WAG The future of leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipandfly

Gymnast
Something I've always been really curious about is what leotards, especially competition leos, will look like in the future. It is shocking how much leotards have changed in the past few decades (ex: compare 1980s olympic team leos to nowadays). I though it would be fun to try and predict how leotards will look in around 20 years. Do you think leos will literally change color? Or just have even more crystals if that's even possible?

Well...I don't think they can cut them any higher...so my guess is they switch to a two piece version or start reverting to more coverage, maybe a unitard sort of thing?

My guess is that sleeves will get shorter and bottoms will be much less high cut -maybe almost like the shorts some girls wear over the leotards for practice length. So not super-long but a bit more coverage -easier to hide underwear :)

the big advances at the moment are sublimation printing and crystal technology.

Szawarski have made a new type of crystal that is 50% lighter than standard glass, allowing the 5,000 odd crystals that were on the US team leos to be worn without weighing the gymnasts down.

Sublimation printing means that any design can be printed directly to the leotard, in runs of 1 so individualisation is possible.

I don't think that leos will get any lower in the leg, unfortunately, coaches like the long lines a high cut gives.

the big advances at the moment are sublimation printing and crystal technology.

Szawarski have made a new type of crystal that is 50% lighter than standard glass, allowing the 5,000 odd crystals that were on the US team leos to be worn without weighing the gymnasts down.

Sublimation printing means that any design can be printed directly to the leotard, in runs of 1 so individualisation is possible.

I don't think that leos will get any lower in the leg, unfortunately, coaches like the long lines a high cut gives.
Maybe the leg cut will get more modest, but with mesh below the current legline, lol.
That way, coaches still get the high leg line, but there is a hint of modesty. :)

As a mum I would like that but I fear the coaches at the highest level are not concerned with modesty. There is a lot more mesh about too.

I wish leotard designers/manufacturers would recognise that you can cut a leotard high at the hip, giving long lines, and have it cover the rear at the same time. High cut hip line? Generally pretty modest. High cut back that's too small? That's what causes the horrible wedgies and half the cheeks exposed.

Anyway, at the current rate I fully expect all gymnasts to be competing in spangled, holographic bikinis within ten years.

for us ( and Ultimately everyone) competition attire is governed by FIG rules, so from the 2017 COP

Competition Attire
a) They must wear a correct sportive non transparent leotard or unitard (one piece leotard with full length legs-hip to ankle), which must be ofelegant design. She may wear complete leg coverings of the same color as that of the leotard;
under or on top of the leotard.
b) The neckline of the front and back of the leotard/unitard must beproper, that is no further than half of the sternum and no further than the lower line of the shoulder blades. Leotards/unitards may be with or without sleeves; shoulder strap width must be minimum 2 cm.
c) The leg cut of the leotard may not extend beyond the hip bone(maximum). The leotard leg length cannot exceed the horizontal line around the leg, delineated by no more than 2 cm below the base of the buttocks.

for us ( and Ultimately everyone) competition attire is governed by FIG rules, so from the 2017 COP

but they never deduct for the hip bone being exposed. So many of them are. If they did leotards would get more modest pretty quick. I hate the way they cut leotards . Far too narrow at the front and back and way too high at the hip. If Athletes tried to wear a similar cut for sprinting or hurdles or whatever I bet there would be an uproar.

I wish leotard designers/manufacturers would recognise that you can cut a leotard high at the hip, giving long lines, and have it cover the rear at the same time. High cut hip line? Generally pretty modest. High cut back that's too small? That's what causes the horrible wedgies and half the cheeks exposed.

Anyway, at the current rate I fully expect all gymnasts to be competing in spangled, holographic bikinis within ten years.
Yes, they most definitely can make high cut leotards that properly cover your bum at the same time! I've found that the suits I now wear for competitive swimming are high cut at the hips but offer proper butt coverage most of the time. When I put on my gymnastics leotards now, I'm like "wow my hips are so nicely covered!" compared to the really high cut swimsuits. Of course, there are those people who wear suits in a size too small that experience butt coverage problems. Maybe that's part of the problem in gymnastics too, girls wearing leotards that are too small. Hopefully leotards will change in a positive way going into the future.

Yes, they most definitely can make high cut leotards that properly cover your bum at the same time! I've found that the suits I now wear for competitive swimming are high cut at the hips but offer proper butt coverage most of the time. When I put on my gymnastics leotards now, I'm like "wow my hips are so nicely covered!" compared to the really high cut swimsuits. Of course, there are those people who wear suits in a size too small that experience butt coverage problems. Maybe that's part of the problem in gymnastics too, girls wearing leotards that are too small. Hopefully leotards will change in a positive way going into the future.

I often think it is coaches who encourage a too small leotard. And also a long lean body needs a different cut from a short stocky body. When the suits are custom made like for the olympics there is no excuse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back