To Move Up or Not...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Need some opinions out there. My DD is 9 years old and a L6 scoring strong 9's on floor, vault and beam and mid to high 8's on bars with one 9.1. We have a few meets after state and coaches are considering moving her to L7 for those. Typically she would wait until the fall to move up a level. Her giants are good but she does not have the kip cast giant connection yet. What would you do?

What is your dd's personality like? If she is happy and satisified being a strong level six, enjoying winning medals and the same age as her level mates, I would hesitate if she were my daughter. The only reason I would move up mid season is if she is bored and needs a challenge, and has the maturity to ber okay with not winning meets at the new level for a while.

Does she have all of her other L7 skills and are they strong and consistent--ie beam series, robhslo for floor, flyaway from giants?
It turns into a really long year when they try to do 2 levels back to back. I've seen more than one girl at our gym do a 6/7 season and end up repeating L7 because they are just physically and mentally beat and don't have the drive over the summer to work on getting all the L8 skills. Also if she competes some L7 meets and doesn't really have solid skills she may end up doing it again also.

Sometimes its best to come at a new level fresh and rested.

Does she have all of her other L7 skills and are they strong and consistent
Stella, given that your daughter is doing well at L6, what gymlawmom said here is the key.

With all the extra time and effort aside, if most of her L7 skills are as good as her L6 and what's lacking is close (like her giant connection), then advancing will definitely be the right thing to do. Same thing is true if your gym allows a gymnast to compete at the previous level while uptraining.

Our gym typically does 1/2 year of 6 or skips it altogether. I will give you my 2 scenarios to see if it helps you.

My older daughter did 1 year of L4, then L5,6,7 (age 9-10) the next year. However she has been struggling to get to L8 since then. So she has 2 full years as L7. Last year she didn't really compete. This year she did one L7 meet to regain confidence but plans to do the rest of the year as L8.
My younger daughter did one year of both L4 and L5. Then a split year of L6/L7 (age 10). Then L7 the next year and L8 last year and this year. A good friend and team mate did the same path.

Therefore it depends on the child. It sounds like she is a very strong 6 and why not move to 7? She plans to do L7 next year anyway it sounds like so she just gets a good jumpstart. I actually think scoring at L6 is tougher but regulations have been changing so who knows.

Good luck

If she has all of her other Level 7 skills and is planning to compete Level 7 in the fall as well, I don't see why she shouldn't try it out at a couple of spring meets. If she has her giants, it should not take long to get them out of a kip, cast.

If she has the requirements and is not to concerned about placing at meets I would say move up! She will have so much more fun having her own routines and music!

Good advice given. If this is just for fun with the idea of her repeating L-7 next year then sure why not? But if its to blow through level 7 and move to 8 next year asap then I'd say why rush her. There is something to be said for letting a kid enjoy getting higher scores while they can.

I'm sure her coaches know best.

I"ve been thinking what supportive dad said- if her coaches think it's a good idea, then maybe you should ask them if there is any downside to it or discuss your reservations and see what they say. There is a difference in styles among the people on this board where some are very concerned about whether all the skills are perfected and others who are more concerned about their child being challenged and getting the skills as they go and others who have other reasons for moving /not moving. Ultimately, it's your coach you have to live with so find out what they think!

I agree it's utmost important to find out what the coaches are thinking and it needs to be regarded highly in a decision. But, to repeat a level often is much more than pursuing higher scores at the current level.

While the presence of challenge is well and good, very few gymnasts can sustain their love and joy for gymnastics solely by reaching more advanced levels. I believe occasional success is a big part of the equation. Many gymnasts with potentials have prematurely left the sport due to prior short-sighted decisions by their coaches and their parents.

Need some opinions out there. My DD is 9 years old and a L6 scoring strong 9's on floor, vault and beam and mid to high 8's on bars with one 9.1. We have a few meets after state and coaches are considering moving her to L7 for those. Typically she would wait until the fall to move up a level. Her giants are good but she does not have the kip cast giant connection yet. What would you do?

Move her up Stella!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back