Parents Tops/hopes/usag?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipnastic

Proud Parent
Can some of you explain the tops/hopes program to me? I thought it was sort if like a "supplement" that is used in conjunction with usag, for young gymnast who seem to be talented, but after reading the other thread regarding the system, I'm thoroughly confused! :)

Yes........What I know......
Tops is to identify gifted athletes at a young age 7, and begin grooming them for high level gymnastics. This is done by stringent conditioning, and skills on all events..... Typically, you will see those girls excel at a faster pace than a 'regular' gymnast......you can do TOPS and USAG at the same time, but in some gyms the 'one level per year' may slow these athletes down. You do NOT need to do TOPs in order to become elite......this program is not a requirement and some gyms do not do TOPs at all.

HOPES is the bridge between young Level 10s wanting to go Elite, but may still need a bit more seasoning.....they must qualify at national qualifiers and obtain a minimum score.....these kids want to go elite soon.

USAG- is the main program most gymnasts who have aspirations of reaching level 10 and or doing gymnastics in college, or even getting a scholarship.

Please correct me if I am wrong on something.....i do not have an elite athlete....

One last thing.......many gyms have TOPS programs that are not true TOPs.....they let anyone do it for the sake of the rigor......a true TOPs program would have the best of the USAG girls and train them differently.

It is not USAG that you mean, it is JO, which is "junior Olympics program" it has nothing at all to do with the Olympics though.

USAG is USA gymnastics and they run all the Elite, hopes, TOPs and JO programs.

Hopes girls can be L9 and L10, sometimes even L8. It is more an age and skill level thing. Junior elite and the older age group of Hopes, can and do overlap.

It is not USAG that you mean, it is JO, which is "junior Olympics program" it has nothing at all to do with the Olympics though.

USAG is USA gymnastics and they run all the Elite, hopes, TOPs and JO programs.

Hopes girls can be L9 and L10, sometimes even L8. It is more an age and skill level thing. Junior elite and the older age group of Hopes, can and do overlap.
^^ This^^

Dd did Hopes (younger age group) right after L8 season. But she had many higher level skills.

One last thing.......many gyms have TOPS programs that are not true TOPs.....they let anyone do it for the sake of the rigor......a true TOPs program would have the best of the USAG girls and train them differently.
Our gym offers TOPS classes that provides the added conditioning work and is open to all age appropriate girls. It also has an elite TOPS team that does the same and prepares them for the state level testing when they are "ready" to undergo such testing.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back