Parents To do L5 or not to do L5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Several years ago, my daughter and a few others, made the jump from lv 3 to lv 6. It was a very big transition but, in the long run, I'm grateful we did it. Dd is now training lv 9. After our group made the BIG jump, our Gym now only goes from lv 4 to lv 6. We don't compete lv 5 except for the test out. If your dd is physically AND mentally prepared, go for it! I'm not going to lie and say there weren't hiccups along the way, but I'm very glad my dd was pushed to optionals! Best of luck in your decision!

We are in region 7. While some girls skip L6, those that do have skills that are SOLID. Very rare. Maybe one or two at known gyms. Most girls compete L6. I know at our gym, some that have come from smaller gyms as already competed L7 repeat L7 because the mobility score is so low but the coaches want the perfection in skills and body form/shape. Just because a gym will skip level 6 or any other level it does NOT mean it's best for your child. Not being harsh, but unless they are scoring at least a 36 in compulsories they should not move up a level. Those skills build upon each other and set the foundation for optional skills. Most larger well known gyms in MD which is region 7 follow this rule... as do the gyms in Northern Va. so while level 6 is technically optional, most girls aren't ready to transition fully from L5 to optionals (L7+) and thus L6 is there to bridge that transition.
I am not super familiar with gyms in Maryland, but based on what I saw of teams at the L5 state meet, not a single team that was there follows a 36+ in compulsories to move up rule.
I used mymeetscores.com and looked at girls from each and every gym that was there - their L5 and in some cases, L6-L8. Some girls scored 36+ at each compulsory level, but there were plenty that didn't.
Your gym may TELL YOU that is the rule... And they may follow it for the most part, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

The future needs to be considered. Going to 6 is no big deal because it can be easier than 5. Going to 7 is a bigger deal. Unless the gymnast already has upgrades, competing the bare minimum in 7 is not going to lend itself to a very successful 8 in a year or 9 in 2 years.
This is the thinking many parents have. Then you have the parents whose girls already have the skills saying their child would be bored competing and training a whole L5 season. Ultimately it is the gyms decision but this is causing anxiety amongst parents and athletes.

To do L6 instead of 5 is a logical choice. But you do need to score out of 5. Both levels are essentially the same skill wise . I would do 6 over 5 if they were held in the same season. But where I live they are two different seasons so we do 5 then 7 two months later. I don't skip 5 only because the layoff of not competing would be too long . Are you going to miss anything in 5 by skipping to 6? Only if you just love that music. :)

This is the thinking many parents have. Then you have the parents whose girls already have the skills saying their child would be bored competing and training a whole L5 season. Ultimately it is the gyms decision but this is causing anxiety amongst parents and athletes.
Also need to consider that "having a skill" in isolation is absolutely not the same thing as being able to compete that skill in a routine, connected to other skills. The latter often takes quite a bit longer as skills become more difficult, so just keep that in mind as you try to estimate how close a gymnast is to being "ready" for a level.

But I'm with @coachp on the L5 vs L6 discussion -- L6 could be quite a good decision for many, but that often depends on the coaching and the strategy employed in routine construction and what skills are competed. How those skills map to the next few levels is important in the context of long term progression and success.

. Are you going to miss anything in 5 by skipping to 6? Only if you just love that music. :)

As a parent in the stands. 6 because you don't have to listen to that dang compulsory music. Although I actually liked 5 best.

Now that my kid is L6 and we are done with music. I'm off the what level train. I'm sure there are repeating levels in her future. I would prefer her to go to 7 though and do 2 seasons there. Even if she didn't score well the first season.

To do L6 instead of 5 is a logical choice. But you do need to score out of 5. Both levels are essentially the same skill wise . I would do 6 over 5 if they were held in the same season. But where I live they are two different seasons so we do 5 then 7 two months later. I don't skip 5 only because the layoff of not competing would be too long . Are you going to miss anything in 5 by skipping to 6? Only if you just love that music. :)

Piggybacking on this comment.... in regards to beam and floor routines when do you start choreographing and learning the new routines? There's more I would like to question/add but it may "out me" lol. Anyone want to volunteer for me to message them in regards to this particular situation? -competing diff levels in back to back seasons

I am not super familiar with gyms in Maryland, but based on what I saw of teams at the L5 state meet, not a single team that was there follows a 36+ in compulsories to move up rule.
I used mymeetscores.com and looked at girls from each and every gym that was there - their L5 and in some cases, L6-L8. Some girls scored 36+ at each compulsory level, but there were plenty that didn't.
Your gym may TELL YOU that is the rule... And they may follow it for the most part, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

I agree. My DD scored better as a L6 than she ever did as a L4 (and better than her L5 score out). Just looking at the state meet from her L4 season, if gyms in our state had required 36s to move up from L4 that year, only 1/5 of the girls would have moved up. (Granted, maybe a lot of girls had higher scores in the season than at state; but my experience has been that state is generally one of the highest scoring meets for most kids.)

I agree. My DD scored better as a L6 than she ever did as a L4 (and better than her L5 score out). Just looking at the state meet from her L4 season, if gyms in our state had required 36s to move up from L4 that year, only 1/5 of the girls would have moved up. (Granted, maybe a lot of girls had higher scores in the season than at state; but my experience has been that state is generally one of the highest scoring meets for most kids.)
Lol, I even checked some of the girls' whole scoring histories... And looked at other girls from those teams if I was still unsure. YES, I AM A GEEK, lol.

I like the ideas of no back walkovers considering my girls back...she can do bhs on beam!
Like the idea of no "text errors"
Is bars only real issue transition?
Beam and Floor angles too are harder in L6(180) than L5(150). This is probably not a big deal compared to the other things being discussed, but I think this is what you were asking? I have no horse in this race at this point, but in this area almost everyone does L5 and L6. Even the super strong gym that has an elite and some HOPES kids has often had their kids do both. There's a young superstar kid (like won Puma Jr's division at all but one meet, made DI camp) who did L5 this year and I'm interested to see what they'll do with her in the fall. Good luck with the decision!

Also need to consider that "having a skill" in isolation is absolutely not the same thing as being able to compete that skill in a routine, connected to other skills. The latter often takes quite a bit longer as skills become more difficult, so just keep that in mind as you try to estimate how close a gymnast is to being "ready" for a level.
Kind of going off track, but boy have I learned this! This paragraph should be gold stared in the Gymnastics 101 bible....

Piggybacking on this comment.... in regards to beam and floor routines when do you start choreographing and learning the new routines? There's more I would like to question/add but it may "out me" lol. Anyone want to volunteer for me to message them in regards to this particular situation? -competing diff levels in back to back seasons
We have girls that did L5 and L6 in the same season (at least 3 meets of L5 before moving to L6). If you want to message me, feel free.

My DD did the 5 to 7 jump (our gym hadn't tried 6, yet).
Scored 35s in L4. 35s in L5. 37s in L7.

L5 was good for her in that she used it more as a practice for L7. She upgraded when she was able: switch leaps & BHS on beam.
She even was trying to cast and clear hip to HS. It was a little rocky sometimes, but it definitely helped in the long run!!

My DD did the 5 to 7 jump (our gym hadn't tried 6, yet).
Scored 35s in L4. 35s in L5. 37s in L7.

L5 was good for her in that she used it more as a practice for L7. She upgraded when she was able: switch leaps & BHS on beam.
She even was trying to cast and clear hip to HS. It was a little rocky sometimes, but it definitely helped in the long run!!
What were her bar scores?
Just wondering because DD's coach wanted our girls to go 7 this season after a decent 6, but bars never getting above 9.15 (DD scored the highest on bars on her team) and I feel like she's no where near Clearhip to handstand, stalder, giant or toe on.

I want her to stay 6 but her teammates will go 7 and hope that those skills come, but we hoped last season and we have been working that clearhip with no barely making it to horizontal on a good day.

Beam and Floor angles too are harder in L6(180) than L5(150). This is probably not a big deal compared to the other things being discussed, but I think this is what you were asking? I have no horse in this race at this point, but in this area almost everyone does L5 and L6. Even the super strong gym that has an elite and some HOPES kids has often had their kids do both. There's a young superstar kid (like won Puma Jr's division at all but one meet, made DI camp) who did L5 this year and I'm interested to see what they'll do with her in the fall. Good luck with the decision!

Those angles killed my DD this year. She just can't quite get to 180 on her split jumps/leaps.

Those angles killed my DD this year. She just can't quite get to 180 on her split jumps/leaps.
Yup! Puma Jr was fine on floor for L5, they're getting close to 180 actually, but on beam....ugggg...she wasn't close. That's another thing that's been great about USAIGC for her. IGC Bronze only needs 90 on beam and when she moves to Silver it's still only 120. So she can compete bigger skills than L3(90) or L4(120) but not stress about those angles on beam and continue working on them.

I think Level 5 is a great level to hone bar skills, and other fundamentals necessary for strong optionals. It is also (as everyone else has stated) a particularly low scoring bar 'level' if your form & angles aren't pristine.

Level 6 can be a good level for gymnasts who either need another year to perfect some form issues, or wouldn't do well with the mental aspect of Level 5 scoring.

Either way, Level 7 will depend on whether the form and basics are firmly in place. Different gyms may have different philosophies but either choice can work and work well.

Yep, those angle differences are huge. My girl is doing L6, her angles aren't up to 180 and her scores are taking the hit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back