what she would like to do?

Has she thought about maybe cutting back on her training? Or maybe trying Prep Opt or something like that? Best of luck to you and your DD with whatever she chooses to do!

If she still likes gym, she could just do HS gym and not club gym. I personally had a horrible HS gym experience but only because of some mean older girls and a mean coach. Everyone else I know loves it! I hit that point at the start of my sophomore year. The commute was getting too much plus the hours and I wanted to have more of a social life. I went back to gym my senior year because I missed it so much.

But if she's done with gym, it's good she was able to reach that on her own. Good luck to her with whatever she does! And remember some boys are okay! Some you have to watch out for though. (And please keep posting here)

Oh my. I can't imagine how I will feel when this day comes (other than, perhaps, less broke). Even though it is her sport, there's no way a child can participate in a sport like this without the whole family being involved (emotionally, financially) to a certain extent and that makes it hard. Best of luck to her (and you!) as she moves forward from here! Chalk Bucket group hug! :grouphug:

well, I can certainly understand your thoughts on the boys thing ;)...and I can understand her point too. It is an exhausting lifestyle for the kids and I see where she would be ready to be done. As a junior she just has these last 2 years and then it is on to college...hopefully she can enjoy these years without too many boys and find something great to do with her time. I know you must be sad. I will be sad too when my girls quit, I think. First I will celebrate my new found wealth and then I will be sad. ;)

Good luck to her (and you) on finding a new activity. Not all boys are bad- just make her bring them home so you can intergoratte them :)

EDIT: Ooooooh, I just had an idea! If she still loves the sport and needs an activity to keep her away from boys [ ;) ], maybe she could coach at the gym!

I just want her to find something else to keep her busy other than BOYS!

this is my main reason why I pray my dd sticks with gym throughout high school! She's only in 6th right now so we have a long way to go! I have already made it known to her that if she ever decides to end gymnastics (and it is completely her decision) she will need to find another sport to replace it. I just think it is so important to keep them active and in a group of goal minded girls to keep life in perspective.

Kudos to your dd for making the decision to end her gymnastics on a good note on her own terms. I'm sure she will have many fond memories of her six years in the sport. And exciting times ahead! She can relax and have more free time to enjoy the last two years before college. And you will have so much more time to spend with her as well.

And thanks to you for contributing such a down-to-earth parent perspective to the boards. I've valued your opinion and feedback. Please continue to post and keep us updated on life after gymnastics. :)

EDIT: Ooooooh, I just had an idea! If she still loves the sport and needs an activity to keep her away from boys [ ;) ], maybe she could coach at the gym!

We have had several girls come back to coach! I'm sure the HC's love this - since the girls were taught within the gym, they should have a good concept of what the HC wants and how to teach it to others.

don't you hate when they do that? any chance it is stress related? my DD says this almost every spring, as soon as the teachers start talking about the EOG tests. they fall right about recital time & after a long meet season. But once therecital & tests are over she doesn't want to quit
anymore.

You know that I know how you feel. I have both of my girls finish with gym in the last year. Both for very different reasons, but the result is the same, no kids in the gym. ((HUGS)) to you both, it is not easy. See if she will give it a month to see how she feels when she is more settled with school. Do talk to the gym about the refund, even if she will give it a month,best to try to save the money.

If she stops, she will find new things to fill her life, mine have and we really have few choices here. In the end it wasn't as tough as I thought, I have had great support from a really balanced group of parents. Use your friends for support and hopefully DD and you will come out smiling.

We all know the gym journey is not forever, but we can all be grateful for the great things that gym has brought to our lives. We can also look back at some of the crap and remember that we survived.

Let us know how it goes. Who knows she might change her mind!

So sorry you're going through this, especially after paying for everything! But if she knows this is the best decision for her in the long run, then good for her and I'm sure she will find other avenues. Will she continue with HS gym? That would be a good place to display all of the skills she worked so hard to get but in a more low-key atmosphere surrounded by HS friends. From previous comments it sounds like that has been a good experience for her so far.
I left gymnastics in HS for many reasons and didn't turn to boys, but I was also not very socially astute... Just encourage her to find new paths to stay active and involved and I'm sure both of you will survive this! Best wishes!

Aw! but this day will come for everyone. even if you dont want it to. i hope she will enjoy her new social life and free time. hopefully she will be able to find some fun activites that she couldnt do while she was in gym. i have to congradulate you for realizing that it is your DDs sport and her decision to quit. and no making her go through the next season.

Good luck to her as she begins a new chapter away from gym! I still hope that you'll stick around and continue to post though. :)

Im so sorry that her gymnastics career is coming to an end. But glad that is wasnt because of a serious injury or negative feelings. Im sure she will find something else to put her heart and soul into. She will be a much stronger woman in the future for spending so much time in gymnastics. I truely believe they learn so many valuable lessons, that come in handy in life in general.
Please stick around, you have so much knowledge and information to still share. And we love you here. Keep in touch, and keep us updated as to how you, your Dd and family are doing

Good luck to your DD. Even though Bri started gymnastics back up completely on her own senior year, when she quit right before the start of sophomore year I had no idea she'd go back and I can sympathize with how you must feel. I never even thought I was that involved in her gymnastics outside the drive, but I realized how much I was. It was this weird, very detached surreal feeling, the kind you get when you finish a marathon. Part of it was the time and money and emotional investment, the other part was realizing something that had been a constant for the last 14 years of our life was over.

Regardless of your DD's path, best of luck to her with the college search (junior year is when it all picks up) and best of luck to her with having a great time in the last 2 years of high school. Hopefully she'll be able to use those skills she gained in gym positively throughout her life, I know I've posted a few times with how gym helped Bri for the better and it had nothing to do with medals or levels or scores or tricks. If your DD does this, then consider your money and time and effort and emotions very, very well spent!

And to echo what others have said, please continue to post here, your grounded and experienced advice is SO appreciated!

:( But you know what? don't think of it as an ending...think of it as a new beginning...I'm sure she will find something exciting to do. And stick around here and let us know how it all works out!!

Sorry to hear this, but you know, the gym journey does eventually come to an end at some point :(. I am sure she will find tons of other activities to keep her busy. If your dd is anything like mine she will probably have so many activities lined up that she wants to get involved in! Good luck and keep us posted!!! Hearing stories of the "after-gym life" give us hope of what to expect down the road for our own gymmies!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back