This week I accomplished...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I injured my shoulder a little over a year ago, and for almost an entire year it didn't get the slightest bit better. Now, all of a sudden, it's completely stopped hurting, so I can finally train rings again. In the last couple days I've relearned my giant and my double back, as well as a new skill called a Chechi.

This week I did my layout half on floor at two different practices (good..meaning it wasn't just a 'good day') which is a new skill for me to have on the regular floor. I did them a couple of years ago, but they were very inconsistent. I have twisting issues.

Did just one double pike on tumble trak into the pit. For some reason I double pike better than double tuck. Those still freak me out. I am always afraid I will hit my head on the edge of the tumbletrak.

Also got my undergrip swing into front uprise. I need help w/ the cast, but from there its by myself. I also threw some double tuck flyaways into the pit, and they were fun but scary. I have a history of either flinging them out too far from the bar or pulling them in too much, so most of the ones I have done in the past were with a spotting belt, but I don't have access to that anymore. It was a huge fear breakthru for me to throw it. I did four of them in a row, hopefully I will start to learn more of where I am in the air, and not just let go and pray :)

I am just trying to get new skills for now, no meets for awhile.

Last edited:
Katy,
Thats awesome, it makes such a difference to have the gym be accomodating and actually encouraging of your progress and taking you seriously as an adult. Good luck with it all!

Kylie, good for you that you are still working out while you are recovering. You really can make great strides on bars which is so nice to at least have that while you come back on the leg events. What is a hot dog beam?

I injured my shoulder a little over a year ago, and for almost an entire year it didn't get the slightest bit better. Now, all of a sudden, it's completely stopped hurting, so I can finally train rings again. In the last couple days I've relearned my giant and my double back, as well as a new skill called a Chechi.

You must be so psyched. Shoulder injuries can be such an annoyance. What is a chechi?

You must be so psyched. Shoulder injuries can be such an annoyance. What is a chechi?

[youtube]F5e3GRlhrdg[/youtube]

It's a front uprise to forward roll. Both of which are relatively easy A-skills, but for some reason when you connect them, it counts as a B. Dunno why, but I won't complain.

Last edited:
I went to my new gym today as I hated my previous one (the other boys laughed at us!:()

The coach is Dutch and she's really really friendly, nice, patient and supportive. :) I had tons of fun. We first did some warm ups. Then we did forward rolls (which I could do but I must still remember to keep my chin to my chest!), handstands (which I was helped on, previously I wasn't), cartwheels (I was shown a new way to do it and it works so much better now). Then we got onto the tramp and tried tuck somersaults. As I was a beginner, they used those blocks for me ^_^. In the end, we got to bars where the coach taught us a glide swing. I'm not sure if it's a glide swing. We basically 'dropped' off from the jumping board with our hands on the low bar and in a slight pike position, swung forward till our bodies were straight out and swung back. Afterwards, I did a few pullovers.

I totally loved this session as opposed to my previous gym. The coach said that my upper body was relatively strong and I should be able to do pullovers by myself in around two weeks time. Can't wait!! She was also surprised at the rate I could get myself into a handstand. The first couple of times I did it there wasn't too good but it got ok after awhile. :) OVerall, I think this was the best gym session I've been to so far. I've just got a question. We were talking about grips just now and one of them said that they've been waiting for the boss of the gym to bring the grips in for ages now and were thinking of buying it themselves. One classmate gave us two websites. AMCO Australia and Gymnastics Supplies WA. I am only a beginner gymnast and the only things I do on bars right now are the swing thing (which I think it's a glide swing), a pullover and I've tried tap swings on the high bar before. What kind of grips should I get for myself? And do I need a wrist guard? Thanks!! :D

I've just got a question. We were talking about grips just now and one of them said that they've been waiting for the boss of the gym to bring the grips in for ages now and were thinking of buying it themselves. One classmate gave us two websites. AMCO Australia and Gymnastics Supplies WA. I am only a beginner gymnast and the only things I do on bars right now are the swing thing (which I think it's a glide swing), a pullover and I've tried tap swings on the high bar before. What kind of grips should I get for myself? And do I need a wrist guard? Thanks!! :D

hey andromeda,
i'm no expert, but my personal opinion is don't bother getting grips at this point. i got them and didn't like them, and for the level of things i was doing (similar to yours) it didn't help me to have them, or prevent me from getting rips. i like feeling the bar, it makes me feel like i have more control. you don't NEED grips to do bars, although lots of people like them. if you want them, i can't advise you on what kind to get, but i'm pretty sure you have to have wrist guards or it will really hurt your wrists...

i got through another adult class tonight... i still can't do a whole lot, but i was able to do a couple of side aerials, and some backward rolls down a wedge mat. i wish i could work on handsprings, but it will probably be awhile before i can do stuff like that. right now i'm happy i can do rolls at least... maybe soon i can start working on front and back tucks.

Hi dannolynn, thanks very much. Yes, I do find that my wrists are slightly sore after bars or handstands. What kind of wrist guards should I get though?

Hi dannolynn, thanks very much. Yes, I do find that my wrists are slightly sore after bars or handstands. What kind of wrist guards should I get though?

oops! i think i may have misunderstood your question!! i thought you meant wrist bands, to put under grips. :) but maybe you mean wrist guards like what people wear for tumbling and stuff?? if that's the kind of wrist guards you mean, and not the cloth bands that you put under your grips, then i really can't advise you, because i've never used wrist guards. :/ if your wrists are sore after handstands, is it because you didn't stretch them enough? if i take a break from gym and haven't done handstands in awhile it takes a couple of classes and stretching my wrists to get them used to it and then they stop hurting. what does your coach think you should get?

sorry i wasn't more help, and that i misread your post!!

I've just got a question. We were talking about grips just now and one of them said that they've been waiting for the boss of the gym to bring the grips in for ages now and were thinking of buying it themselves. One classmate gave us two websites. AMCO Australia and Gymnastics Supplies WA. I am only a beginner gymnast and the only things I do on bars right now are the swing thing (which I think it's a glide swing), a pullover and I've tried tap swings on the high bar before. What kind of grips should I get for myself? And do I need a wrist guard? Thanks!! :D

If you want grips, palm grips would probably be great for what you are doing. I loved my palm grips, and the only reason I even started using dowel grips was because they were given to me to try:rolleyes: But for the stuff you are doing, palm grips would be great if you wanted some. That is just my opinion though. Ten-o has palm grips, as does GK elite, and come to think of it, so does alpha factor. But you can just google them if you want. And you would want wrist bands too. You mentioned sore wrists, it seems the most used wrist guards(when you are tumbling or vaulting) are Tiger Paws brand. Never used them myself, so I can't offer an opinion. Your wrists are probably going to be sore until you strengthen them up anyway

This week was a good practice, minus trying to fall on my head trying to do kick overs, but I think my FHS is coming along nicely now, still fall on my butt, but at least my feet are hitting the ground first. And if I had remembered to STAND, I would have stuck a couple of front tucks last night, one on the TT and one into the resi pit. But I seem to forget to straighten my legs out so I can land it lol!

I thought of palm grips too because when I went to the two websites I saw, the dowel grips are quite expensive compared to the palm grips. My wrists aren't sore at all this week actually. It was only when I was my previous gym that my wrists hurt slightly. How far will palm grips take me?

i got through another adult class tonight... i still can't do a whole lot, but i was able to do a couple of side aerials, and some backward rolls down a wedge mat. i wish i could work on handsprings, but it will probably be awhile before i can do stuff like that. right now i'm happy i can do rolls at least... maybe soon i can start working on front and back tucks.

Cool, yeah if you can handle the roll shape I would think at least on tramp or tumble trak you could handle flips. You can do turns and stuff too right?

yeah. landing on the tramp and tumble trak, even doing simple jumps is kinda tricky... i've felt some pain doing jumps, because the bounciness makes it really hard to keep my abs tight and my back in neutral. so i wouldn't attempt anything unless it was landing on the resi. but, realistically i won't be trying those quite yet. i can do turns, though! leaps and jumps are alright, but they're not fully extended, because i'm still trying to keep my core tight.

yeah, i'm already in physical therapy and all my exercises are core exercises. i'm in no way trying to recover from this injury by myself! i only do stuff at the gym if my therapist has said it's ok :)

Usually palm grips are worn until around level 5, and then the person switches to dowel grips. So up to like kips and tap swings. However, some people never use grips even at the elite level, its just that once you start w/ a palm grip, normally you will never again be a non-grip person. I have never seen commercial palm grips used at the elite level, although sometimes gymnasts at the elite level use 'grips' made out of sports tape.

I thought of palm grips too because when I went to the two websites I saw, the dowel grips are quite expensive compared to the palm grips. My wrists aren't sore at all this week actually. It was only when I was my previous gym that my wrists hurt slightly. How far will palm grips take me?

monday was a good day on bars. really working on a routine that will be ready for L8 if i decide to do that instead of modified optionals.
vaulted - just incase someone was wondering...yes it is possible to hit your derriere on the vault table. not only once, but twice! i didn't learn from the first and the second time was so hard that it sling shot me to my face...it was swell. the vault was really high and i hadn't vaulted in forever.
the tramp and tumbling is going very well. i'm really improving my form and height.

I have to say this week has been the best one yet for me! I got moved up to level 7 on trampoline (the highest level you can start competing at) It is what I really wanted! It was funny too because my coach told me I could move up if I could show her a clean level 6 routine. I was nervous and to make it worse everone in the gym came to watch, I focused and went, did the best level 6 routine I had ever done! And my coach yells out "way to go, level 7!" And to put the icing on my cake, I can only go once a week right now because that is all I can afford and I can barely afford it, I asked if I could help out in exchange for classes and she said yes, so long as I think I can handle pre-schoolers! So if you have kids ages 3-5 tips would be awesome! That will really lift a huge burden off me if I can do it and get my classes for free! I know these "acomplishments" might not sound like much, but for me they are terrific! Hope y'all did well this week too!

Aerialriver

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back