WAG Thoughts on the new levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
Now that the first season with the new levels/skills is just about over, I was wondering what people think. What did you notice with the new compulsory routines? Harder, easier, tough judging, went well ect. In the optionals did the new level 6 help or hinder? What did you see at meets? Did you see lots of upgrades in l7-8 or not much different?

I haven't seen any compulsory meets this year so I can't comment on those but I have notice that L6 was a good idea and was used in a variety of ways around here. In L7 there was a wide range of skills at the meets. Everything from barely L7 to pretty much L7 stuff. I haven't seen too many higher level optionals but it doesn't seem to be a whole lot of C skills. A few double backs on bars and that is about it.

What have you seen?

The judging on compulsory is tougher because they have more "stupid" stuff they have to do on beam and floor that they get deducted for... but the L4-L5 choreography differences have been minimized, so it is easier to learn the routines for L5 once a gymnast gets the skills.

In Optionals, L6 has been a success in our area. I really haven't seen much difference in L7 compared to last year. We don't see a LOT of L8+ but I haven't seen much change there either.

I have nothing to compare this season to, as it's our first. One of our coaches mentioned tougher scoring, but I really have no idea.

Levels 4 and 5 didn't have "tougher scoring" with exception of level 5 bars, IMO. And I don't mean that the judges over-deducted. I think that were just holding the girls to standards outlined in the requirements - no giveaways. I saw a little level 6 and 7 and saw a wide variety of skills being performed, everything from exactly what the level 5s are doing to almost what the level 7s are doing. I think the scoring seemed fair, meaning accurate for what the code required.

I didn't get the chance to see a whole of level 8 this year.

I love the new L6. I think it is a fun level that really let's the girls move at a speed that is right for them in terms of compulsories. I agree that there was everything from simple cartwheels on the beam up to BHS in some sort of series. Some giants, but mostly not though almost everyone did a flyaway. Mostly BLOs on floor but fewer FLOs.

I just can't say enough about how cool L6 is.

Maybe it's because we are in optionals this year but the new music doesn't bother me so much. I kinda like the L5 especially....

Interesting thread! The biggest difference I noticed was that floor scoring seemed tougher because of all the dance. I say this only because, of the two score inquiries I put out this season (Level 4), both times they were returned with deductions on text errors, feet not being turned out, and rhythm. They are being a lot more strict with that.

Yes, the dance in L4 is much faster and trickier than the old L5 was. When I first saw the floor routine I thought, no way. I was quite surprised that DD picked it up as quickly as she did. The scoring seemed to be quite low at the beginning of the season, I'm guessing, like Palm Tree said, more opportunity for errors. I heard that all over here though. I guess it's a good thing that L4 and L5 are so similar, but as a spectator I'd rather see completely different routines.

Our coaches didn't put any kids in level 6, bc they didn't know what to expect. In hindsight, I think they would have done so. It looks like level 5 out here in AZ is getting tough, tough scoring, but the 6's are doing pretty well. We may be breezing through level 5 now instead of 6., as a gym.

We are really liking the new level 6. DD did one meet at 7 and just wasn't at the point in her skills where she could be competitive. It would have been mightily discouraging for her if she had to stay there for a whole season, and she would have had to repeat it anyway. L6 is perfect for her, and she is really enjoying it.

Really loving the dance on floor and beam. Glad the front hip circle is gone. I kind of miss the dive roll, but I don't think the girls do. (-: We have been finding the scoring ranging from a little tough to fair, in comparison to previous years. The music. I just can't get into the music. The synthesized keyboard music doesn't inspire, I think.

we are loving new level six. The scoring in general has been tough but fair for the most part although hardly consistent. You can tell though that different judges feel differently about it. Some are super strict like "you think your an optional, all right, you better bring it". And some are a little more relaxed and treating it as the introductory level it is. Scoring has been all over the place, you really never know what your going to get, but I am sure that will level out as the years pass.

I will say that floor really makes no sense to me. On the other events it seems pretty obvious where the deductions are coming from and where DD needs to improve but optional floor has me completely stumped.

there is a variety of skills and you can tell different gyms are using it differently. But not too much crazy stuff. I think I have only seen a couple of giants and a few BHS on beam but not many. I saw my first cartwheel only routine and my first roundoff only dismount on beam last weekend. The girls I have seen doing a big skill on one event usually had a weakness somewhere else, something that would keep her from seven.

I think six is a great addition as it give the girls that are almost ready for seven but better than five time to train properly for optionals without the pressure of barely being ready for seven or killing themselves in five for no reason.

Although the season has been trying and not filled with loads of podium success which has been a little frustrating, I feel like it has been great for my daughter. She is freed up to excel in the gym where it counts and that is what really matters.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any real difference between L7 last year and L7 this year, except that maybe the median age for a L7 gymnast has nudged up slightly? Just very happy that for my girl, the second year at L7 is proving to have been the right choice!

I only know Level 3 (this year)/Level 4 (both years). The skills for the levels are the same but the routines are more difficult because of the added dance moves. So the scores are lower for beam and floor because there is more to take off from. Overall the scores seem to be a bit lower (except for vault).

I kind of miss the dive roll
All I could think was neck injury when I would watch the routines.

As far as level 7, routines have been fairly consistent, with not a large variation in skills. Bars is mostly kip, cast, clear hip, squat on, cast, giant (one or two), flyaway. Very few high bar clear hips. Most clear hips are not to handstand, but some are. Rare to see one on the high bar. Floor is mostly a layout and a FHS front tuck or pike. Some front layouts (DD is usually the only one I see do a front layout), and a few halfs and fulls, but not many. Beam is mostly back walkover backhandspring, though some do handstand or tick tock into the BHS. Dismounts are mostly back tuck or front tuck. Leaps vary a bit, but not too much.

I suppose there aren't that many skills for them to choose from at this point, so the lack of variation shouldn't be surprising.

As far as level 7, routines have been fairly consistent, with not a large variation in skills. Bars is mostly kip, cast, clear hip, squat on, cast, giant (one or two), flyaway. Very few high bar clear hips. Most clear hips are not to handstand, but some are. Rare to see one on the high bar.
Both of our L7 do high bar clear hips... and so do our L6 (for the L6, it prevents the "tap" of the feet that drives me CRAZY!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back