Parents Too Much, Too Soon? Level 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymFlipGirl

Proud Parent
Hi all, I'm brand new to the forum, and my daughter is new to gymnastics.

I'm not sure if this is a question for a coach, or parent. Any input/advice is appreciated!

I actually have two questions/concerns...

1) In a matter of 4 months, my 7 year old daughter went from a Beginner in a recreational class, to being invited to Level 2 team. This seems like a crazy fast pace to me- I know absolutely nothing about gymnastics, but I know my daughter LOVES it and is constantly flipping around the house making me a nervous wreck! I'm worried she will burn out too soon at this pace. I guess my question is, will she miss out on learning basics by advancing too fast?

2) At our gym, at level 2, they practice for 12 hours a week (4 hours x 3 days). I'm curious, how many hours do other level 2 teams practice for? I think our level 3 is also 12 hours a week and then at level 4 it goes up to 16 hours. Is this the norm?

Thanks for any comments...

Lost Newby Gym Mom

Our Level 2s practice 6 hrs per week (3 days/2 hrs each day). Our L3s practice 12 hrs/week.

12 hrs/week for L2 seems high to me.

This is how it was for my dd also. 6 hours as a level 2 (3 days/2 hours). They increased to 9 hours right after the state meet (3 days/3 hours). And then 6 months later, they officially moved up to level 3 and went to 12 hours (3 days/4 hours).

However, they increased the level 2's hours this year and now they go 9 hours a week from the start. So it's:
training group: 4
level 2: 9
level 3: 12
level 4,5: 15

4 months does seem pretty quick, but level 2 is pretty basic too. I am sure with 12 hours of training a week, she'll learn all that she needs to and do great. But I personally think 12 hours for level 2 seems a little too much.

My DD advanced pretty much the same. First walked into a gym October 2013, it wasn't a good fit for us and we found another gym 2 months later and she was placed straight on their level 3 team. She competed level 3 mid 2014 and level 5 mid 2015, now training level 6 with first comp early 2016.

The good news is she's never burned out. She still loves it as much as the day she started, if not more. No desire to ever give it up anytime soon. However, she is missing some basics in my unqualified opinion. The skills are there, but form and the little things like pointy toes and straight legs and some basic flexibility are very hit and miss. She's definitely not quite as good as her teammates who started at level 1 and have been right through all the levels, some even repeating a few.

She's still terrified of beam. Visibly shakes so much on it that it's almost comical. I've always wondered if that's something that will come with more time and confidence or if she's always going to hate it.

Good luck to your DD on her journey. She must be very talented!

I don't think that joining the level 2 team at 7 would be a concern for advancing too fast. I believe the minimum age for that level is 5yo, which is often just barely out of the preschool program for some little gymmies.
However, 12 hours a week at level 2 is quite a bit.
DDs gym doesn't compete L2, but the L3s practice 6 hours & the L4s practice 10.5 hours.

Reactions: sce
That sounds similar to what my daughter did. It can feel quite surreal to have things happen that quickly though. I felt dazed for weeks at how quickly things were moving. I was expecting my daughter to take a rec class once or twice a week! Not be on a team within two months and compete just over five months after starting beginning rec classes! But she absolutely loves it.

My dd is on the Xcel Bronze team right now (4hrs/wk) and the current plan is for her to move over to JO level 3 or 4 this summer which will be either 9 or 12 hours a week in the gym.

If your dd is thriving and doesn't think it'll be too much, then it's probably not. Also, and you don't have to answer here if you don't want to, but just think about it: how often is she doing gymnastics on her own at home? In my opinion (and extremely limited experience, having a child who constantly does flips and things at home), it'll be MUCH better for her to be in the gym for more of those hours so that she can learn things safely and properly the first time.

On a personal note, that's the only reason I wish that we had been financially able to move dd over to JO a couple months ago when she was first invited: so she could get more hours in the gym. She's already doing JO hours, but at home where it's not as safe and where she's likely picking up more bad habits than she otherwise would.

My daughter is a L4 who trains 9 hours a week

Our L2s train 5.5 hours
L3 7.5
L4 and up 9-12

Personally I think 12 hours for L2 is far too much

Edited to add, its what you do during the hours that count.

We moved from a gym that wanted my daughter at L2/3 to do 12 hours but there was a ton of do nothing time, in other words 8girls, one doing bars 7 sitting and watching

My daughter does more in one hour at this gym then she did in 3 at the other. So her 9 hours is equivalent to about 16 at the other gym.

4 hour practices seem so long, particularly for a 7 year old who is pretty new to gymnastics. The 12 hours seems a bit high, as well.

My DD only trained 11 hrs/wk as recently as a year ago, after her first level 4 season.

DD's current gym doesn't compete level 2s as they start competing at level 3, but preteam goes some 4-6 hours per week. Level 3s only go 7-9 hours/week.

DS is currently competing his first season of level 4 (that's the boys intro level), and he trains 7 hours per week, for six events.

Is this TOPS/elite track?

Personally I think 12 hrs a week at lvl 2 is a bit much but every gym is different. If your talking about a LARGE team I can understand the more hrs. Gives the coaches more time to work with the kiddos. Try to establish a good relationship to trust the coach will put your gymnast in the best situation for success whether it's advancing levels or repeating levels.

Burnt out gymnast ?? the philosophy I learned is every child is different. what works for some won't work for others. You have to figure out what kind of environment your child needs to take this roller coaster to the end. With every decision made just talk to your daughter about how she feels and what can be expected of her every time something changes.

Best thing is to look at your gyms level 4 group. If it much smaller than the level 2 group than you can figure out the drop out percentage at your gym. If percentage is high there might be your answer to "too much too soon." Personally don't understand competing at level 2 or the need for 12 hours at that level unless there is major up training going on.

Thank you all for all the info. Looks like it's very individual to the gym...

I forgot to mention that our level 2 does compete. Which I guess was part of my concern...she's skipping over pre-team and level 1, which does not compete. Seems like that would have been a good transition for her. And from what I hear (and see from all the banners on the walls) the level 2 team has won state the last few years. Same for level 3 and 4 (it's the same coaching team, I think)

I guess I'll find out soon enough if it's too much for her, but my gut says it won't be. She just spent the last hour before bed showing her big sis all of her skills...When she goes to class now, the two hours fly by for her. We'll see :)

Best thing is to look at your gyms level 4 group. If it much smaller than the level 2 group than you can figure out the drop out percentage at your gym. If percentage is high there might be your answer to "too much too soon"

Good idea, I'll definitely do that! :)

I have never seen a level 2 team here, but our level 3s train 12 hours, the L4 and L5 girls train 12-17 and the L6+ girls train 16-27 hours. 12 hours sounds like a lot of L2, but I don't know anything about the level. My DD started in October of 13 in beginner rec class, went to xcel bronze team in December of that year, xcel gold the next, and now this year is getting ready to start L6 in two weeks. I know the ~whoa, what's going on~ feeling. We've gone from an hour a week to 21 (soon to be 24) hours a week and meets that require plane rides- in two years. It's all kinda surreal, but my DD isn't close to burning out. She did start this craziness at almost 13 though, so her years were numbered before she started... With a much younger gymmie I can completely understand wanting to pace yourself. I would let her be your guide in if something is too fast- what she tells you and what she shows you with her behavior and attitude.

Personally I think 12 hrs a week at lvl 2 is a bit much but every gym is different. If your talking about a LARGE team I can understand the more hrs. Gives the coaches more time to work with the kiddos.

With every decision made just talk to your daughter about how she feels and what can be expected of her every time something changes.

What is considered a "large" team? She hasn't actually started yet, so haven't seen exactly how many girls are level 2 this go around, but when I sat and watched my daughter in rec class, I think I know who the level 2 team was, and it was always around 8 girls.
And thanks for the solid advice :)

That sounds similar to what my daughter did. It can feel quite surreal to have things happen that quickly.
In my opinion (and extremely limited experience, having a child who constantly does flips and things at home), it'll be MUCH better for her to be in the gym for more of those hours so that she can learn things safely and properly the first time.

Yes! We went to the last day of Intermediate, I was thinking she would stay that level since she was so new, or possibly move up to Advanced, but that was the day she got invited - I was floored, she was beaming :) I know what you mean about the at home stuff- she begged for a beam and bars (?!!!) for Christmas! I'm willing to put tape on the floor, but not sure about all this other stuff-

As for those banners on the wall. The ones that hold value are in the optional levels 7,8,9 and 10. It is a long long road from level 2 ......
There are certainly plenty of those as well, but I guess I haven't noticed as much since we are nowhere near that level I just found out what the difference between Excel and JO was last week- that's how green I am

And from what I hear (and see from all the banners on the walls) the level 2 team has won state the last few years. Same for level 3 and 4 (it's the same coaching team, I think)
For perspective, our gym competes L2 and L3.
And won a lot, including states. There were also lots of meets where we were the only team competing, especially at L2. In other words our girls were competing against each other. L2 and L3 are not required. Although competing at meet gives them lots of "meet" experience. Which is great, our kids are very used to meets.

L4 is a whole different thing, competition gets harder and up it goes from there.

Again, L2 and competing is a great experience. And personally I think 12 hours is a lot.

My DD walked into a rec class that she received for a Christmas present from her grandparents (I thought it was too expensive... OH! The IRONY!) back in February of 2013 at the age of 5. After one day and one 40 min class she was invited to the fast track/pre-team. She was moved to level 3 in May of 2013 with first comp being fall 2013. She is now planning to score out of 5 this next weekend and will begin competing 6 by the end of the month... A LOT has happened in just shy of 3 years!! It is a whirlwind!

DD practices 12 hrs a week now and will move to 13 hrs as a level 6... That many hours for a level 2 sounds like a whole bunch more than the "norm" I've seen on here... Unless, like another poster mentioned they are doing serious up training...

Do what you can to limit her gymnastics outside of the gym--- good habits you can enforce now.

Our gym believes in really developing core fundamentals/foundations and form... They won't just push a kid through to get them through. We also don't compete level 2.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back