WAG The future of leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think we'll continue to see more mesh cutouts coupled with increasingly intricate, 'feminine' prints with the sublimation technology offering limitless design choices and personal expression with photographic-level detail possible. People are going to push the creative limits with that new tool...

Then after that trend gets crazy and visually saturated, we'll swing back to more simple, geometric styles as athletes look to 'stand out' by going more simple.

I saw this on instagram and thought NO

https://www.pinkleisurewear.co.uk/product/new-age-gb-leotard/[/QUOTE]

That is something I would never EVER wear to practice. I think it should either be a leotard or sports bra set, not both, for crying out loud.
I can just imagine... "oops we ran out of fabric, ooh we don't need any material right here"
I'm sorry, just a confused gymnast who would like to what the designers were thinking on this?

In my dd gym two piece leotards are banned for squad girls as coaches say they are not safe to spot they also don't like leotards with too many crystals for practice either something to do with not liking them for spotting reasons

Maybe they would be one-sleeved? Or maybe that is not allowed.
Like so: (ugh that is so ugly)
img-thing

Or maybe they would go rhythmic style with some parts mesh and some not:
7a344d92f551f4cae1bcc37c5bcc5e44.jpg

I could also see unitards so bent legs are less noticeable (obviously in black, not a neon colour)
-5-piece-lot-Wholesale-Girls-Long-Sleeve-Unitards-Footless-Spandex-Dance-Unitard-font-b-Costume.jpg

Maybe they would have mesh cutouts?
9c2b058cf3d520a3ec8288da2dee0536.jpg

The leotards might even go all the way to short sleeve!
4619398108.jpg

I feel like halter tops might also become a thing
3e55208bce5cf016c0000989fa649d87.jpg

2546-060.jpg

Or high neck leotards
womens-black-leotard-with-sleaves.jpg

42459c_1747c7214450438e947e626270ddde9e.png_256

They might get creative with cutouts (this is almost as bad as the bikini leo)
clp3567-1.jpg

And I agree with the holographic fabric
giphy.gif

And here are the new national team leos!
swbiqh.jpg

JMO but nearly none of the Leo's should be worn by little gymnasts. Far to grown up.

Lol on those 'Nat'l team leos'. I can definitely see the cutouts, with or without mesh, happening. But I agree many are not suitable for younger (as in most!) gymmies. Although that often doesn't seem to make a difference....

I'm amazed with how much more bling the leotards have now over even just a few years ago. DD is on the 4th comp leo since she joined this team 6 years ago and the first one had not a single rhinestone on it. Some teams probably had rhinestones, but I don't remember thinking that the bling-less leo looked out-of-place at competitions. Each successive leo has had more and more rhinestones. I really thought the most recent one might be over-the-top, but at the first meet of the season, we weren't even the bling-iest! The other new thing seems to be the colors that fade from one color into another. Our new ones do that and there was another team at the first meet with that same affect.

I'm amazed with how much more bling the leotards have now over even just a few years ago. DD is on the 4th comp leo since she joined this team 6 years ago and the first one had not a single rhinestone on it. Some teams probably had rhinestones, but I don't remember thinking that the bling-less leo looked out-of-place at competitions. Each successive leo has had more and more rhinestones. I really thought the most recent one might be over-the-top, but at the first meet of the season, we weren't even the bling-iest! The other new thing seems to be the colors that fade from one color into another. Our new ones do that and there was another team at the first meet with that same affect.
Its the new sublimated technology. We have seen a couple like that.
Our first team Leo had no bling. The next one had a design, but no bling. The third one had sequins instead of rhinestones. The current one has just one line of rhinestones.
Teams we face have various levels of bling and technology. One team has the same Leo for all levels, but optionals get more bling.

I have a concern with the sublimated technology. I have definitely seen some nicely used applications of the technology, but also have seem many poorly done ones. If you are not careful, the design can actually be unfaltering on the girls. Some make completely fit girls look like their stomach stick out or they have fat rolls. it is really off honestly. The leotard should enhance the gymnast not detract from her.

My issue with the sublimated leos is that, at least for sublimated non-mystique practice leos, the fabric pills quite easily. DD loves them as she thinks they're cute without being "cutesy," and many are super comfy, but it drives me batty. Maybe that'll get better with time?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back