Parents Those who travel far to their gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How far do you drive if you drive home? Ours is 1 hour and 6 minutes. Seems crazy to drive back home but we’re in a low hour program. Only 3:15 practices.

Walks (made some new friends with other parents in same situation), work out at gym, many hours of working online at library and sometimes coffee shops,, Tuesday night $5 moviies, grocery shopping. Can you carpool once or twice a week with someone who lives part way? On their nights you could bring her to their house and pick them up there... so although it’s not a true carpool, a few nights it’s more manageable to go back home.

I drove between 1.5 and 2 hours each way, 6 days a week for 9 months- that was apparently my limit and breaking point. She practiced 4-4.5 hours at a time, but with that commute I still had to stay out there. It was also kinda in the middle of nowhere and I couldn’t afford to spend money while I waited, including on a gym membership. Parents also weren’t allowed to watch/stay in the building, so my options were limited. On days when the library was open during practice I brought my younger daughter and did school there (we homeschool). On days the library wasn’t available I would walk around outside, take a nap, read in my car, call my mom, or do research on various things. It was admittedly a miserable 9 months for me and my younger daughter, which is why I made her quit.

Our house will be 50-60 minutes from the gym, depending on traffic. Practice is 4 hours and 10 minutes, 3 days a week, and 3.5 hours the last day. 2 of those days I will drop her off, take my boys to THEIR gym, then return to her gym. So that will decrease the amount of time I have to fill. One day my husband will take her and I will pick her up after work. But then there is the last day.....I will have to stay around the area, unless my husband has errands that will keep him out until close to the end of her practice.

I have looked into a fitness class, and will probably try something once we settle in a bit. As well as continuing to check schoolwork, meal plan, etc. There is a library very close by, so that is an option. Tons of stores, but that =spending money. I have been known in the past to take a cooler with ice packs and get the weekly shopping done during practice. Although that will result in having to put everything away at 9:30 at night....hmmmm.....

Any other ideas are welcome!!

Our house will be 50-60 minutes from the gym, depending on traffic. Practice is 4 hours and 10 minutes, 3 days a week, and 3.5 hours the last day. 2 of those days I will drop her off, take my boys to THEIR gym, then return to her gym. So that will decrease the amount of time I have to fill. One day my husband will take her and I will pick her up after work. But then there is the last day.....I will have to stay around the area, unless my husband has errands that will keep him out until close to the end of her practice.

I have looked into a fitness class, and will probably try something once we settle in a bit. As well as continuing to check schoolwork, meal plan, etc. There is a library very close by, so that is an option. Tons of stores, but that =spending money. I have been known in the past to take a cooler with ice packs and get the weekly shopping done during practice. Although that will result in having to put everything away at 9:30 at night....hmmmm.....

Any other ideas are welcome!!

Take an online class? Volunteer? If you have any skills what about getting a job doing some tutoring? Freelance transcribing?

I drove between 1.5 and 2 hours each way, 6 days a week for 9 months- that was apparently my limit and breaking point. She practiced 4-4.5 hours at a time, but with that commute I still had to stay out there. It was also kinda in the middle of nowhere and I couldn’t afford to spend money while I waited, including on a gym membership. Parents also weren’t allowed to watch/stay in the building, so my options were limited. On days when the library was open during practice I brought my younger daughter and did school there (we homeschool). On days the library wasn’t available I would walk around outside, take a nap, read in my car, call my mom, or do research on various things. It was admittedly a miserable 9 months for me and my younger daughter, which is why I made her quit.

Wow! That schedule would have been a big "no" for me, too. I'm impressed you lasted 9 months.

We live an hour and a half away from our gym, my wife usually works from one of the office spaces in the gym, since my daughter is at practice from 7:30-6:30. She also does all the grocery shopping before they come back home.

We live an hour and a half away from our gym, my wife usually works from one of the office spaces in the gym, since my daughter is at practice from 7:30-6:30. She also does all the grocery shopping before they come back home.

How many days does she go? Does the 7:30-6:30 schedule account for the 3 hour commute or is that in addition to the 11 hours at the gym each day? That's quite a commitment.

I feel you! My dd goes to a gym just a little under an hour away. She’s only doing 2hr practices twice a week, so going home is not an option. I used to go to target to browse, but my bank account didn’t appreciate the habit ;) now I usually watch Hulu on my phone or read a book, but sometimes I just catch up on emails. Also, sometimes I just watch my daughter, she likes to sign “I love you” to me if she catches me watching...its my favorite :)

There were specific stores/errands I ran while DD was at gym. I didn't do those any other time other than when she was there so I could use my time while waiting for practicing doing that. I also would wash/vacuum/clean out the car, organize things on my computer, and volunteer at the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back