Parents Thoughts on this? 8th grader committing to UCLA??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have said it before and I will say it again - this is only as good as the paper its written on. Oh wait, its a verbal - nothing is a done deal until there is paper. This young lady hasn't even taken a single college admission test and so no one knows whether or not she can even academically qualify for admission to UCLA. Oh, and she is an 8th grader - that means that she has to survive high-level JO gymnastics for the next 4 years without injury or burn-out. I wish her all the best.

I have said it before and I will say it again - this is only as good as the paper its written on. Oh wait, its a verbal - nothing is a done deal until there is paper. This young lady hasn't even taken a single college admission test and so no one knows whether or not she can even academically qualify for admission to UCLA. Oh, and she is an 8th grader - that means that she has to survive high-level JO gymnastics for the next 4 years without injury or burn-out. I wish her all the best.
I've always wondered what a "verbal commitment" was...
...but I don't really understand the point of verbally committing, especially this young. I guess it seems super cool to have a university like ucla express interest in you especially do young, but is their really any reason beyond that?

I wouldn't assume an 8th grader hasn't taken a college admissions test yet. My dd is in 7th and she took the SAT this year. She did well enough to gain admission to many large 4-yr universities too. I know that isn't as common, but there are many programs now that allow middle school students to take either the SAT or ACT early.

That being said -- 8th grade is a very early commit. I find it curious and somewhat troubling. I do wonder if we'll see a rash of early commits due to the pending rule change.

I wouldn't assume an 8th grader hasn't taken a college admissions test yet. My dd is in 7th and she took the SAT this year. She did well enough to gain admission to many large 4-yr universities too. I know that isn't as common, but there are many programs now that allow middle school students to take either the SAT or ACT early.

That being said -- 8th grade is a very early commit. I find it curious and somewhat troubling. I do wonder if we'll see a rash of early commits due to the pending rule change.
Yes, has become very common in my area too for 7th/8th/9th graders to take college admissions tests.

Holy baloney. I can't imagine being so young and committing to anything so many years in the future. Even verbally.

Is gymnastics the only sport that verbally commits to universities at such an early age? I don't really pay attention to any other sports.

I've always wondered what a "verbal commitment" was...
...but I don't really understand the point of verbally committing, especially this young. I guess it seems super cool to have a university like ucla express interest in you especially do young, but is their really any reason beyond that?
I would describe it as being kind of like getting engaged or giving someone a promise ring. There is no legal obligation for either side to follow through with getting married, but both parties are kind of agreeing to stop actively shopping around for another partner.

Holy baloney. I can't imagine being so young and committing to anything so many years in the future. Even verbally.

Is gymnastics the only sport that verbally commits to universities at such an early age? I don't really pay attention to any other sports.

I have heard that lacrosse does as well....I believe they are actually implementing new rules that forbid ANY contact before junior year..so going a step farther than gymnastics.

There was a girl that trained at DD's gym and then moved to an elite gym at level 6. She had a verbal commitment with a SEC school in 8th grade while still elite. Last I heard, she dropped down to level 10 a few seasons ago but she is still planning on attending the school she verbally committed to (due to start this fall).

Reactions: sce
Yes, has become very common in my area too for 7th/8th/9th graders to take college admissions tests.
Heck, I took the SAT in 7th grade way back in the 80s. We were in the cafeteria with everyone else. I had a group of HS juniors and seniors convinced that my school just produced really, really smart kids and that we were going to college in the fall (until my guidance counselor opened her big mouth and told them the truth :( … it was fun while it lasted … I was going to Ohio State, majoring in pre-med. I had one of my friends heading to Harvard, one to MIT, another to UCLA, and another to Stanford. I "didn't know" where the other 5 were going.)

I have heard that lacrosse does as well....I believe they are actually implementing new rules that forbid ANY contact before junior year..so going a step farther than gymnastics.
No gymnastics too..............

Heck, I took the SAT in 7th grade way back in the 80s. We were in the cafeteria with everyone else. I had a group of HS juniors and seniors convinced that my school just produced really, really smart kids and that we were going to college in the fall (until my guidance counselor opened her big mouth and told them the truth :( … it was fun while it lasted … I was going to Ohio State, majoring in pre-med. I had one of my friends heading to Harvard, one to MIT, another to UCLA, and another to Stanford. I "didn't know" where the other 5 were going.)

That's hysterical!! DS is in 7th and took his a few weeks ago, but I think he was too terrified to speak!

OK, I have a 8th grader and there is no way someone that age can really know where they want to go to school. Granted UCLA is a big school and you could likely major in anything so a degree from there will take her a long way and I am sure they will offer what she eventually decides to major in. BUT to make a decision for your future in 5 years when you are 14 years old is insane. I don't even know what I want to do in 5 years and I am in my 40s.

I am also disturbed by this because colleges and the way gymnastics is running in recent years means that good gymnasts that do not make level 10 until HS years don't even stand a chance in getting scholarship money. Heck we have good level 10s at our gym that have been level 10 since middle school and can't even get a scholarship offer as sophomores. Not that we are in this for a scholarship, but when scholarships are given out 3,4 even 5 years in advance there is no hope for anyone on a less rigirous training plan or a more normal level progression track.

OK, I have a 8th grader and there is no way someone that age can really know where they want to go to school. Granted UCLA is a big school and you could likely major in anything so a degree from there will take her a long way and I am sure they will offer what she eventually decides to major in. BUT to make a decision for your future in 5 years when you are 14 years old is insane. I don't even know what I want to do in 5 years and I am in my 40s.

I am also disturbed by this because colleges and the way gymnastics is running in recent years means that good gymnasts that do not make level 10 until HS years don't even stand a chance in getting scholarship money. Heck we have good level 10s at our gym that have been level 10 since middle school and can't even get a scholarship offer as sophomores. Not that we are in this for a scholarship, but when scholarships are given out 3,4 even 5 years in advance there is no hope for anyone on a less rigirous training plan or a more normal level progression track.

YES! This early recruiting is resulting in rigorous training to get girls ready for 10 by 8th grade and then the girls are burned out, injured or bodies just worn out by college. Meanwhile, you have other girls who have been paced and could peak late high school and be great in college but don't even have a chance to compete at college.

This but especially in bold.

Which circles back to athletics in general. If your kids are in sports, any sport in the hope of ride for college. Statistically you would do better to take what you are spending on the sport, put it in the bank and pay for college when the time comes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back