Parents The Heat!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

With this heat and humidity, even starting early isn't helping much. It was 82+ at 7:30 am when my daughter walked into her un airconditioned gym. Thankfully, they are taking breaks for water and to cool down as much as possible.

My daughter's gym does not have AC either. We are located in VA and in the 90's right now with the humidity not helping at all. Some things I do with my 11 yr old DD are:

1) Bought her the Magic Cool cooling cloth. She says it works, now beware, don't expect a miracle, she says it helps though! I bought it for $10 2 weeks ago. She wraps it around her neck during light conditioning, stretching, and beam. She also takes an ice pack and lays the cloth on top of that when she is not using it so that it stays even cooler throughout the 4.5 hr practice.

Magic Cool Cooling Towel in Glacier Berry-CCGB at The Home Depot

2) Original Gatorade or Powerade, not the ION4. I read an article that said those are best options with electrolytes. The other light options, etc are not as good.

3) Frozen water bottle apart from cold water bottle. I reminder her she should be drinking water/gatorade throughout the practice, she's gotten a lot better.

4) snacks - cold watermelon or strawberries

5) spray bottle with ice cold water. I hear the spray bottles with the fans work too, but really she rather spray her face and stand in front of the HUGE industrial sized fan they have in her gym.

6) When it gets really bad, she takes a break, which I tell her not to feel bad to do, and runs cold water on top of her head to cool off. We've only done this once, but it really did help.

I hope this helps, new to Chalkbucket! :)

We live where it is really warm in the summer and DD's gym only has swamp coolers. I sent her with frozen watermelon, frozen grapes or frozen blueberries. Sometimes even frozen mango. I pack it in an insulated lunch bag with ice packs.

They are used to it, so I think that helps, but they have lots of fans and they always have squirt bottles near them. They stand in front of the fans and squirt each other.

She drinks lots of water, too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to Chalkbucket! My DD endured many hot summers in VA in a gym without AC -- make sure your DD is following all your great advice. Those high humidity/temp days are nothing to joke about! I love not having to worry about heat stroke at the new gym.

I had seen this cloth and wondered if it worked! I think we will get one!

My daughter's gym does not have AC either. We are located in VA and in the 90's right now with the humidity not helping at all. Some things I do with my 11 yr old DD are:

1) Bought her the Magic Cool cooling cloth. She says it works, now beware, don't expect a miracle, she says it helps though! I bought it for $10 2 weeks ago. She wraps it around her neck during light conditioning, stretching, and beam. She also takes an ice pack and lays the cloth on top of that when she is not using it so that it stays even cooler throughout the 4.5 hr practice.

Magic Cool Cooling Towel in Glacier Berry-CCGB at The Home Depot

2) Original Gatorade or Powerade, not the ION4. I read an article that said those are best options with electrolytes. The other light options, etc are not as good.

3) Frozen water bottle apart from cold water bottle. I reminder her she should be drinking water/gatorade throughout the practice, she's gotten a lot better.

4) snacks - cold watermelon or strawberries

5) spray bottle with ice cold water. I hear the spray bottles with the fans work too, but really she rather spray her face and stand in front of the HUGE industrial sized fan they have in her gym.

6) When it gets really bad, she takes a break, which I tell her not to feel bad to do, and runs cold water on top of her head to cool off. We've only done this once, but it really did help.

I saw those cloths in CVS the other day- I think I will get one two! Our gym has AC, but I feel like walking outside after practice has been a shock to my poor dd's sweaty little body!!

Most of the girls on DDs team have those water bottled that spray, and they love them!! I actually found one at Target the other day that was significantly cheaper- $6 compared to the $13 we spent on the other!!

Our gym doesn't have AC either. It has been 90-100 most days in the afternoon. THe boys do the afternoon because they don't have to fight for equipment then :) D likes to take gatorade, although I get frustrated trying to find ones without food dyes (really, WHY do they need to be neon colored???) I might have to try one of these recipes. D is prone to migraines so we just try to keep him really hydrated during the heat.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back