WAG Times of Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Becauseisaid

Proud Parent
There had been grumbling from some of the parents lately about how late practice runs. I'm wondering if we're that far out of line though.

L4 and L5 practice -
M: 5:00 - 8:30p
T: 5:30 - 8:30p
W: 5:00 - 8:30p
F: 5:00 - 8:30p

What hours are your practice?

I think that is really late, especially for level 4. For us, level 4 tends to be elementary ages kids and elementary school starts early. I would rather that age go no later than 8:00. Even with that, it can be late nights with getting home, eating and showering.

Those were the times when my dd was that level. Wasn't bad for us. She had dinner and homework before and then came home and got to bed.

Our level 4's have two choices:
3:00-6:00 m/w/th/f
or
5:10-8:10 m/w/th/f

The younger girls can do 3:00 (based on time school gets out). The middle schoolers will have to do the 5:10.

we have 2 level 4 groups. One of the geoups has a end time of 9pm. luckily it is only for 1 practice a week.

That's really late around here - we tend to be up early so bedtime is early too. Gym is done at 6.30 every evening except Fridays, when it goes until 7. Saturdays training ends around 1.30 maybe (DD's class ends at 12.30, so I'm not positive). The coaches want a life too! The HC, who is the main coach for DD's group, has 2 kids and likes to get home.

When DD was younger, her practice in compulsory was 4-7 3days a week then 4 days a week. At 10, she's there 5 days a week 4-8pm. I would have seriously had a problem with those times the OP posted when she was between 6 and 8 yrs old. Mainly because her bedtime then was 8:30 PM.

The problem cropping up is that the school district staggers the start times of all the schools. Some elementary schools start at 7:30, some at 8:30. Middle school tends to start around 7:30. So these kids are up early.

My argument has always been that I would rather my child have time after school to get her homework done rather than waiting until the very end of the day when she's exhausted. So I LIKE the 5:00 and 5:30 start times.

But I did wonder if we were in the minority.

We start practice at 3:45, I get out of school at 3:05 and it is a 50 minute ride to the gym from school, not counting all the school zones we hit on the way. So
I always end up getting there at 4. We end at 8
Every night. Personally I would rather have no time after school than a later practice. I would only get to go home maybe 30 minutes and I can't get any homework done in that time frame anymore. I'd rather be gone from my house 7am-8pm everyday then go home after school then go to the gym. That's just what I like tho

6-8:30 M,W,F is currently my 9 year old's schedule. It works for us to have time to come home from school and decompress. 30 minutes earlier would be ideal, though. My little boy is 5 and just started kindergarten. I don't like him getting home so late on her gym nights.

Our 7-8yo Level 4s go until 7:30, 3x a week. The older girls (though still in elementary school) go until 8:30.

My DD is more of an early riser, so I prefer that she get home earlier at night. That way she can get to bed at a 'decent' hour and still have time to get some homework done in the morning, if need be.

Ours always finished at 8h30. Except for the younger ones, who finish at 7h30. Evening trainings start at 5h30. It would be hard for a lot of parents to be on time if trainings would start earlier because of work. For some coaches, it wouldn't be possible because of school and work.

As a gymnast, I had time to go back home, change and eat before going to training. I would go to bed as soon as I would get home. In high school, I rarely did homework on these days. In elementary school, I usually was able to do some before training as it finished earlier.

I train 4-8 Tuesday, Thursday and Friday if I can commute there (1 1/2 hour drive each way requiring me to miss the 1/2 hour of school, and Fridays sometimes aren't possible because of a certain class). I train 11-3 on Sundays.

4-8 seems to be the norm around here, for all competitive ages. Lucky for me as I already arrive home between 9:30 and 10:00 each night, if it was any later I don't think I'd be able to do it!

Last year our L4 and up went from 5:00 to 8:30. We don't have the schedule for this year yet, but I expect it will be about the same.

We train 5:30 till 8:30 m/t/w/f my dd has done this since she was 6 it was hard as when she first started her normal bedtime was 7:30 we are lucky that in the uk we don't start school until 8:50 we get out of school at 3:10 and live so close to school are usually home for 3:29 so we do have a good 2 hours at home as we only live 5 mins from the gym but I would much rather have earlier start and finish times we only have 2 sheets of homework on a fri which she does in the car on the way home from school meaning it's less than 5 mins worth(for her) a week

They end at 8:15 each night here. Not super happy but what do I do? She wants it so she has to do it. It's going to be a long year.

Our typical practice times are 4:30 to 8:30. We have one group that comes 3:30 to 7:30 and a group that comes 5:30 to 9:30 but most do 4:30 to 8:30.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back